Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, getting CompuSTAR.... How's $905 sound?

For $905 I'm getting the Spread Spectrum 1.25 mile range system. The install includes:
    Basic installation 175
    Light Flash 35
    Trunk Pin 35
    Hood Pin (incl w/ basic install)
    Tilt sensor 45
    Tilt sensor installation 35
    Remote locks 50
    Batt backup alarm 105
    Key bypass 35

TOTAL $905

He said he needs a an actual working ignition key for the key bypass module (for remote start). I guess this makes sense. He said he can grind they key so it can't be used in the ignition, but is still able to send the signal to the brain of the Honda. Will the "valet" key work for this? I haven't figured out what the heck a "valet" key is. The owners manual says it works with everything... so what's special about it?

The only thing I fear is that it's hard to find CompuSTAR installers, if anything should go wrong with the alarm and/or I'm out of town. Should the car not start one day, is there anyway to totally bypass the alarm? Other than that, they only come with ONE remote, which runs something like $125 a piece!!! I hope it doesn't break and/or I don't lose it!

The Spread Spectrum remote is kinda largish, but I guess it will do.

I'll tell ya, there's a lot of shit to know about alarms. It's been a real learning experience for me.

Oh yea, the guy at the alarm shop said I don't need a seperate battery back up for the whole alarm because if they do the old "short out the headlight trick" the alarm is on a seperate circuit (and fuse). Is this correct?

I just want to make sure all my bases are covered... Anything else I should know?

Aside from this, I'll be using an Autolock at night and keep a Pete Rose baseball bat in my apartment for when the pager goes off...

OK, maybe not Pete Rose, but a baseball bat, or something to beat someone with if I catch them....
    Last edited by natesi; 09-04-2002 at 08:02 PM.

$905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to? --damn. --joe

Originally posted by 02blksi

$905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to? --damn. --joe
    Dude; I need the best alarm possible. First, I live in a bad neighborhood. Second, an alarm is only as good as it's weakest point. If you skimp, might as well not get anything at all... that's my opinion...

I have just got a Compustar put in my '02. It's not too bad but I wish there was a vibrate feature, not to mention that whenever I shut off the car the remote sings a little tune. Not sure why but I think its too let you know that you can you use the car starter feature. The only features I added was the door locks, light flash and shock sensor.

Oh yeah..the valet key does work as you need to bypass the Honda Immobilizer.
    I got mine for a steal at $650 Cdn. Most places wanted at least $800.

The Ass Shaker Mod DJQuikFingaz's Avatar
    $905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to?
    BWHAHAHAHA. JEEZ, that's what I'm saying.

two words: Lo-Jack..I did, 600 buks life time warranty+instalation.

word to the wise.. an alarm is not going to stop a thief.. the real thief are the people who sell compustar. i say spend that $900 and build urself a garage.

im telling you guys... Autopage 750lcd is the same but better than the compustart... look it up... take care guys....

btw.. it has the vibrate feature..

Ritteri
    take it from someone who just "retired" from doing alarm and car audio installs. R-I-P-O-F-F . Better off with a good solid clifford or alpine alarm for half that installed. As the truth is an alarm will keep 99 percent of would be thieves(amateurs)at bay, but if you have a professional that steals cars for a living, nothing will keep him out from stealing your car. The professionals even know how to disable tracking features too.

Have you guys ever had anything stolen out of your car and/or your car vandalized?

It happened to me once and it bothered me for a LONG time. I was sooo pissed I would actually get stomach aches just thinking about it and how much I'd like to beat the shit out of the loser, piece of shit, scum-bag who's such a fricken jerk off he has to steal other people's stuff and vandalize the car in the process.

I mean, if someone said to me, "look, I'm going to steal your stereo. You can either give it to me now, or I'll come by at night and smash out multiple windows and rip your dash apart..." I'd gladly just give him the stereo.

Since that's not how theives work, I live in a scummy neighbor hood, park 30 feet from one of the busiest roads in town, and I like to actually sleep at night (knowing I'll be notified if someone tries to jack the car--which BTW, I CANNOT hear from my apartment) to me it's worth my time if I have to spend more.

Besides, if someone bumps the door and puts a ding in it, I will be paged and if I get there in time can confront the person or write down their license plate number and haul their ass to court. Or maybe find out where they live and put a couple dents in their door, if you know what I mean.

Check this out... I'm thinkin' about getting a lo-jack sticker for my car and that's all. Haha. But seriously! No criminal is gunna TEST to see if it actually has it, I wouldn't think... but yeah. LoL.

gpt
    Just a little story I thought I would relay - I used to live in South Africa. In one 12 month period my car got broken into 6 times. The thief would crawl under the car, cut the wire from the battery and disable the alarm. My car was parked outside my window behind an electric fence when this happened.
    I stoped installing new car radio's after this..... Just remember whatever alarm you install there will be a way around - it just acts as a deterrant and thats all.

Hope you all have better luck than me.....

Originally posted by CivicSiR
    Check this out... I'm thinkin' about getting a lo-jack sticker for my car and that's all. Haha. But seriously! No criminal is gunna TEST to see if it actually has it, I wouldn't think... but yeah. LoL.
    I WAS JUST thinking about the same thing the other night! Where can we get some of those?!?!

Seriously! I mean, what's he going to do, steal a car that says it's equipped with a lojack? If he can't find it soon enough (which he won't if there isn't one) he'll be sweating bullets, right? I think he'd move on to the next Civic Si for that much trouble. Plus, if you add an alarm (with paging) and an auto lock to the mix, he'd have to want your car pretty bad....

Originally posted by gpt
    Just a little story I thought I would relay - I used to live in South Africa. In one 12 month period my car got broken into 6 times. The thief would crawl under the car, cut the wire from the battery and disable the alarm. My car was parked outside my window behind an electric fence when this happened.
    I stoped installing new car radio's after this..... Just remember whatever alarm you install there will be a way around - it just acts as a deterrant and thats all.

Hope you all have better luck than me.....
    I don't know how I'd do it (I'd think of something pretty creative), but I'd find that bastard one way or the other (hidden camera?)and either personally break all his arms and legs, or see to it that he was assfucked every day in jail, when they captured him.

Then again, he might like that, so I'd be more prone to go after arms and legs. People like that are so low, I don't even have words to describe it. It really angers me--seriously.

GhettoSamurai
    I have a near top end CLifford, the only thing that is diffrent from my model and the top model is some Infared viewing square in the window. Needless to say they still stole my Si, I got it back with Lo-Jack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information