Close

ephatch member

Lightbulb !!!BURNOUT!!! has this happened to anyone?

Okay I was racing a focus after work. I cranked the revs and dropped the clutch to heat up the tires. About half way through the burnout I noticed that my ABS light was on. After the race I turned of my car and restarted it and the ABS light went off. It hasnt come on since. Can anyone make sense of this??? BTW the focus was equiped with intake, throttlebody, header, and custom cat-back exhaust........When will these focus's learn that their no match for the power of the "H". I totally dusted the guy. We even ran again cause he said he got a shitty start. :p

Re: !!!BURNOUT!!! has this happened to anyone?

Originally posted by MYEP3
    Okay I was racing a focus after work. I cranked the revs and dropped the clutch to heat up the tires. About half way through the burnout I noticed that my ABS light was on. After the race I turned of my car and restarted it and the ABS light went off. It hasnt come on since. Can anyone make sense of this??? BTW the focus was equiped with intake, throttlebody, header, and custom cat-back exhaust........When will these focus's learn that their no match for the power of the "H". I totally dusted the guy. We even ran again cause he said he got a shitty start. :p
    he must of been non SVT..

race an svt.. they will give you a good run

Not sure how our ABS system works, but if it was reading totally different wheel speeds it may have gotten confused( Like your front wheels are doing 30 and your back wheels are stopped). It may be thinking uh oh back wheels are locked, modulate brakes, but they remained stoped so it registered a error.

Just a guess here.

I think it specifically says in the manual do not do a burnout over 30 mph.

way to heat up those tires -- lol

Originally posted by SiRman
    Not sure how our ABS system works, but if it was reading totally different wheel speeds it may have gotten confused( Like your front wheels are doing 30 and your back wheels are stopped). It may be thinking uh oh back wheels are locked, modulate brakes, but they remained stopped so it registered a error.

Just a guess here.
    Our cars have an (Open) differential, unlike a posi or limited slip design. It allows the wheel with the least traction to spin freely, if the brakes were applied and care stationary as if to do a brake stand or "burn-out" the ABS thinks your right wheel is spinning beyond the capabilities of the system (very erratically) while your left wheel only moves slightly or at the same rate as the other three wheels for that matter. You just confused the hell out of the ABS control modul for a second no harm.

My friend thought he screwed up a rented Nissan Xterra we took out booney-crashing really hard through a bunch of mud and crap, he came out of the mud and though it would be cool to do a burn out in 6" of red clay, well about ten seconds into it the ABS light came on & stayed on, he turned it on & off a few times and it was re-set. It happened again when he did it on the pavement.

-Ryan

ephatch member
    Heh, fastest car in the world....a rental.

ephatch member

Burnout Help

Maybe you guys can give me a few hints here.....

I was at the dragstrip, and wanted to do a nice, smokey burnout prior to staging.

I pulled the E-Brake, brought the revs up to 5k, and side stepped the clutch. I got good wheel spin, but it just dragged the car forward instead of staying still and just smoking the tires. Is there just too much grip at the track? Do I need to really, really crank the E-Brake? More revs?

What are you guys doing to get good burnouts? My car is stock, motor-wise, except for an AEM CAI.

Thanks.

- Jason

burnouts on street tires really have no benefit. unless you're on drag slicks, you're not really heating up the compound enough to make any significant traction difference.

ephatch member
    Well, while I appreciate the response, you made a couple of assumptions without answering my question.

First, I did not mean to imply that I was looking for a traction benefit from the burnout....just a nice smoke show.

Second, I belive that a large enough burnout would result in the tires retaining enough heat to provide a positive traction benefit....even on street tires. Granted, I'm not intending to melt my tires down for that benefit (my car doesn't make enough power to make it worth the difference), but I'm just curious how to do a still, non-rolling burnout.

- Jason

Originally posted by JasonS1
    Well, while I appreciate the response, you made a couple of assumptions without answering my question.

First, I did not mean to imply that I was looking for a traction benefit from the burnout....just a nice smoke show.

Second, I belive that a large enough burnout would result in the tires retaining enough heat to provide a positive traction benefit....even on street tires. Granted, I'm not intending to melt my tires down for that benefit (my car doesn't make enough power to make it worth the difference), but I'm just curious how to do a still, non-rolling burnout.

- Jason
    i too would like to know how... i'm not a racer or anything.. i don't go to the track.. but i would like to learn the correct way of doing it.. can never get a burn out only the regular peal out.. :o

Seriously I don't know what to tell you, I have only tried once on dry pavement and the result was dragging the ass end about six feet and the entire front of the car feeling like it was gonna shake itself apart from all the wheel-hop.

Also I tried once in the rain, I was able to get it going for about a couple seconds w/ no hop but I won't try again because I think it's really bad for the car.

-Ryan

I have to say you can get streat tires good and warm and and it will help out in traction. When I race on a oval track I run 13" tires on my Prelude the smaller tires get me better out of the corners. Well anyways after about 3 hard laps of racing you can feel the tires griping a lot better and I can get a few my MPH out of my car and even getter better into the turns. I know it is my tires and not the rubber on the track because I have driven off the track and when I pull up the truck my tires are all full of small stones in the rubber and you can very easy take your finger nail and push it into the tread. The best way to know when my tires are hot is when my rear end starts to hop in the corners. If they are not hot my front end will slide right up the track and so will the rear. But when warm the rear wants to grip but hops and the front just stays in its tracks.

Originally posted by siver-SI
    I have to say you can get streat tires good and warm and and it will help out in traction. When I race on a oval track I run 13" tires on my Prelude the smaller tires get me better out of the corners. Well anyways after about 3 hard laps of racing you can feel the tires griping a lot better and I can get a few my MPH out of my car and even getter better into the turns. I know it is my tires and not the rubber on the track because I have driven off the track and when I pull up the truck my tires are all full of small stones in the rubber and you can very easy take your finger nail and push it into the tread. The best way to know when my tires are hot is when my rear end starts to hop in the corners. If they are not hot my front end will slide right up the track and so will the rear. But when warm the rear wants to grip but hops and the front just stays in its tracks.
    ... don't want to be rude.. but.. what does all that have anyt'n to do with burnout??...

Well it was said that stock tires getting heated up would not help in traction and form what I have felt in my car and seen on the track you can get some benifit from getting your tires good and warm for the sake of traction.

Thread Information