Close

Question powdercoat stock rims or buy 17s

Im debating on powdercoating my stock 15s gunmetal or buy gunmetal 17s. However I really dont want to compromise the ride quality with 17s because in Ohio our roads are really rough! Any advice?

17"ers is does not really affect the ride. How about going with 16"ers in gun metal. Member "mixedupneko" painted his stock rims black, PM him if you want to see pictures. Come to think of it, mixedupneko, do you have any new pics of your car/wheels.

Wouldnt 17s be really harsh driving over potholes and bumps (roads arent smooth in Ohio)

Has anyone considered powdercoating their stock wheels? I Think it costs around $100 a wheel, is that right?

corbinh
    I have to say that putting 17's on my car I can notice the ride difference..its not so harsh that its unbearable but I can definetely feel and hear the difference the 17's make. A little more road noise and a little stiffer ride. The roads around here arent the best but if I had to live with potholes and really bad roads all the time I personally wouldnt put 17's on.

just my .02...maybe im just getting old :)

If I got 17s Id have to take them off during the winter

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    It's not the size of the wheel that affects the ride...it's the size of the tire.

Isn't road noise also produced by the tires pattern ?

I couldnt find those pics of that guy who painted his stock wheels black, anyone know where I can find those?

Does anyone know how much powdercoating is?

The greater amount of rubber in stock tires would tend to damp some of the road noise out.

ephatch member
    In one of the forums (i'm not sure which one) i asked if i should paint my rims white and someone said that you should powdercoat them and they would look a lot better. i think he said it costs $150 for the set of four but i could be wrong.

It was me who told you to powdercoat them. White never looks good when it's painted on wheels. You'd need a powdercoat to deal with all the lil chips and stuff they'll get. Anyways, I'd get 17s. You'll notice a dramatic improvement in handling, and that's what it's all about!

*edit* One more thing. Perhaps you should have somebody photoshop some white OEM wheels on an ep. That way you'd get a good idea of what they'd look like!

ephatch member
    thats not a bad idea. thanks

Thread Information