Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Here are some current pics, although I haven't done much to it in two years (been saving up for whatever I decide to do about the motor) --

I miss my Rays..

In action:

Exhaust; Fujitsubo RM-01A, JDM spec, installed using an OEM Type-S header & catalytic convertor with some O2 sensor wire extensions from Casper Electronics:

And the FIRST picture ever taken of my car with the new exhaust installed :

think, dont pray MEAN IRISH GUY's Avatar
    hahaha is that a traffic photo?

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN IRISH GUY View Post
    hahaha is that a traffic photo?
    It sure is. I installed the exhaust on, I think, Wednesday before Labor Day, went out of town for that weekend, then drove back home on Labor Day. Turns out that "090505" is the date, Sept. 5th, 2005, at 1529 (aka 3:29 PM). I think I got busted for a 36 in a 25 or something like that; nobody drives 25 on that street anyway.

think, dont pray MEAN IRISH GUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    It sure is. I installed the exhaust on, I think, Wednesday before Labor Day, went out of town for that weekend, then drove back home on Labor Day. Turns out that "090505" is the date, Sept. 5th, 2005, at 1529 (aka 3:29 PM). I think I got busted for a 36 in a 25 or something like that; nobody drives 25 on that street anyway.
    thats in dc right? where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN IRISH GUY View Post
    thats in dc right? where is that?
    It was on M St SE., a block or so east of S. Capitol, right by where the Nats stadium is now. It was a portable speed trap, and although I rarely drive on that stretch, it was the only time I've seen one there.

Hadn't updated my car since 2008, have I?

If any of you watch the EPHatch group on Facebook, you might've seen me sell my EP a couple weeks back. It was a great fifteen years with the first car I ever bought brand-new and made into my own car (even though it was heavily influenced by the original Mugen EP). Although my new FK7 is much more civilized inside -- and Robotech-wild outside -- I miss the fun little egg.

Got a CR-V for my wife the same day, too. Still can't believe we blew nearly sixty grand in an afternoon.

(trying to add attachments in the new forum software but the quota is amazingly small.. like, 87 KB-small...)

Congrats on your new purchase! Did you get the FK7 in the SI trim?

Someone needs to upgrade the forums photo protocall! I should be easier to post pics this day in age.

Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    Congrats on your new purchase! Did you get the FK7 in the SI trim?

Someone needs to upgrade the forums photo protocall! I should be easier to post pics this day in age.
    I think the FK7 is specifically the new '17+ hatchback, and they don't (and won't) have an Si trim for the hatch (the Si was announced a couple days ago as being for the coupe and sedan; they're doing the Type-R on the hatchback exclusively).

I got the Sport Touring model -- top-of-the-line among current Civics with all the goodies. Thinking back, the EP was the top-line Civic, too, but the only driving aid it had was ABS. Now I've got built-in Garmin nav, CarPlay, lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control (freaky how it works), lane departure warning, road departure mitigation (the steering kicks back at you to keep you on the road), rear camera, rain sensing wipers, side view camera, automatic headlights with automatic high beams, multi-mode CVT (with a "manual" mode that makes a CVT less annoying for an enthusiast like me), proximity auto-unlock and auto-lock, a 500-something-watt stereo with a sub (ehh... sounds okay), heated seats front and rear...

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I think the FK7 is specifically the new '17+ hatchback, and they don't (and won't) have an Si trim for the hatch (the Si was announced a couple days ago as being for the coupe and sedan; they're doing the Type-R on the hatchback exclusively).

I got the Sport Touring model -- top-of-the-line among current Civics with all the goodies. Thinking back, the EP was the top-line Civic, too, but the only driving aid it had was ABS. Now I've got built-in Garmin nav, CarPlay, lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control (freaky how it works), lane departure warning, road departure mitigation (the steering kicks back at you to keep you on the road), rear camera, rain sensing wipers, side view camera, automatic headlights with automatic high beams, multi-mode CVT (with a "manual" mode that makes a CVT less annoying for an enthusiast like me), proximity auto-unlock and auto-lock, a 500-something-watt stereo with a sub (ehh... sounds okay), heated seats front and rear...

