Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    anc325

03 rsx premium vs. 03 sir

well i went to the local acura dealer tonite and i found out that the rsx premium is pretty much the same price as the civic sir, now i know youi gys have opinions about this debate, im interested to hear what you all have to say about it, does this car even compare to the sir, what are the benefits and drawbacks of getting an rsx versus a sir...would you guys even cross shop these two cars?

ADAM

all opinions are welcome

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar
    This wasn't a hard decision for me at all!

1/ The SiR has MUCH more utility. A back seat you can actually fit 2 adults in, bigger trunk, and the hatch is just amazing!

2/ The seats! Yes the RSX Premium has those classy leather jobs, but the EP seats are just amazing.

3/ The uniqueness of the SiR cannot be overstated. I see plenty of RSXs everyday, but my SiR is one of the only 2 for miles! The SiR is different... From the dash-mounted shifter to the seats, this puppy is set apart from the "me-too" sport compacts.

4/ If you buy the RSX Premium, you only open yourself to the question: "Why didn't you go full out and get the Type-S?"

Admittedly, the RSX does have sexy lines, 16" wheels standard, and it has the clout of being an Acura. It also has much more aftermarket options, but the EP is picking up steam!

The cars are about equal when it comes to performance.

You are going to get a biased opinion here... But bottom-line... The EP is more practical and more unique.

I agree with everything SiR Medic said, that's why I bought mine.

Isn't a base RSX like $19K (US)?
    Here in the states (I'm assuming you're not in the US), these
    Si's can be had from 14K (leftover '02) to 17K fairly easily.
    Just something to consider, unless you've got Honda dealers
    who won't budge on an Si(R).

Same price, I'd pick the RSX everyday of the week and twice on Sundays:D
    My reasons are:
    16" rims with wider tires.
    Climate control.
    Standard side airbags.
    Looks, name, longer warranty, dealer loaner whenever you bring your Acura for service longer than an hour.
    And since you're in Canada, something I sorely miss in the winter, heated seats and mirrors. Contrary to what seems to be a popular opinion on this website, the seats are identical save for stiching and surface material.

In US, nowadays, if you can get it for $2000 less than a discounted RSX, then I'd pick the Si.
    Here are Si's pluses.
    Red stitching in the seats. Type-S intake manifold and a bigger throttle body which give it more potential from mods. More room in the back.

The Civic does have some big minuses though, at least as far as I'm concerned anyways.
    1) Shorter warranty.
    2) Poor resale value compared to an RSX.
    3) Now, I'm not trying to piss you guys off or anything, so don't take it the wrong way. Opinions are just opinions and everyone is entitled to their own. So anyways, here it goes.... When someone asks what you're driving, and I don't mean enthusiats like here, but some girl, your parents, your fiancee's parents, whatever. What would you rather say? Well, one thing for sure, I would rather not say that I'm driving a Civic. Because as close to the RSX as the Si is, it is still after all a Civic and not an Acura. A fact that will haunt you untill after you sell it.

Again, if you can get it for $2000 less than an RSX, then the resale value and shorter warranty are really not a big deal. In some circles (here for example) a Civic name may actually carry more value than an RSX, so my big minuses might not matter at all to you. But if the price is the same, I still would pick the RSX, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Ps. I am biased. After all, I do drive an RSX.;)

i bought the ep

3K less than the rsx (price i got it for)
    cool seats, rsx leather feels fake.
    lots of room.
    pretty quick, fun to drive.

There have been a few times when i see a base rsx on the road and think that I could be driving that right now.....but the civic just fits me. I think of acura (as much as I adore them) and I think yuppie. I envision old people. :)

Originally posted by Gibhunter

3) Now, I'm not trying to piss you guys off or anything, so don't take it the wrong way. Opinions are just opinions and everyone is entitled to their own. So anyways, here it goes.... When someone asks what you're driving, and I don't mean enthusiats like here, but some girl, your parents, your fiancee's parents, whatever. What would you rather say? Well, one thing for sure, I would rather not say that I'm driving a Civic. Because as close to the RSX as the Si is, it is still after all a Civic and not an Acura. A fact that will haunt you untill after you sell it.

Again, if you can get it for $2000 less than an RSX, then the resale value and shorter warranty are really not a big deal. In some circles (here for example) a Civic name may actually carry more value than an RSX, so my big minuses might not matter at all to you. But if the price is the same, I still would pick the RSX, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Ps. I am biased. After all, I do drive an RSX.;)
    WTF are you talking about? The only people that will give you more prestige that you drive a 160 hp RSX over a 160 hp civic are the ignorant fucks who don't know their left from right when it comes to imports. A Honda is a Honda is a Honda. I tell you what I would rather not say.. that I drive the girly RSX. Go Type S or go home. Base sux ballz. Seriously, trade in your car for the auto base, and go some place else if you are going to have a snobby attitude because you have a damn Acura badge. Be a man and put a JDM Honda badge on it. And yes, I admit.. the k20a3 sucks. But the more I mod it, the more I like it.
    Last edited by RMC22; 06-25-2003 at 11:43 PM.

