Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ice Cold Intake..

WARNING - THESE HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED. THESE ARE IDEAS

THESE ARE ALSO IDEAS THAT ARE PROBABLY MOST EFEFCTIVE USING THE HOMEMADE INTAKE SEEN IN THE "Homemade Intake" THREAD

Late last night, when i was trying to go to bed (im not joking; im always up for an hour or so just thinking about how to improve cars. i love cars. carscarscarscarscarscars!), I hatched out this idea...

On those hot summer days when your Intake doesnt get much (much? haha, if you're in Texas, you get NONE!) cold air, I was thinking about having this add on for your intake (these are just ideas)

Basically, it's a little box in a circle shape on top of your Intake cone, and there'd be a little RPM indicator hooked up to a tiny bit of water (of course, you should get a bypass valve, incase something happens [liek going through puddles, not my intake idea ;p]), and under the water, would be chips of Dry Ice. What happens, when you gun it, before the engine revs, the little indicator releases a steady jet of water, and when the water hits the dry ice, the fumes will be released (dry ice is extremely cold). There would be 4 or more nozzles that would release the vapors, and they'd be pointed toward the cone. Now, since those vapors are out before the engine goes, once it DOES start to rev, the intake would suck them in (keep in mind that it'd be about a .00001 wait, so the vapors would be going that way anyway). Wha-la, cold air.

BUT WAIT!

i have another idea, this time, it has to do with regular ice.

Again, you'll need a bypass valve, just incase. You hook up a tough plastic bag (not a Kroger bag, i'll go out and find a tough brand of plastic that might work and tell you all later) and then put in a little bit of ice, and seal that part off (using heat, possibly, or just tying it will work i guess). Then you poke tiny, tiny holes into it, just so air can circulate. Put it in another bag. Then place that bag around your cone, and clamp it down using your existing clamp....

CRAP. the bell just rang for 7th period (im at school, teehee)

I'll finish the rest a little later (when i get home)

sorry!

Stop watching the back to the future movie so much !! :) I thought i told you that Damn FLUX CAPACITOR you keep designing will NEVER WORK in the EP LOL -:) good random ideas though. --you must have won alot of scinece fair projects-- joe :p

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    I don't think you want ICE COLD air. What you really need is cool air, kind of like a fan. Using Dry Ice and water to create air with freezing temperatures could be a danger to your internals.

jackson racing makes the water atomizer for there supercharger systems. The key to preventing hydrolock with water is the atomization of the particles, to create the "misting" affect. therefore lowering the extreme intake charges, after all nothing cools or evaporates better than plan ole H2o, well then of course there's alcohol LOL :) --- i dont know why i posted this??? but hope everyone learns from it

undaground knowledge
    hey sucka...I hear what your getting at but that is too much to try and hook up, let alone iron out the gremlins....

however.... I was reading this book I bought about super rare muscle cars. One trick that Dan Yenko used on his 67' camaro, was a coffee and about 3 ft. of extra gas line. He added the extra length of gas line, then he coiled it up, and put it in the coffee can. next he would just pack in ice. cold dense fuel= more fuel per cylinder.....

simple. hmm....... I'm wonderin if we could acomplish such a task with our cars?

but hear me now, listen to me later, but understand a week from now.... you are just a little girlie man with no biceps!:)

i saw this on a website once, i forget which one, but a guy hooked up his a/c to his intake somehow. i didn't stick around to see if it worked or not, but all the guys were telling him it wouldn't work. "there is no way the cooler air entering the engine would compensate for the loss of power with having your a/c being turned on in the first place," was the normal response. he was supposed to have taken it to a strip to see if it improved his times any. i wish i visited that thread again. if that worked it would be much easier than hooking up some device with water or ice.

continued...

They're not random. I put alot of thought into this. I have a new idea now...

This works kind of like a valve that will releave excess pressure.

1. Bling Bling Intake Pipe
    2. Regular Cone
    3. FFA (Forced Freezing Air [i like to make up names :)])

It looks pretty stupid, probably because I designed it in paint, but Its to get the basic idea across. Up at the top, where it's the steepest point, is where the valves are. they're those two red dots, pretty much. Down at the bottom two "legs," those will be fitted with two chunks of dry ice (symbolized by two white blocks). I have yet to figure out a way to get water into the pressure chambers, but heck, give me some time, I made this just last night.

