Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How easy did you drive during break-in?

Just curious. It's been really hard for me to drive easy all the time due to crazy drivers around where I live. I've had to get on the gas several times to avoid being hit, and hit the brakes relatively hard a couple of times (not smoking them down but abrupt stops). Not to mention I've had to rev to 4-5k several times during upshifts to get moving in traffic. Is that going to mess my car up? I'm at 520 miles now.

NO, that is considered normal driving now a days. Don't forget it still a HONDA!

Cool. I would have been hit if I didn't do some of the things I've had to with my car. You can't always get perfect driving conditions.

ssvr6
    I broke my car in like a dog being bred for the fights. I'd run to redline in 1st - 3rd gear (too fast for the other gears). I know quite a few people who have a beast of a car using this tatic and that was my goal. That and my dealer never told me of any "break in" period so if anything goes wrong, I'll play my "not informed" card. :D I have a warranty, that's all I care about.

My car is pretty agressive and I think it's from being broken in like it was.

Steve

Still Around...
    Hey VR6, I've also heard of this "break-in" philosophy and have had many people say that their car is "broken-in" differently and that's why it behaves a certain way. I'm sure that there is no hard evidence to ascertain a way to break your car in a manner to have your motor act differently, so I took the best of both worlds and was easy on the gears and synchros, but took the car on quite a few high-speed runs well up into the redline while in its' "break-in" period.

I would like to drive a car that's been broken in easily compared to a car that was abused in it's early life stages to get a better feel for if this is actually true.

I didn't go over 4k rpm during the first 500 miles. then it was all hell breaks loose after that

ssvr6
    Originally posted by DynaSpeed
    Hey VR6, I've also heard of this "break-in" philosophy and have had many people say that their car is "broken-in" differently and that's why it behaves a certain way. I'm sure that there is no hard evidence to ascertain a way to break your car in a manner to have your motor act differently, so I took the best of both worlds and was easy on the gears and synchros, but took the car on quite a few high-speed runs well up into the redline while in its' "break-in" period.

I would like to drive a car that's been broken in easily compared to a car that was abused in it's early life stages to get a better feel for if this is actually true.
    I did the same, I didn't shift quickly or ride out the clutch, I just drove it hard.

Steve

undaground knowledge
    hmmm...

I heard someone talking about how with todays engines, there really is no break in required. Just drive the way you are going to drive and thats that.

Hahahahahaah

i have 1020 miles on my car

been to the track once
    raced about 20 cars

my friend is a honda service guy and said dont worry just bring it in

so my car is "properly" broken in ;)

I redlined several times before 1,000 miles, no worries.

SKIDTRON '02
    The day I got my car I wanted to find out where fuel cut was. SO, I floored it in neutral and waited until the engine started to bounce against the rev limiter.

It had 14 miles on it then and I haven't driven it easy since.

ephatch member
    why do people hate their cars?

nikkotyper
    I autocrossed my car at 900 and 1400 miles. Before that I used a slightly different break-in procedure.
    First 500 miles took it rather slowly - up to 5k.
    Next 500 miles - I drove it as hard as I could.
    Now I am driving it normal - depending on my needs.

modern-perf,
    Great looking ride!!!

YES ... that eribuni wing have any fitiment problems? looking good! --joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information