Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    For anyone else who wants to put a 6spd in your Si. I have one for sale on ebay right now. It is an '02 with low mileage (4-5,000) and in great condition.

I have seen previous trannys sell for as much as $1,200 so I have to congratulate you guys that found deals around $500! Since mine is low mileage and in perfect shape, I have put a higher reserve on it. For the benefit of my fellow EP'ers the reserve price is $900.

cpu519 my friend, you have balls the size of your head-that is some cool work and not easy to do when you are one of the first. ***bows***
    I would have ended up with a broken 5 speed on the way out and a broken 6 speed on the way in for sure.

Originally posted by S800Racer
    For anyone else who wants to put a 6spd in your Si. I have one for sale on ebay right now. It is an '02 with low mileage (4-5,000) and in great condition.

I have seen previous trannys sell for as much as $1,200 so I have to congratulate you guys that found deals around $500! Since mine is low mileage and in perfect shape, I have put a higher reserve on it. For the benefit of my fellow EP'ers the reserve price is $900.
    It seems like there are more and more trannies up for sale, I saw two more on ebay a couple days ago besides S800Racer's.

Thanks VBSI. I can't take credit on what must have been done many times before, just wanted to get the knowledge out there for the regular guys. Hey don't be afraid of taking your car apart, just take your time and pay close attention.

Originally posted by S800Racer

I did get lucky. I was ready to spend $800 or so. Honestly, you could spend way more than $900 on multiple mods and not have as much of a performance benefit as the 6 speed alone. Also, if you are mechanically inclined, have access to decent tools, and a few hours to spare, it is an easy swap.

Originally posted by cpu519
    It seems like there are more and more trannies up for sale, I saw two more on ebay a couple days ago besides S800Racer's.
    There are two more listed right now, but it looks like a double post, and there is a bare minimum of information on the auction page. I would not be inclined to buy from that seller.

I don't think the tranny will come out the top with the engine in the way. It needs to be pulled away from the engine first, then up.
    If I pull the engine and trans at the same time I should not have to tear apart the bottom end right? The trans and engine sould be able to come out top in one piece right? I am thinking of doing the 6 speed upgrade when I do a turbo but since I want to do a stage II at least I am going to have to pull the engine anyways. So I am thining the trans install should be only a few hours at most with the 5 lug conversion since I am bolting up the trans while the enigne is out of the car.

Originally posted by siver-SI

If I pull the engine and trans at the same time I should not have to tear apart the bottom end right? The trans and engine sould be able to come out top in one piece right? I am thinking of doing the 6 speed upgrade when I do a turbo but since I want to do a stage II at least I am going to have to pull the engine anyways. So I am thining the trans install should be only a few hours at most with the 5 lug conversion since I am bolting up the trans while the enigne is out of the car.
    I don't think it is possible to remove the complete engine and trans through the top. It would be more time consuming to strip the motor and trans of all of the accessories to remove it out the top, rather than drop it out of the bottom. Don't get intimidated by the subframe. Just make alignment marks before you unbolt it. Regardless of wether the engine comes out the top or bottom, if you remove the axles by disconnecting any suspension component, you will need a suspension alignment anyway.
    Last edited by jandetuning; 08-11-2003 at 09:28 PM.

Can't forget this. I'm working on installing a short shifter, that's why the shift boot is off. Here's my post on that subject. The RSX knob mates perfectly with the Si boot, looks completely original.
    I prefer the JDM DC5-R shift knob. The brushed stainless steel has a soft feel to it, and it fits my hand well.

This is what happens when you shift from 5th to 2nd. This is also why I was able to get my 6 speed trans:

Can someone explain the difference between Top gear ratios and final drive.
    For instance: If the 5 speed and 6 speed have same top gear ratios, how can final drive be different?

once again...... I am confused

Originally posted by eurosteez
    Can someone explain the difference between Top gear ratios and final drive.
    For instance: If the 5 speed and 6 speed have same top gear ratios, how can final drive be different?

once again...... I am confused
    final drive is not calcualted. it is a seperate gear.

heres an equation that'll get you close:

mph=(((engine rpm/gear ratio)/final drive)*60)/860

legend
    =====
    60 minutes per hour
    860 is approximate revs per mile of the stock tire
    Last edited by glw; 08-17-2003 at 04:17 PM.

That helps glw, by the way, I think I've seen your SI on the I-5 around Irvine. I have a stock white ep3 and live in OC

Originally posted by eurosteez
    That helps glw, by the way, I think I've seen your SI on the I-5 around Irvine. I have a stock white ep3 and live in OC
    probably so, i live near irvine. 5, 405, 73, 55, 241, and 133 -- i ride them all. :D

So since the gear ratios are all the same, then each gear's max MPH stay the same as the stock Si tranny?

Originally posted by sniperSI
    So since the gear ratios are all the same, then each gear's max MPH stay the same as the stock Si tranny?
    They are not all the same. Some of the ratios are different and the final drive is different. The net result is that 2,3,4 & 5 are 12% shorter in the 6 speed tranny. So 2 through 5 will have a lower max MPH and better acceleration than the 5 speed with a very tall 6th gear for highway cruising.

well i guess if you get the 6 speed you should shell out the extra cash for the hondata

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information