Now that i'm thinking about it, this kind of forced air might be a tad harmful? Because the engine is so hot and the air is so cold? Can I get some ideas please? (hoping to be proven wrong!)

twill
    Something to consider about the Dry Ice as well... it is mostly frozen C02 (carbon dioxide) and not oxygen, which is needed for combustion. Pumping more non-burning gasses into the intake might not gain you much.

It seems like packing/wrapping your intake pipe with the Dry Ice would keep the intake charge cooler and more dense. For that matter, why couldn't you use custom AC refrigerant piping to wrap around the intake and somehow plumb that back into the stock AC system or into an auxiliary AC condenser/dryer unit. Too heavy/cumbersome?

Actualy, CO2 would be more helpful then regular air (in scientific terms - PLEASE COMMENT!)

Oxygen is a very small part of air, i think it's only 45% or something? I'll check a little later. In CO2, Oxygen is 2 parts out of 3. 1 Carbon atom for every 2 Oxygen. That's 66% Oxygen.

Again, my ideas are in the beginning stages. These haven't been tested yet. I did, however, bring the idea to a Performance store next door to my workplace, and they want me to design it and try it out on a car and see what happens.

Also, I have designed a new way to do it. I'll be scanning in my sketch (its the first time i've drawn it out on paper) a little later.

Originally posted by TrippZ
    Actualy, CO2 would be more helpful then regular air (in scientific terms - PLEASE COMMENT!)

Oxygen is a very small part of air, i think it's only 45% or something? I'll check a little later. In CO2, Oxygen is 2 parts out of 3. 1 Carbon atom for every 2 Oxygen. That's 66% Oxygen.

Again, my ideas are in the beginning stages. These haven't been tested yet. I did, however, bring the idea to a Performance store next door to my workplace, and they want me to design it and try it out on a car and see what happens.

Also, I have designed a new way to do it. I'll be scanning in my sketch (its the first time i've drawn it out on paper) a little later.
    aren't you just 15? your going to be the biggest car enthusiast in the world!

yeah, im only 15 ;p

but i love cars. I've come up with VERY innovative designs.

First, it was just some valves going off when you dont even now when.

Then, it was all about 2 levers, 1 poked a bag of water, the other let a valve go.

Then, it was about 2 levers again, where one would pull a slide out and let water into the ice chaber, and the other would pull up two gates that would let the air out.

Now, it's with 1 lever, and 1 gate. And it'll go right into the intake. :) You pull a lever, and it lets water from the Water Tank into the Dry Ice Chamber. Then, inside the Presurizing chambers, the gasses are left to build up. \The one gate is covered with a Slide that has heavy duty plastic in it (basically, if this design was to actually work and be sold, there'd be little boxes with 100 slides, get it?). What'll happen, since the plastic is weaker then the titanium (has to be titanium, I decided, or reinforced steel. it needs to stand up to ALOT of pressure), it'll give first. The new design basically is slanted in a way where when you dont have it ready for a shot (i decided to call it a shot, because when the plastic tears, it's like a huge POW!), the intake cone can still effectivly suck in wair. When your shot goes off, the exhaust gate is pointed at an angle in which it'll go right into the path of suction. It's really, really, quite simple, but complicated as well. I just have to find out of the extra carbon atoms from the CO2 are going to damage our beloved K20 engine. ... ... only one way to find out, right? *gulps in fear*

(just kidding, im not gonna put that on my car untill i know it works. I'm buying a dodge aspen for $150 just to work on the design (and to race with, because i can make it fast in 1 hour :))

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    Bypass your Air Conditioning duct and attach it to your intake tube. Ice Cold Air.

someone already brought that up

they said that where they heard it from, everyone replied with "it wouldnt compensate for the power you lost for having your air conditioner on"

:-/ i was thinking about that too, but if i could design a lightweight, durrable way to give a quick boost of power when you're trying to pull in that last stretch...

Im still trying to find a way to change the timing, so you know when its going to shoot.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrippZ
    [B]someone already brought that up

but if i could design a lightweight, durrable way to give a quick boost of power when you're trying to pull in that last stretch...

QUOTE]

Nitrous, man!!!

ya, but some people (actually, alot of people) dont have the money for **QUALITY** nitrous kits. i say quality because some of the ads i see in my magazines look poorly done.

Also, some people tlel me that Vtec doesnt work good with nitrous.

besides, wouldnt you buy this mod for $50 if you knew it gave your car a smack on the ass (smack as in, pushing it forward with sudden force! not destroying it!)? I want to design something cheap, because damnit, thsi stuff is getting expensive!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information