Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ssvr6
    BTW - This is now imortalized on my site.

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail....ID=EP_6SPD_DIY

Again, great work man!

Steve

Here's the rpms when running at 65 mph in 6th - 3rd gear.

6th 3000
    5th 3700
    4th 4700
    3rd 6400

I don't remember what the rpms were with the 5 speed.

Check out this post. BarracksSi and Burgh put some really informative info up about the ratios between the 5 and 6 speed. What Burgh found was the Type S has overall higher gearing in each gear except for 1st and 6th, that means you'll be running at higher rpms in 2nd to 5th. Sixth gear is lower overall than 5th in the Si, so that should benefit cruising. :)
    Last edited by cpu519; 07-26-2003 at 02:17 PM.

Originally posted by ssvr6
    BTW - This is now imortalized on my site.

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail....ID=EP_6SPD_DIY

Again, great work man!

Steve
    Could you possibly credit him somewhere in that write up?

Also, cpu...how did you get the tranny for $550 bucks? If it's that cheap, I'd be super willing to do the swap. I do a lot of commuting and like others have stated, 80 at 5k rpm sucks.

Originally posted by TheWevel

Could you possibly credit him somewhere in that write up?

Also, cpu...how did you get the tranny for $550 bucks? If it's that cheap, I'd be super willing to do the swap. I do a lot of commuting and like others have stated, 80 at 5k rpm sucks.
    I agree, darn MPH: RPM ratio sucks....On the highway u have to speed alotta times to get outta slow lanes/ over take etc....And sometimes i touch 85+ mph, and my RPMS are very high...A 6th gear would help out alot!

Another member here got a trans on Ebay for $450, there seems to more and more better deals out there. RSX owners who install the Type R tranny really are trying to just get rid of their old parts, not trying to make a buck like a wrecking yard would. Check Ebay and clubrsx.com or other rsx forums. One thing to be aware of is the early models had syncro problems and owners complained of grinding gears. Acura released a service bulletin that advised replacing a number of parts. Affected vehicles were in a certain VIN number range, but some cars made after the range still had problems.

Originally posted by cpu519
    Another member here got a trans on Ebay for $450, there seems to more and more better deals out there. RSX owners who install the Type R tranny really are trying to just get rid of their old parts, not trying to make a buck like a wrecking yard would. Check Ebay and clubrsx.com or other rsx forums. One thing to be aware of is the early models had syncro problems and owners complained of grinding gears. Acura released a service bulletin that advised replacing a number of parts. Affected vehicles were in a certain VIN number range, but some cars made after the range still had problems.
    I am the one that purchased the 6 speed for $450 on eBay. I have been watching for one for about two months now, and one day I happened to find one with a $450 "buy it now". I think I got lucky because I bet the bidding would have gone much higher. The only thing I can recommend is watch eBay regularly, and check Club RSX on a regular basis. Purchasing a tranny from a private source is better in my opinion. I was able to ask the owner about problems with the unit and I have a record of the actual mileage. The synchro issue with the 6 speed is valid, and occurs at about the same rate as our 5 speed synchro problems.

Thumbs up

Nice tranny swap...I would have been great to see it tonight at the SoCal meet! Good job!

Re: so cal

Originally posted by 9092002SI
    hey where in so cal you from?
    Hey, do you drive a black EP or is it silver (like in your avatar)? I saw a nice black EP in Chino Hills this past week. I will be in Diamond Bar all this coming week at the Best Western there.

Sorry HondaMan, weekends are pretty busy for me. I want to check out everyone's ride also. My car is silver, Satin Silver Metallic. I hope to be at the next meet at the Block, my wife can hang out at the mall while I shoot the breeze.

Originally posted by cpu519
    What Burgh found was the Type S has overall higher gearing in each gear except for 1st and 6th, that means you'll be running at higher rpms in 2nd to 5th. Sixth gear is lower overall than 5th in the Si, so that should benefit cruising. :)
    That's including the Type S's final drive, though. Given the S's 6-speed tranny plus the Si's shorter final drive, the highway cruising RPM would be the same as before, and the shorter Type S's 1-5 ratios would give more pep.

At least that's what I could figure out. I still wanna save up for an entire A or A2 swap.

(what I posted in the other thread:)

For the Type-S:
    Transmission
    Gear Ratios
    1 : 3.266:1
    2 : 2.130:1
    3 : 1.517:1
    4 : 1.147:1
    5 : 0.921:1
    6 : 0.738:1
    Final drive : 4.388:1

For the Si:
    Gear Ratios:
    1st 3.062
    2nd 1.769
    3rd 1.212
    4th 0.921
    5th 0.738
    Reverse 3.583
    Final Drive 4.764

Originally posted by BarracksSi

That's including the Type S's final drive, though. Given the S's 6-speed tranny plus the Si's shorter final drive, the highway cruising RPM would be the same as before, and the shorter Type S's 1-5 ratios would give more pep.

At least that's what I could figure out. I still wanna save up for an entire A or A2 swap.

(what I posted in the other thread:)

For the Type-S:
    Transmission
    Gear Ratios
    1 : 3.266:1
    2 : 2.130:1
    3 : 1.517:1
    4 : 1.147:1
    5 : 0.921:1
    6 : 0.738:1
    Final drive : 4.388:1

For the Si:
    Gear Ratios:
    1st 3.062
    2nd 1.769
    3rd 1.212
    4th 0.921
    5th 0.738
    Reverse 3.583
    Final Drive 4.764
    based on barracks' gear numbers and stock tire/wheel combo, the si 80mph rpm should be about 4000 where the type s should be about 3685 (both have same top gear ratio so the final drive is the diff).

i wonder what putting the type s final drive gear into the si 5 speed would do to our torque?

theoretically, it would drop the 80 mph rpm to 3685 and increase top speed by 10mph (to around 130). maybe it would be worth it instead of having to keep shifting the 6 speed all the time...

Originally posted by glw
    based on barracks' gear numbers and stock tire/wheel combo, the si 80mph rpm should be about 4000 where the type s should be about 3685 (both have same top gear ratio so the final drive is the diff).

i wonder what putting the type s final drive gear into the si 5 speed would do to our torque?

theoretically, it would drop the 80 mph rpm to 3685 and increase top speed by 10mph (to around 130). maybe it would be worth it instead of having to keep shifting the 6 speed all the time...
    Swapping our Si final drive with the S would probably be fine with stock diameter tires. There would be a noticeable loss of pep out of the hole. I have 18" wheels on my car, so I can't afford the loss.

cool setup. 6 speed si, very nice

car-less for now.... 2k2_nbp_egg's Avatar
    Putting the type S final drive into out tranny would pretty much make us a base rsx....and even though the MPG would be better and you could prolly finish the 1/4 in third, acceleration would definitely be down. Before my friend totaled his base rsx and replaced it with a type S, whenever we raced i'd always gain a car or so off the launch and end up w/ around 2 to 2.5 cars on him. The only time he jumped me i was gaining on him real fast, so I'm not quite sure thats a good idea.

Another 6 Speed on an A3

Well, I started turning wrenches at 8:30 AM and by 3:15 PM I was on my first test drive with my new 6 speed tranny. I only have about 30 miles on it now, and I haven't had any freeway time yet. So far, I think it is the best mod there is for the EP outside of a turbo. The 6 speed does really wake the car up, and begs for a higher redline.

The installation went like clockwork, and everything previously posted by cpu519 about the install is 100% correct. This was the most straight-forward swap I have ever done. Honda has set a new standard for cross-platform drivetrain swaps.

I will post a review once I have a few more miles on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information