Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar
    i did a search online and found one case of a bent volk rim and it was a second-hand story (te37)without any details whatsoever. If you do a search for bent ssr comps you'll find whole webpages dedicated to people who have bent them with pictures and rantings. Too bad I found this out after I bought them. In any case, I'll be driving a bit more stright-line conservativly from now on.

i got the volks (17x17.5) for 2150 with kumhos shipped which is just about what I paid for the ssrs. I'll post the remaining rims for about $1100 shipped when I get the volks.
    Last edited by tony speed; 09-04-2003 at 12:10 AM.

Volks do bend. I had a friend with 16in te37 with a bend so bad that around the lip and tire area that it leaked air slowly. Plus on page 170 in the OCT SCC ( yeah I know but...) they say that forged wheels are stronger and lighter but they deform under load so they use cast enkei wheels.

Shows how much SCC knows. Stronger = stronger. SCC = too cheap to buy real wheels so they get free cast ones from Enkei.

Volks are MUCH stronger than SSRs because they use a different forging process. Desmond uses it as well. The TE37s and the RegaMasters are the strongest wheels, pound for pound, that you can buy.

a lot of it also has to do with the construction of the lip and how it ataches to the spokes.

but i garantee a volk wheel would NOT come out unscathed from bumping one of those little road pimples. ESP for a 17"

and dude! if you were going for a 17", why not the gt-n? they're a 2pc wheel and look SICK on the ep3.

and tony, come out to the varsity tonight, we're gonna be hanging out there again. I'd like to take a look at the rim.

Can't make it out to the varsity tonight. I usually have stuff to do on thrusdays. But thank you for the suggestion! I went back and looked at the volk page and I decided to get GT-7s instead. How the heck did I miss those? They're 2 piece so the whole rim doesn't have to go.

Originally posted by tony speed
    Can't make it out to the varsity tonight. I usually have stuff to do on thrusdays. But thank you for the suggestion! I went back and looked at the volk page and I decided to get GT-7s instead. How the heck did I miss those? They're 2 piece so the whole rim doesn't have to go.
    too bad you couldn't ocme out. only 3 ep folks tonight, me, the guy who I can never remember his name, drives the euro gold one on neuspeed race, and kahtyrinaofnasdpfn fuck, kathryn.

and GOOD CHOICE on the 2pc wheel. you won't regret that decision.

Originally posted by chunky

and kahtyrinaofnasdpfn fuck, kathryn.
    hahahahaha. kathryn was there? she's that bad in person huh? too much carbon fibre for ya?

hahahahaha. kathryn was there? she's that bad in person huh? too much carbon fibre for ya?
    no dude, she's really nice. Her car looks nice - I can appreciate all the details that go into a show car, not really my thing so I had to give her some grief about it. She's put a lot of work into the car obviously so I have to respect that.

I just couldn't spell for a bit, and yes, there is a lot of carbon fiber on her car.

I loved how uninformed several of you guys are. Do you even know what the forging process SSR uses is? Obviously not.

SSF = Semi-solid forging. This does not mean they are only 'semi-forged'. How the hell would you somewhat forge a wheel? I'd love to hear that explanation.

Semi-solid forging is when you take a wheel, that is in a semi-solid state, and then forge from there. This process is just as good as the process that every other forged wheel uses.

Volks bend. Spoons bend. Racing Harts bend. SSRs bend. All of them do. If tirerack sold Volks there would be a webpage about how the volks bend.

This is why you don't put a 17" forged wheel on a street car with a rubber-band tire. It's just stoopid because a pothole sooner or later is going to bend the lightweight wheel.

Common sense should be your first brain function when buying a wheel, not how blingin a expensive wheel will look on the car.

Originally posted by tkm
    I loved how uninformed several of you guys are. Do you even know what the forging process SSR uses is? Obviously not.

SSF = Semi-solid forging. This does not mean they are only 'semi-forged'. How the hell would you somewhat forge a wheel? I'd love to hear that explanation.

Semi-solid forging is when you take a wheel, that is in a semi-solid state, and then forge from there. This process is just as good as the process that every other forged wheel uses.

Volks bend. Spoons bend. Racing Harts bend. SSRs bend. All of them do. If tirerack sold Volks there would be a webpage about how the volks bend.

This is why you don't put a 17" forged wheel on a street car with a rubber-band tire. It's just stoopid because a pothole sooner or later is going to bend the lightweight wheel.

Common sense should be your first brain function when buying a wheel, not how blingin a expensive wheel will look on the car.
    before i start, let me say that my rims tore, not bent, they tore like tissue paper. Secondly, my tires was fairly high, higher than what i have now. ....

great now take this knowledge and go semi-solid forge yourself some tact and/or some new people to talk to. don't insult me or fellow hatch owners.

before i start, let me say that my rims tore, not bent, they tore like tissue paper. Secondly, my tires was fairly high, higher than what i have now. ....

great now take this knowledge and go semi-solid forge yourself some tact and/or some new people to talk to. don't insult me or fellow hatch owners.
    From the description of your accident, any wheel would have done the same thing.

Don't blame the SSRs. Nothing would have survived. I didn't pose my responce toward you, but there are *a lot* of folks who say stuff about something that they have no idea about. I've owned three different sets (still have 2) of SSR Comps. No problems with any of them at all.

tkm has no idea what he's talking about. Semi-solid forging is not as strong as hot or cold forging (not that tkm would know anything about it). It was developed at MIT and licensed by Alcoa originally. SSR has been using it for a while now. It's benefit is to the manufacturer because less metal is wasted in the process, though the resultant parts are not as strong as traditional forged parts. End of lesson.

ok, well, today after i leave work i'm gonna run into the same stone at 35 mph and see if it happens again.....not. :D

Sigh, let's look at this a little further.

Semi-Solid forging allows the properties of traditional forging but at a lower cost to the manufacturer. That's how you can buy 4 SSRs a few hundred dollars cheaper than something like a Volk.

But how does this strike you: The Advans that so many people rave about that are just as light as a Volk are *cast* wheels. And I've seen plenty of Skylines and other 600hp cars on those.

I have not seen any metal fatigue tests done on SSR vs Volk vs Rota or anything. But from personal experience, I've seen a lot of bent/screwed up wheels. And calling a SSR junk is not right because they are far from it. As strong as a 16lb oem cast wheel they are not, but then again I wouldn't consider having any 17"+ forged wheel as my daily driver wheel because there are just too many things that can happen on public roads.

And a search on the net will yield you all that you want to know about the SSF process.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to do a few searches and learn what you're talking about. Your original post stated that the SSF process was just as strong as traditional forging. Please back that up or shut the f*ck up.

No one mentioned Advans or anything else. SSRs are not as strong as Volks, pound for pound, because they are made with an inferior manufacturing method.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information