• Yes it sucks

67 16.92%
  • Yes it sucks for modding, but not a bad engine

93 23.48%
  • No

236 59.60%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

do our engines suck?

I'm getting sort of fed up with my engine...and I've only had the car for 8 months. Yesterday I raced my friend's stock RSX-S. I have an AEM CAI, Hondata, Comptech Exhaust. We raced from 40mph in 2nd gear.

We both punch it at the 3rd honk, and I immediately pull on him, keep pulling hard on him and shift to 3rd...when he just starts pulling like a freaking JET. Got totally annihilated. I shut down soon after around 70. We tried again, with the same results. Ate him up in 2nd gear, but our cars fall flat on their faces when they hit 3rd gear.:(

I'm wondering what you guys think of our engines. I'm seriously considering getting a type S swap in a years time. I don't know where I will be financially but if I do have money, there will be an a2 in my car. I'm considering if I should even mod it further or just save money for a swap.

I'm thinking of getting a race header, but who knows how much that will help on the k20a3. I don't think I'll boost...because I'd be throwing away the mods I have right now. Do you guys think its worth modding the motor any further or just swap it? I mean...theres not much potential N/A wise for the A3, and with the flow of things, it seems nothing will come out either seeing that the a2 is getting all the attention (rightfully so)....

Discuss....

I think your expectations of the mods you are doing are too high. Essentially, when it comes to power, all you have done is intake and exhaust, granted hondata is a mod, but it isnt giving you any extra power, just allowing you an extra 900 rpms before you gotta shift. Think about it, you're comparing a 160 hp engine with a few mods to a 200 hp engine, and expecting them to be equal. If it were that easy, then everyone would just save the extra money on the RSX-S and go with a base model RSX and buy I/E. You're paying for what you get. For the price, I strongly believe that the EP3 is a well built, well balanced car, including the engine. So to answer your question, I like our engine, its what I expected. Don't expect a few little mods to push your car over the edge and create some speed demon that tears up the road. It's just a civic, you knew that when you bought it.

hmm that was definitely a wake up call...I guess I am asking too much for what I paid for, especially knowing what I was getting into. But man, I really wish the A3 had some bolt on/NA potential. Perhaps the race header will juice this thing up a bit.

The real thing that burned me was getting smoked by the car that I really wanted to get...only if I had another 4 grand. :(

Oh well. I love my car, I just wish it was faster:'(
    Last edited by anjapower; 09-09-2003 at 08:41 PM.

Just like vbp si 03 said, our car is just a civic, and it's a 40HP gap between us and the RSX-S. Do I think our engines suck? Nope. It'd sure be helpful if we had the same i-VTEC system as the RSX-S but the K20A3 is still a great engine. It responds to mods almost as well as the RSX-S and has great potential whether you decide to go all motor or boost (although boost would seem like the more logical option with the A3).

here's my take on the A3 vs. all debate...

the A3 was built for decent low-end torque and emissions. but the low-end makes it a fun car to drive around. but not having VTEC on the exhaust cams does limit this engine's potential. as does not having an actual VTEC-as-well-all-have-know-and-love operation. but hey, like vbp 03si said, you pay for what you get. and i paid almost $4K less than sticker ... a damn good deal IMHO.

i'm concentrating on the fact that i got a well-built, reliable, fun to drive car for a great price. i'll accept the fact i'm not the fastest car on the road.

Honda Obsessed

Thumbs up

I love this engine! It seems to me that the problem is the tranny is geared so close. Does anyone know if any mods can be done to the tranny?:)
    Last edited by intelli; 09-09-2003 at 09:16 PM.

def not. k20 engines are awesome. i just wish that we had better gear ratio. 1 st to 2nd is too quik ;)
    maybe hondata might help out for me

personal i think we have a good engine...orwhatever BUT its just too weak. We are almost on the bottom of the charts-Powerwise.
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

There's nothing wrong with the engine. It's just the car is too heavy.

ephatch member
    for everyday driving it does the job fine. if u want to win races against sports cars, no

thats true...but what can you take out, right?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

Thumbs up

One year from now there will be all sorts of stuff available for our rides.

Just think. . . . Honda (4cyl) is ******** (less S2K).

the k20a3 is a very fuckin laggy engine in my opionion when i first had the car it had more pep. the engine seems like it loses power after 10,000 miles . i dunno honda sucks there fun but like other people say its not a race car its a daily driven car thats suposed to b fun to drive. u want a fast car get a mustang or a supra. lol otherwise be thankfull for what u got and stop complain

3rd gear is crap for Si as well as RSX base. Get a racing header then you may able to pull him more on 1st and 2nd so that once you landed 3rd you have some time to recover from the ratio.

ephatch member
    1st and 2nd gear will be close. But once you hit 3rd, you'll be shifting gears while he'll be shifting cams.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information