Originally posted by RMC22

WTF are you talking about? The only people that will give you more prestige that you drive a 160 hp RSX over a 160 hp civic are the ignorant fucks who don't know their left from right when it comes to imports. A Honda is a Honda is a Honda. I tell you what I would rather not say.. that I drive the girly RSX. Go Type S or go home. Base sux ballz. Seriously, trade in your car for the auto base, and go some place else if you are going to have a snobby attitude because you have a damn Acura badge. Be a man and put a JDM Honda badge on it. And yes, I admit.. the k20a3 sucks. But the more I mod it, the more I like it.
    YEAH...let him have it!!;)

to Gibhunter,

When a Type-S rolls up next to ya...when your chick is in the passenger side..."..WHAT YOU GONNA DOOO.....you're a FOOL...":D Just pretend to shuffle some CDs at the lights so an IDENTICAL car (in her eyes) don't whoop yur ass. Or you'll be trying to explain to her, "...but, but baby...that is the special edition top-of-the-line shitz..." (Be prepared to feel shame):o

j/k...since you own an Acura, I would consider you a bro, but with the "I got an Acura NOT Honda and DEFINATELY NOT Civic attitude..." you can just be the bastard child that no one wants to claim:'(

Now, if you'll excuse me....I gots to ride my Civic (you know, the cheap shitz):p

um........if you can get the RSX for the SAME money as the Si, then get the RSX. If there is an over $2K USD difference then don't bother. A few of my friends have Base RSX and they are good cars, very solid, and they feel a little better than the Si. But there is just something unique about the Si that attracts me to it more so than the Base RSX. If it were between the Type S and the Si.....that's a no brainer, but between the Base and the Si, it's a very close call. Depends if you like leather, a better interior, better warranty, what seems to me like a better suspension (I've driven both and found the RSX suspension and the car itself just to feel more solid). The RSX is a better car, but for the price that you can get the civics these days, their value/content is very hard to beat. Don't get me wrong here, I love the Si, but IMO the RSX is just a better automobile ( I would still prolly get the Si though) hehehe.

Originally posted by furious

YEAH...let him have it!!;)

to Gibhunter,

When a Type-S rolls up next to ya...when your chick is in the passenger side..."..WHAT YOU GONNA DOOO.....you're a FOOL...":D Just pretend to shuffle some CDs at the lights so an IDENTICAL car (in her eyes) don't whoop yur ass. Or you'll be trying to explain to her, "...but, but baby...that is the special edition top-of-the-line shitz..." (Be prepared to feel shame):o

j/k...since you own an Acura, I would consider you a bro, but with the "I got an Acura NOT Honda and DEFINATELY NOT Civic attitude..." you can just be the bastard child that no one wants to claim:'(

Now, if you'll excuse me....I gots to ride my Civic (you know, the cheap shitz):p
    lol, same thing would happen to your Si though. I do agree that people that drive Acuras (like myself) have to understand that it's still just a Honda!!!

This is a tough one for me, I have an 02 Si and my wife has an 03 RSX-S. I have not been in a RSX base for a comparison. I like both cars, but if I had to pick I would go with the Si. I like the uniqueness of it. I see RSX's all the time.

Originally posted by RMC22
    The only people that will give you more prestige that you drive a 160 hp RSX over a 160 hp civic are the ignorant fucks who don't know their left from right when it comes to imports.
    You mean 90% of American public?

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar
    Originally posted by Gibhunter

You mean 90% of American public?
    95.7% to be exact

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar
    BTW, Gibhunter...

The Canadian SiR has heated mirrors!;)

Bottom line... When I see a RSX base or Premium, I think "Chick Car!" Just like when I see a Camaro or Mustang without the V-8.

I just can't see why someone would sacrifice all that extra usefulness of a hatchback design just for the sake of an Acura nameplate.

As far as using the car as a method to pick up girls... GROW UP! Any girl who places that much of a emphasis on the car you drive is obviously superficial and not worth your time!

Besides, if you really want to pick up chicks with your car... Buy a powder blue Beetle convertible!

;)

I think of it this way, your going to replace everything that the rsx-s comes with nicer stock anyways....might as well go cheaper. Plus the factor that its rare is a +

Also rSx-s aren't like some premium car, they are just 23k msrp

If you want street credit and are affraid to wear the civic badge proudly --- dont stick your nose up too high, cause the M3's and C5's and 911's and the STI/EVO's out there have a lot more "street cred" than the Rsx-S.

btw who cares what people think what kinda car you drive

"its not what you own, its how you mod it"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information