Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

few Q's about tein s tech

Ok I just had my springs installed today, I watched the mechanic do the whole job, he was recommmended by a friend.
    My questions are

1. no bumb stop was removed, should there have been?
    2. im trying to figure out how much of a drop it gave me. The logical way, im thinking, would have been to measure the height between the tire and wheel well before and after, yet i did not measure before. So if someone knows what the height is stock that would help.

I must say the ride is a little more harsh then I expected but its a looks great and handles even better. I would def. recommend these springs

thanks!
    Mike
    Last edited by staticflo; 09-10-2003 at 08:11 PM.

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar

Re: few Q's about tein s tech

Originally posted by staticflo

1. no bumb steer was removed, should there have been?
    I think you mean the "bump stop". The stock ones need to be trimmed or replaced with shorter ones. My Eibach prokits came with a replacement set that was shorter than OEM. So he should ahve either trimmed your OEM set or replaced them.

Like I said no bump stop was removed or altered at all. Are there going to be any negative effects due to this? Damn, I knew I should have said something at the time, but didn't looks like I may be taking it back.

the stock bump stop needed to be trimmed to prevent your struts from bottoming out too easily. since you're lowered and the S Techs are relatively soft, the struts will run out of travel quicker.

ok, thanks for the help so im guessing my best move would be to take it back to the guy who did it and have him trim some.

how much do you have to cut bumpstops? around 1 inch?
    just want to make sure before i install them in next week

according to the sheet that comes w/ the springs, it says to leave the front bump stops as is and cut 0.6 inches off the rear.

i'd recommend doing a search and see what others have done.

EDIT: keep in mind that these springs were designed for the EM2s (01-current civic sedans/coupes), so that's the car the directions are covering. so cutting the front bump stops on the EP3 might not be out of the question. I'd call or e-mail Tein to get an official word.
    Last edited by Tenacious G; 09-11-2003 at 12:39 PM.

I e-mailed tein and asked them if they know how much bump stop should be remved ill post again when they answer so everyone will know for future reference.

Weird last time i check My tein S tech s didnt need the bump stops cut. oh well i guess i ll bottom out quicker.

Originally posted by PaXiE
    Weird last time i check My tein S tech s didnt need the bump stops cut. oh well i guess i ll bottom out quicker.
    the guy that installed mine also said I didnt need to remove any bump stop but I just wanted to be sure. The ride seems so harsh, especially when I hit a bump. I didnt know if that was because the bump stops were still in or if that just comes along with having lowering springs.

JDM Mugen ep coming soon! Kwazie's Avatar
    when i didnt have the s tech on my car i had 4 - 5 fingers (i got small fingers :p ) but after the drop i got 2 fingers i got pictures if you like... and my bump stops i cut the front ones in half and in the back it has 2 lil oval shape things i cut one of them off and ride is very good to me not harsh at all.......

www.aiyahz.com/davidtong409/car

Originally posted by Kwazie
    when i didnt have the s tech on my car i had 4 - 5 fingers (i got small fingers :p ) but after the drop i got 2 fingers i got pictures if you like... and my bump stops i cut the front ones in half and in the back it has 2 lil oval shape things i cut one of them off and ride is very good to me not harsh at all.......

www.aiyahz.com/davidtong409/car
    excellent pics. i cant wait to lower my car:D

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    if you dont cut the bump stops, when cornering and you bottom on the stop, that is the same as the spring rate going up astronomically. cornering loads on the outside tires will be too much. that is actually very dangerous. I would definitely find out teins specs for the ep3 before doing any major curves. just erring on the side of caution.

wow i never knew this stuff.. ive had my springs for about 3 weeks now. post wat tein has to say when u get the message... cuz i dont think they even touched my bump stops. oh and wat does it mean to bottom out?

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    when you bottom the shock/strut is when the shock body that has the bump stop on it and the shock mount that bolts to the strut tower all touch and the car is no longer riding on the spring. at this instance the spring might as well be non-existant because the mount/bump stop/shock body are all touching. at this point the "spring rate" for use of a better term, would be the breaking point of the weakest component. you are basicly riding a gocart with solid suspension and the tendency is for whatever corner is bottomed, or loaded, to break loose and slide. the unpredictable nature of this is what makes it so danderous. it is also called "snap oversteer' because that is how quick it can happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information