Damn, thought they would of atleast has a hatch SI model... no bueno

Sheeeesh, the FK7 sounds like it super technologically advance! I like some of those advancements but the lane assist stuff sounds like it there to help the shit bag drivers that love to text drive, do make up, not pay attention or better yet be faded and drive. Great Job on Honda none the less, enjoy the new Civic sounds like its a pretty smooth chill ride!

Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    Damn, thought they would of atleast has a hatch SI model... no bueno
    The Si coupe looks like it'll be the best choice for fun backroads driving and autocrossing. Lightest chassis of the new generation and smallest overall.

Sheeeesh, the FK7 sounds like it super technologically advance! I like some of those advancements but the lane assist stuff sounds like it there to help the shit bag drivers that love to text drive, do make up, not pay attention or better yet be faded and drive. Great Job on Honda none the less, enjoy the new Civic sounds like its a pretty smooth chill ride!
    It's weird to turn on all the driver assist functions and let it nearly take care of itself.

Situation: stop-and-crawl rush hour traffic on the parkway.

Tech: Turn on LKAS (Lane Keep Assist), ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), and keep the other stuff on, too (lane departure warning [beeps at you], road departure mitigation [yanks on the wheel automatically], and anti-collision [beeps AND hits the brakes]. Set the cruise for, say, 65 mph.

Results:
    -Your car follows the one in front of you at the same timed interval ALL THE TIME. The distance increases with speed (as it should) but you'll always be about 1.5 or 1.7 seconds behind. You can also set it to follow closer or farther; I think there are four different settings for the interval.
    - If your car can "see" the lane markings, it will auto-steer. Which is freaky.
    - As traffic slows down, so does your car. If you've set it to do 65 mph but traffic is only doing 15, your car will do 15.
    - If (or when!) traffic stops, so does your car. If it stops for more than a second or so and your dashboard says "Stopped", your car will NOT begin moving again on its own -- even if traffic starts going again -- until you tap the gas pedal. Then, it will resume following the car ahead of you.
    -*- Important: If you try to take your hands off the wheel and let the car "autopilot", it will warn you, then it will disengage itself. You MUST be touching the steering wheel. This also makes sure that, if the car auto-shakes the steering wheel (lane or roadway departure), it can grab your attention.

Drawbacks:
    - It's not autopilot. That's okay; the world isn't ready for millions of autopilot cars yet.
    - It's very tempting to stop paying attention to traffic.
    - It cannot know about any traffic beyond the car in front of you. It doesn't look far enough ahead to see the sudden slowdown that's happening 300 yards down the road. It only reacts to whatever the car in front of you does, so it can't predict whether to ease up and begin braking unless the car in front of you starts slowing down. Even then, it's reacting more slowly than I would prefer, so it ends up braking and re-accelerating harder than I would myself.

I now understand what a traffic engineer friend told me: If you have several cars in a row using today's autopilot and adaptive cruise systems, they will start doing a "rubber band effect", where the third or fourth car in line begins suddenly braking and suddenly accelerating and suddenly braking, over and over again. Unless the cars can all communicate with each other and "agree" on an average speed, they'll be stuck driving half-blind, merely reacting to the car immediately in front of themselves.

All that being said, and maybe because, long ago, I've relented to DC traffic and am in no hurry to get anywhere when it's busy, driving with all these systems engaged became more relaxing. I don't need to constantly be choosing whether to gas or brake; I only need to monitor what my car is doing. It's one less thing I have to worry about when all I want to do is get from A to B.

What I don't like is where this march towards autonomous cars is going to leave the drivers. When these systems don't work -- which is when it's very crowded, or the weather sucks, or the roadway is poorly marked -- the driver needs to have full understanding of what to do. I think that the less often a driver is in charge of a vehicle, the more they get out of practice, and the less they'll be able to handle dangerous situations.

Those are some insane results. Thanks for taking the time to put it in a scenario for better understanding, sounds like these new adapative cars are the way to go for that busy city life. Hopefully this will end people running into the back of taxi cabs. lol I remember my mom ran into a taxi a long time ago when he slammed on his breaks to pick up a customer lol oooh the 90s.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information