Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nice write up man! Do you plan to do the K20A2 swap later? or just keep it that way?

I plan to do the K20A2 swap later but I want to keep our 5 speed, oh well that's something I'll decide when I do the swap.

car-less for now.... 2k2_nbp_egg's Avatar
    Did you swap out the 4.7 final drive from your si into the type s tranny before you did the swap? I was contemplating this, but was wondering how hard it would be to crack the tranny open and start switching out final drives. I know that in itself would be good for a few tenths of a second in the quarter, and i'm never gonna take my car up to above 130+ where the more aggressive final drive would take away from my top speed. Also, did you look into any LSD units?

p.s. how much did you pay for the tranny alone? Sorry for all the questions :p

I've never been to the dragstrip with any car. I'd like to get into it, how about a track meet for So Cal folks?

I thought about the A2 swap, and also about installing the A2 head with Type R pistons and cams. Then all you would need it seems is the Hondata Type R flash. I would also have the engine balanced so it'll live better at the higher rpms. I think the A3 internals would be fine for any street use. But a swap would approach or equal the cost of a turbo. A smog legal turbo makes sense to me now, more power than a Type R and more streetable than a NA motor of the same power

I don't think the A2 would function well with the 5 speed. It makes high rpm power, you'll need the 6 speed to keep it in its power range.

The trans is stock. I casually checked prices of diff units, the Type R goes for around $500-$600. That's close to the price of a Quaife. A few Clubrsx members have installed the parts themselves, it seems doable. It's just a big job taking the trans out. I did find that the Si final drive is the same as the Type R, both have the same 4.764:1 ratio. But the Si part costs about $125 compared to the Type R at $400-$500.

Thanks for your comments. I'm trying to make the Si the way Honda should built it, on a reasonable budget. I'll keep posting what I find out!
    Last edited by cpu519; 03-10-2004 at 08:15 AM.

if you lifted the tranny out, was the crossmember removal really necessary?

Originally posted by chunky
    if you lifted the tranny out, was the crossmember removal really necessary?
    There's no room to remove the trans out from the top, you'd have to remove the engine/trans as a unit.
    Last edited by cpu519; 02-07-2004 at 01:36 PM.

In addition to McMaster-Carr, theres also a company called Hardware Specialties that makes all kinds of shit like that, just FYI

Also another company that sells hardware is Grainger

How exactly is the performance? In comparison to the origional 5spd? How do the RPMS react? Also an important question, is your mileage improving, will it, due to the 6gear? I think it will, i wish i had a 6spd, i hate doing about 4-5K rpms on the highway in 5th gear....Also max speed? And shifting points compared to (mph/RPm) 5spd...

Sorry for the dumb questions..Just really curious!;)

Thanks

Good work man!!! Very informative.
    How does the 6 feel in the EP?
    I wish my gf's Si had my 6 in it, and my engine in it as well. hehe

KraziMikeSi5
    how much would this cost to be done on my car?:p

sorry bout the spelling man lol i havnt really been writing or typing alot lately basically cought up in work really bad. im alwayz in a rush up in here i work in a warehouse preety cool job but always in a hurry ------was just trying to complement you on the job;) never seen that yet -thats all

Sup Rod? Any chance you can make it down to the OC meet tomorrow night? I'll buy you a burger mang!!;) Just give me a ride in your car..hehe:p

Hey Sonny man! How come I never know when these meets go down? Is it because I never read the California forum? I'm always in the tech sections and never find out when the meets are scheduled until after they're over or when I had plans already.

yeah yeah....good excuse Rod. Man, try to make it tomorrow night at 6. Call me if you have any questions..714-606-3024.

SoCal Meet at Bravo Burger 7/26 for HondaMan!!

cool!!

Great swap, I have one question though, what are you RPMs at 60 and 80 mph in 6th gear? Personally, the only reason I would like to have 6th gear is for highway cruising at more sensible RPMs. 4000 RPMs at 80 mph gets annoying after a couple hours of driving, and kills your gas mileage. I think poested before that I was not getting above 25 mph, well, after I changed the oil I am getting 28 mph average for 600 miles weekly commute. That is commuting from CT to NJ 60 miles one way with some highway (80-90 mph) and some stop and go (0-20 mph), and some city (0-5-0-5-0-5 mph).
    Thanks
    Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information