Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ephatch member

Blue Gauge Lights Swap complete

See it here first on ephatch :D

ephatch member
    A little preview, I'll get a howto done shortly.

ephatch member
    Ok, one more for tonight. But I know there are hotspots behind the odometer, It's on purpose, during the day it gives it depth, you can put the stock filter back on, I just took it off for taste.

Also, there's only 4 bulbs to light the entire cluster, I shoved 12 LEDs in there, so don't tell me the top of the temp, and bottom of fuel are dim, I know, it's rough, not really a big deal, cameras pick up lots of problems, looks fine in reality.

can u si
    that looks sweet. nice job :thumbup:

damn
    i will wait for DIY. hopefully its easy...
    do you have any other pics? like from far..(whole interior pic)
    looks sweet

ephatch member
    Ok, I could use some help on ideas with the problems I'm having... the top of the Temp, and the bottom of the fuel aren't lit well, and the Red needles don't light up since they're only blue light...

Maybe put a white led on the needles? can i get different needles? what about top light like this guy did? Whaddya think? Ideas ideas please, I don't have to be done yet, and I'd like to get those issues worked out. Also, what about a kinda ring around the whole thing, like the pic without the needles?

Time wise, took me about 6 hours total...

I will pay you to do mine.

ephatch member
    here's a little pictoral explanation of why there are some dark spots on the gauges... there's only 4 bulbs to backlight, you can see the 4 sets of 3 blue LEDs I had to aim to get it to light up the area.

Damn man you got skills!

Are the lighs in the cluster able to be capped with colored condoms to achieve a similar color change?

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    ehh...no offense or anything but I like the stock color better. Good job on the mod though!

ephatch member
    Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
    ehh...no offense or anything but I like the stock color better. Good job on the mod though!
    Certainly no offense taken, I myself was questioning the move, and certainly now I'm wondering whether I like them or not... I did it mainly because some people at ClubRSX won't show anyone else howto do it, and they actually had it easy with SMD LEDs... Then they were charging 60$+shipping for the DIY and 12$ worth of parts... I used like 40$ worth of LEDs... I obviously want to share what I did, hence the second diagram, which if you hadn't guessed is the wiring diagram overlayed by the face so you can pick which LEDs/bulbs you want for which signals/back light etc..

You can't just cap the lights in the back to blue, because there is an orange film you have to acetone off, pretty easy to do, just takes a little time and alot of cotton swabs/q-tips.

However you could put red condoms on the lights to make it more redish and that probably would work. I'll get the DIY up as time permits, soon as I can.

I'd sell/trade this gauge cluster for a stock RSX cluster if I knew that they were interchangeable... but not sure they are... anyone know? I can get the pinout on the connectors if needed.
    Last edited by Ocelaris; 07-27-2003 at 09:02 PM.

looks nicee....but make sure you swap out all the red lights in your car...or else that will look faggoty!
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

looks nicee....but make sure you swap out all the red lights...or else that will look faggoty!
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

the rsx cluster is a lot nicer, but i haven't seen anything on swaping them. :(

ephatch member
    heh, not that much nicer, just you wait :)

All we gotta do is figure out a nice schema for our gauges, print em out at kinkos on nice paper, and we'll be set... I have a good scan of the gauges, I'd post it, but it's too big... We should get some photochoppers to mod up our gauges and see what they'd look like... This should be a team project, that'd be way cool... I'm thinkin like 3 layers, two layers of photopaper, sandwiching a layer of like overhead paper painted white to diffuse the light...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information