Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 inch wheels!

17 inch wheels!

I've heard some people mention that 17 inches may be a bit too big for our cars and rub. Is this true? I'm guessing the height of the car also plays a factor in this. So if an EP was dropped 2.5 or so inches, and was riding on 17 inch rims, will/might they rub?
    And what about STOCK height? Saying you leave your suspension alone without modifying it one bit, and put on some 17 inch rims, will they rub? I know a lot of you guys are either on 16s or 17s so please tell me how they are and what you think. Thank you in advance.

I don't think you have to worry about rubbing with 17's and 2.5" drop as long as you have the right offset. What's the right offset? I don't know.

I have 17s with eibach pro kit. No rubbing what so ever..even at full lock turn.;)

Ah very sweet news, thanks guys. So what are my chances of rubbing with 17" rims with no springs or coilvers and at STOCK height?? Is that none, or very close to it? Or does ride height make no difference in possibility of rubbing?

If you put 17's on stock suspension, your car will suddenly transform into a 4x4. A lot of people waited to put their rims on until they were dropped because of this. Ive got on Teins, which state they drop the car about 1.5, however they are made for the coupe/sedan with soft spring rates so the drop is more in the area of 1.8 or so; with 215 45 17, i have yet to come close to rubbing. HTH

Originally posted by fsugatorbait
    If you put 17's on stock suspension, your car will suddenly transform into a 4x4. A lot of people waited to put their rims on until they were dropped because of this. Ive got on Teins, which state they drop the car about 1.5, however they are made for the coupe/sedan with soft spring rates so the drop is more in the area of 1.8 or so; with 215 45 17, i have yet to come close to rubbing. HTH
    You've got the Teins and they are softer than the stock springs?
    I've heard people on this forum say that they are actually stiffer than the stock springs. Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by potator

You've got the Teins and they are softer than the stock springs?
    I've heard people on this forum say that they are actually stiffer than the stock springs. Can anyone confirm this?
    tein s tech springs are made for 7thgen civics (01-03)
    not for ep3.

Ah very sweet news, thanks guys. So what are my chances of rubbing with 17" rims with no springs or coilvers and at STOCK height?? Is that none, or very close to it? Or does ride height make no difference in possibility of rubbing?
    you wont have ANY problem with rubbing , if you dont have drop.

It's the overall outside diameter (OD) -- including the tire itself -- that matters, not the size of just the rim.

If you want 19" rims, you'll have to get tires with a reeeally short sidewall to keep the same outside diameter. If you want 22" rims, you might as well wrap rubber bands around the edge. ;)

People around here are usually running no bigger than stock OD and no wider than 7.5" REGARDLESS of rim size. That is, whether it's 15, 16, 17, or 18 inches, the outer dimensions are pretty much the same thanks to proper tire choices.

Unless you change the lengths of the control arms, trailing links, or all that non-springy stuff, you won't increase your chances of rubbing. The wheel will only follow the path prescribed by the rigid components of the suspension, even if you're running way down on the bumpstops themselves.

Thank you for the awesome information you have provided me with, BarracksSi.
    I'm thinking of going with 17x7.5 rims (Subzeros) and not getting springs or any other suspension parts.

And is it true that if I get 17" rims on my stock ride height EP, it would look like a 4x4?? I understand how it already is high as it is, but would it raise my car up two more whole inches??
    I certainly hope not. Please tell me this is not true, and what I can do about it, like messing around with the tire size or whatever. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by potator; 07-28-2003 at 01:37 AM.

Thank you for the awesome information you have provided me with, BarracksSi.
    I'm thinking of going with 17x7.5 rims (Subzeros) and not getting springs or any other suspension parts.

And is it true that if I get 17" rims on my stock ride height EP, it would look like a 4x4?? I understand how it already is high as it is, but would it raise my car up two more whole inches??
    I certainly hope not. Please tell me this is not true, and what I can do about it, like messing around with the tire size or whatever. Thanks in advance.
    If you get 215/45/17 tires the diameter will be as close as you can get to the stockers. Hope this helps..

Originally posted by si666

If you get 215/45/17 tires the diameter will be as close as you can get to the stockers. Hope this helps..
    actually i did put my rims on for one day
    and im running 215/45/17. raised up car for bit. yes looks like shiet with out drop, so i took it off next day.
    if you dont want drop, get bodykit then put rims on. that wont look too bad,
    just a thought

According to Miata.net's Tire Calculator , the 215/45/17 had a 1/2" bigger OD than stock. Not much, but that might have accounted for the perceived raise in height.

I'd be looking for 225/40/17 myself (0.1" smaller diameter), but it seems to be an odd size -- not as many manufacturers even make that size.

Just more info to screw up your plans.. lol ;)

Lol, thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the info. Yeah, I'm eventually gonna get the JDM Type-R body kit for my EP, and was thinking that it would definately help with the appearance, especially since my ride won't be lowered. I was thinking about getting the rims first, but now I may have to go vice-versa. 215/45/17 sounds good to me. How's the car ride on that setting? Enough tire? How's the grip and handling?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information