Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Aftermarket Steering Wheel?

Hey, I wanna change my steering wheel to the Sparco Lap3 Wheel. I was wondering if anyone has changed their wheel and if they did were they able to get their horn to work?
    Here is a pic of the wheel.

Visit me @ K-Series.com Mugen_EP's Avatar
    I swapped to a JDM CTR wheel and horn works. I dont believe the horn will be an issue.

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    what about the whole airbag issue? dont you guys think it's necessary or isn't it a daily driver? and how do you go about taking it off withouth the airbag deploying?

My car is a daily driver but I dont feel that an airbag is that important. If I am in such a bad accident to where an airbag would have made a difference then that means my car is toast and I would rather just go with it.;) To take out the airbag without it deploying just disconnect your battery but still be very careful with it.

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    if you want, can you reinstall it again and have the airbag work, say if you wanted to sell it for some totally weird reason. and i guess u dont really have to let your insurance company know that you dont have an airbag, lol.

isnt it illegal to get rid of stock airbags?

Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
    isnt it illegal to get rid of stock airbags?
    Yes but who actually looks to check to make sure you have airbags?

is it hard to take the steering wheel off? i have been wanting to change mine out. plus does anybody know if i have to buy the hub if i get a spoon steering wheel? what is the purpose of this hub? do i have to use the spoon one? is it "quick realease?" sorry for all the questions, just trying to get educated.

some other questions. since the spoon steering wheel is momo will the momo quick release work? it should right? does this mean i don't have to get the spoon hub?

Originally posted by jerky
    some other questions. since the spoon steering wheel is momo will the momo quick release work? it should right? does this mean i don't have to get the spoon hub?
    Yep, MOMO hub and MOMO quick release will work w/the Spoon steering wheel.

Originally posted by jerky
    is it hard to take the steering wheel off? i have been wanting to change mine out. plus does anybody know if i have to buy the hub if i get a spoon steering wheel? what is the purpose of this hub? do i have to use the spoon one? is it "quick realease?" sorry for all the questions, just trying to get educated.
    The Steering wheel is very easy to remove. First remove the two screws holding on the Cruise Control module. Then pop off the cover on the left side of the steering wheel. There is a Torx bolt on each side unscrew and unplug horn & Cruise Control and enjoy.;)

To make life eaiser on everyone I called up Spacro today. Here is what the guy had to say:

Q: Once I replace the steering wheel how do I go about getting the horn to still work?

A: The main problem is on airbag cars the horn is integrated into the airbag and all the wires are joined together. Basicly what you have to do is run the wires so that when you press the button its grounds out and then the horn will work. It is eaiser said then done. To be honest our horn dosen't even work on OUR sponsored Civic SI. We are in the process of comming up with a system to get the horn button to work on airbag cars. Don't get me wrong there is away to do it now with either a relay or custom wiring but we are trying to come up with a way that you just plug and play. If you take it to know well know electroncs shop that knows a thing or two about wiring they should be able to do it with no problem.

That is the response I got from Sparco USA.

Wow I must know a thing or two about wiring because I got my horn to work without a problem. I surprised Sparco couldn't get theirs to work properly.

Thumbs up

sweet thanks guys.:)

shit more questions, so i need the hub to get the steering wheel on. so that means i can use the normal momo hub instead of the 100 spoon jdm-sweet hub, right? cool. i don't want to pay the additional 100 bucks for that thing. does the quick release replace the entire hub assembly or do i need both a hub and the quick release?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information