Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've heard the JL audio amps at a local shop, and they do sound great, but I'm wondering if less expensive amps sound almost as good. I guess I'll have to check different shops to listen to various setups.

I have another question now. You ask what type of sound am I trying to achieve - clarity or loudness? (That's SQ vs SPL, right?) Well, I was wondering, just based on looking at paper specs of different amps (first, are they reliable?), what are things to look for if I were to go for more clarity or more boom? Does that make sense?

For example, here's the JL Audio 300/4. All I know is that I'm getting 75W RMS x 4 or 150W RMS bridged x 2. But what do the other things tell me as far as this amp is very good (or bad)? I'm sorry for the onslaught of questions, but I'm learning a lot from various forums about car audio. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my questions. :)

75 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
    150 W RMS x 2 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm (11V-14.5V)
    THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm
    S/N Ratio*: >108.5 dB
    Frequency Response: 5 Hz-30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
    Damping Factor: >200 @ 4 ohm per ch./50 Hz

ampothon

look also at the THD or total harmonic distortion,most amp manufacturers rate at a 4 ohm load, when you decrease the resistance you also drive the THD way up! very bad especially if you want clear bass. I'm an insaller at best
    buy and those fubr subs are very good for the price they hit very hard and pretty clean, and you also do not need to feed them the 700rms they call for because of the high sensitivity rating.( how well the speaker turns power into sound) I would recomend just one 12" Fubr in a 1.2 cubic ft. sealed box and a sony mono subamp also bestbuy. that amp is the best bang for the buck, it says on the specs that it makes 400 watts @ 2ohms. but we tested it our selves and the thing really makes 588WATTS @2ohms 12.4v!!!:p

ephatch member
    Damn I didn't get it because they had a setup in the store and I didn't care for it. Sales over......:'( Now they got a Rockford Fosgate sale amp and 2 12"'s in box for 275.00.

bass

yeah , dont ever judge a sub in an open air environment like the way we display subs at best buy a sub will sound totally different in the car due to "cabin gain". or in car response..:(

if you dont want to spend alot to get some good equipment then check out etronics.com or ikesound.com thats where I get my stuff and have had nothing but good experience with both.. check out the jbl bp1200.1 and the kicker soloL7s for 199.00:D :D

Does Best Buy install stuff that you bring instead of buying from them? I've heard that a lot of audio shops don't like doing that.

it depends on the shop but well install just about everthing, we just only warranty our parts. the only advantage is when you see free same day install. means we wave the normal 48$ labor fee and you only have to buy the parts needed for your application. Other than that it is the same price to install if you buy from us or bring in your own stuff. also with amp installs we will only lifetime warranty if you buy a new amp kit they will not normally use preinstalled power wire, rcas, etc. ;)

tell me what you want installed I'll let you know what they "should" charge. :D

I have an Alpine headunit, front component speakers, and a subwoofer + box right now. I just need an amplifier to power everything, and I need someone to install all of it. I don't have any wiring kits so I'll need to buy that from whoever is doing the install.

A local audio shop has quoted me about $940 for a JL Audio 300/4 amp + wiring kits and installation of everything that I mentioned above. The shop has a good reputation, but that's a lot of money. Does that sound about right? The amp itself is $499. Amp kit is around $140 (i think that's what he said). Everything else must be labor.

Do you have the kit and harness for the Si yet? also do you want speaker wire ran to the components?( recommended, being stock wire is only good for 50watts rms) 140$ for amp kit sounds about right if its a monster kit and a four channel kit. We would charge about 150 for the amp install , 100 for the components, and another hundred for the head unit. ( expensive I know). give or take 50. You should buy the amp you want and do some shopping. Acually that shop would be way lower than us as long as they know they definately have to cut the doors in order to fit the components. that would at least be two custom charges of 15.99.

too bad u dont live around here id do the hole thing parts and all for like 250:'( And it would be done right:angel: Be careful who you go with, they might try to pull a hack job on you .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information