Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Originally posted by greenguy

I get "Boings" and pops when I turn. Need to lube it more. Car handles like its on rails.
    Hey guys,

If you are getting these noises from the suspension, it sounds like the upper bearing is not doing its job.

If possible, can you jack up the front of your car and have someone else turn the wheel while you look at the upper spring perch. The spring and strut should turn with the wheel, not against the one another.

Please check to see if the upper perch is seated correctly to correct this problem or the upper bearing needs to be replaced.

As for the bouncy ride that fsugatorbait has experienced,

Did you purge the shocks by fully compressing and extending them a half a dozen times before installing them?

This is a standard procedure that should be followed before installing any shock absorber as when these shocks are stored and transported air has a chance to bypass the piston and cause a small cavity. This cavity under driving conditions will generate aeration and usually shows its symptoms through a slightly bouncier response to road input.

If this wasn

Originally posted by Glen@KW

Hey guys,

If you are getting these noises from the suspension, it sounds like the upper bearing is not doing its job.

If possible, can you jack up the front of your car and have someone else turn the wheel while you look at the upper spring perch. The spring and strut should turn with the wheel, not against the one another.

Please check to see if the upper perch is seated correctly to correct this problem or the upper bearing needs to be replaced.

I will try this tomorow. When I turn the wheel I can hear what sounds like a spring being released from being stuck. (Like your turning the spring, spring moves except for the top where its seated, then it gets released...Boing:))
    Or I would guess its from the bottom spring that is compressed all the way and its rubbing itself againts the other coils.
    I really dont know and these said things are VERY minor compaired to how my car handles, drives and looks now that I have these installed.:)

NICE!
    Lube them well! Everyone recomends lithium grease but it will migrate and collect dirt. I would recomend chain wax. You can get it at any auto supply shop. Just ask the guys and tell them what you need it for and they will probally tell you to use it. It will dry and stay put without collecting dirt.
    When you say to lube them, do you mean to grease the actual springs?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glen@KW
    [B]

Hey guys,

As for the bouncy ride that fsugatorbait has experienced,

Did you purge the shocks by fully compressing and extending them a half a dozen times before installing them?

This is a standard procedure that should be followed before installing any shock absorber as when these shocks are stored and transported air has a chance to bypass the piston and cause a small cavity. This cavity under driving conditions will generate aeration and usually shows its symptoms through a slightly bouncier response to road input.

If this wasn

Originally posted by fsugatorbait

When you say to lube them, do you mean to grease the actual springs?
    I did not lube my springs. Just were the spring meets the top perch ( pillow mount?)
    Now I need to see if we used the bearing ring from the oem strut assy.
    Also I want to make sure not to over lube as that can also cause premature falure.

Glen,
    I didnt do the actual install due to lack of time. The shop that I gave them to doesnt read German very well so I doubt they were aware that the struts needed to be purged:)...how long would you say that the struts would take on their own to release the air cavaity? Is there a quicker way to ilievate*(sp) the pressure? Im leaving on a road trip to FLA this sat and wonder if Ill be doing any damage by driving that far with this condition.
    On the other hand, the assembly is top notch, very precise welds and id be hard pressed to find a better build quality, couldnt be happier with the quality. Great product!
    Phil
    The lower your car is (ie the less travel there is) the longer it will take. If you want to get it done and over with quickly, you would have to pull the shocks out and extend them all the way, and then compress them all the way a half a dozen times. If you do not change the position of the perch when you take them off, you will have the same alignment when you put them back in.

Otherwise, thanks for the compliment, and enjoy your road trip!

ok, thanks, i guess the 3K mile road trip will have to take care of it for me...oh well, even with the bounces it still is head and shoulders above what it replaced.

Kickass. Have a great trip, and dont forget to take some pics and post your roadtrip review. Im sure that there will be more than a few open twisties that you will encounter!

in the short amt of time ive had the car with the full suspension done, i cant believe the handling. It honestly feels like im riding on rails going around corners. On most turns there is no give in the chassis of the car and you can hear the tires slipping on the road. Damn, I need stickier tires.:p

Damn, I need stickier tires.:p
    If you've got the ca$h I would recomend Pirelli. I have the Pzero Nero and they are absolutley wonderfull! Quite at highway speeds and with my suspention and tires I have yet to find the tires limit:D, I find my limit first:D

If you've got the ca$h I would recomend Pirelli. I have the Pzero Nero and they are absolutley wonderfull! Quite at highway speeds and with my suspention and tires I have yet to find the tires limit:D, I find my limit first:D
    Good looks, you dont really hear much about Pirelli on the board so its good to hear about them...if you dont mind me asking, how much were they and what size do you have?

They retail for around $150. I get em for $120 (Brother-in-law has wholesalers licence:))
    I have 215/40/17
    They are probally overboard (on a civic)as far as what the tire is capeable of, but I wanted to try them out. I use to have P6000 SV on my last ride and they were great and only retail for around $65.
    I love Pirelli and will probally only run them on my rides. Cost a bit more, but definatley worth it:)

SIjealousy

Exclamation

Noise from coilovers...it can be eliminated.

I am currently running Ground Control with Koni inserts. To eliminate the "boing" which is coming from the springs rotating on the perches instead of the whole assembly rotating on the bearing, please read...

Go to your local home improvement store. Ask where to find PVC shower mat material. I guess this stuff is laid down underneath shower assemblies. Anyway, it comes in sheet form and is probably about a 1/16" thick. Measure the I.D. and O.D. of the spring perches (both upper and lower). Mark and cut the mat material to these spec's. Install your freshly cut rings between the spring & lower perch and spring and upper perch on left and right coilover assemblies.

Guess what...NO MORE NOISE! Reason being: this material compresses just enough to keep the springs from moving against the perches. In a sense, the rings kind of "bond" the springs to the perches and force the coilover to rotate only on the OEM bearing.

I've had these rings installed on my vehicle for 8 months and have never gotten the "pop","boing","sproing", or any other spring associated noise. Just a nice quiet ride!

Terry

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SIjealousy
    Noise from coilovers...it can be eliminated.

I am currently running Ground Control with Koni inserts. To eliminate the "boing" which is coming from the springs rotating on the perches instead of the whole assembly rotating on the bearing, please read...

Go to your local home improvement store. Ask where to find PVC shower mat material. I guess this stuff is laid down underneath shower assemblies. Anyway, it comes in sheet form and is probably about a 1/16" thick. Measure the I.D. and O.D. of the spring perches (both upper and lower). Mark and cut the mat material to these spec's. Install your freshly cut rings between the spring & lower perch and spring and upper perch on left and right coilover assemblies.

Guess what...NO MORE NOISE! Reason being: this material compresses just enough to keep the springs from moving against the perches. In a sense, the rings kind of "bond" the springs to the perches and force the coilover to rotate only on the OEM bearing.

I've had these rings installed on my vehicle for 8 months and have never gotten the "pop","boing","sproing", or any other spring associated noise. Just a nice quiet ride!

Terry
    Wow! One hell of a First post! Ill asume that you were waiting for the perfect time to chime in...and I'm glad you did. I will go tomorow and see what I can find.
    Thank You Terry! And welcome to ephatch.com :)

Damn good idea!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information