Close

NEW KNOB, wut size NUT?

i just got a fake type R knob.. but its super heavy like a skunk2. i love it.. but it didn't come with a nut since it was free.. does anyone know the size of the nut i shoudl buy at home depot?

why not just take it with you and try out some nuts

would't i have to take int he shifter then?
    well, i guess i can take the knob, then btry a bolt, then a nut that fits that bolt.. good idea :)

10x1.5mm thread
    Last edited by TripleJ02; 09-10-2003 at 07:32 PM.

How does the mounting work with NUTS.... I got a sparco know, but it only came with the plastic adapter things and those got raped after taking it on and off for tightening a couple times... So basically, now I am back to stock... How can i get the knob to stay on with a NUT?

I knew this question was floating around somewhere.. lol Whether y'all still want an answer or not, I'll just describe how I did mine --

- Put the nut on the shaft as far down as it'll go.

- Put on the knob, and screw it down all the way -- but don't tighten it yet. It'll probably be crooked, so then unscrew it until it's straight, or maybe about 90 degrees too far counterclockwise (I'll explain below).

- Unscrew the nut to bring it to the bottom of the knob.

- Now, you'll have to fiddle around with tightening the knob against the nut. What I do at first is, while the knob is purposely off-center, I finger-tighten the nut until it's pressing against the bottom of the knob, then while holding the nut I screw the knob down against it. The extra 90 degrees gave me some room to squeeze the knob down and end up with the numbers straight.

That's how I get the tightening started. To really firm it down, I took a small wrench to the nut and tightened the two together as described above.

The drawback is that the nut & tightening process leave the knob perched higher than it would be if it could go all the way down. The knob looks really high in the pictures below mainly because I haven't yet added anything to keep the shift boot higher on the shaft.

would there be any problems with installing the knob without the locking nut???I put it in without the nut and it seems to be in really tight and snug.

Just as long as it's tight & snug, it's fine. The main reason for a locking nut, like on mine, is to allow the shift pattern printed on top to be correctly oriented.

If I screwed my knob all the way down without a nut, the pattern was about 90 degrees off. I could probably use teflon tape or something similar to be able to screw it pretty far down, which would cut down on the length added by the locknut.

So, yeah -- if it looks correct without a nut, and doesn't budge, then it's good.

Thread Information