Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question oh oh ....first problem with my EP, any ideas....

well about a week ago i noticed this little noise from the front end of my car and ever since its gotten louder and louder, the noise to me seems to be coming from the steering wheel/steering column and the best way to describe it to you is taht it sounds like "non-lubricated rubber rubbing" as wierd as that sounds, i have come to the conclusion that it might have something to do with my steering wheel and column and possibly my power steering, maybe a CV joint but either way im taking my car to the dealer on Wednesday to get it checked out, i just wanted to kno wif anieone else had experienced this or might know the cause, again i am no mechanic so, any feedback would be cool, thanx.....

damn man.. you too. i have teh EXACT same problem with mine.. it just started to do it and it get progressivley worse each day. i need to go to honda too.. :sadm:

you dont have any idea as to what it might be.......i talked to one of mie friends @ werk and he went to Automotive skool and what not and he actually was a tech at a honda dealer and he was kinda baffled to....any how ill let u kno what happens as long as you let me know what happens when u take ur car to the dealer

I have a similar noise like that except it sounds to be comming from whole dash area. Let us know what ur dealer does to fix it. :)
    Last edited by hobbs03si; 10-06-2003 at 05:23 PM.

Re: oh oh ....first problem with my EP, any ideas....

Originally posted by DTR
    well about a week ago i noticed this little noise from the front end of my car and ever since its gotten louder and louder, the noise to me seems to be coming from the steering wheel/steering column and the best way to describe it to you is taht it sounds like "non-lubricated rubber rubbing" as wierd as that sounds, i have come to the conclusion that it might have something to do with my steering wheel and column and possibly my power steering, maybe a CV joint but either way im taking my car to the dealer on Wednesday to get it checked out, i just wanted to kno wif anieone else had experienced this or might know the cause, again i am no mechanic so, any feedback would be cool, thanx.....
    I have the exact same sounds --- seems to be after rain and/or hard driving on a humid day -- when it dries out ... sound goes away (or at least gets a lot quiter). Let me know what your dealer says -- mine said, "I cant hear anything, so i cant fix it." -- total BS.

Canuck
    Is it a clunking type of noise when you turn the steering wheel in slow parking lot turns?. I had that problem and the dealer had to swap my driver side strut/spring assembly unit, the noise has been gone for over a year. They first tried to lube the part, the noise went away for a few weeks but later returned. It only went away permanently with the new assembly. Something about the unit being too loose and too much play in it. Only solution is to replace it. It took a couple visits to the dealer but they eventually did it.

Joey

DAMN...I have that same noise when I make slow left turns. I have springs on the car now. Dumb question...but do you guys think there gonna void my warranty cause I lowered it?

ephatch member
    Keep us posted, I am still waiting to see the Honda Canada Rep., as the dealership doesn't have a clue, and won't try too hard either. They even go so far as to say that when they asked Honda about swapping out a strut assembly that it reportedly has never been done...

What do you think of that JSIR?

I have the EXACT same issue! The weird thing is I only here it when I make right turns only not left turns, just right turns. It just started happening and I have no idea why.

Will the dealer say anything about the springs... I would like to know.

Canuck
    Originally posted by IchBinEinSiR
    Keep us posted, I am still waiting to see the Honda Canada Rep., as the dealership doesn't have a clue, and won't try too hard either. They even go so far as to say that when they asked Honda about swapping out a strut assembly that it reportedly has never been done...

What do you think of that JSIR?
    he, he, he, typical manufacturer warranty representative answer. There have been many reports of this same problem. Do a search and you will find other threads on this subject. I first heard of it from the CTR guys in Britain, when I had the noise one of them told me they got it solved by replacing the spring/strut assembly, they did both on his car. Thus I started bugging my dealer. The noise got pretty consistent so I could replicate the noise by driving in certain parking lot situations. Wasnt much my dealer could say other then they would try to fix it. They had to repair it first before replacing parts. If the noise came back they would then replace parts. They lubed it up and the noise went away for 3 weeks but then returned. They ended up replacing my driver side spring strut assembly. Thing is, the parts take forever to arrive, I waited several months and they could not get the parts. So my service manager took one out of a new car they had on the lot and must have gave that car my defective part.

Tell your Honda rep. to call London Honda in London, Ontario and speak to Chris Butters about how they fixed the noise on a 2002 Honda Civic SiR for a guy named Mazzotta. Chris actually drove my car and was directly involved in getting the problem resolved.

BTW, my dealer installed my Eibach Prokits for me, they dont look down on aftermarket parts and they dont try to blame parts for warranty claims. They sell and install almost any aftermarket part you can think of. My dealer is pretty cool about that, not all are like that though. Some dealers look down on stuff like that.

Joey

ephatch member
    Thanks JSIR, I have been through the same process as you, lubing, inspecting, rubber spring booties... still makes the noise. I started a thread of my own a while back, and have read through several of the similar threads that can be found on this site. In fact a service rep at my dealership had already told me that the strut would be replaced, and had ordered the part. While I was waiting for it she "left" Honda, and the new service rep wants the Canada rep to see the car before they do any work...

I have printed off several of the thread responses, indicating the problem and how the other dealerships dealt with the problem:

REPLACED STRUT(S)

Canuck
    Originally posted by IchBinEinSiR
    Thanks JSIR, I have been through the same process as you, lubing, inspecting, rubber spring booties... still makes the noise. I started a thread of my own a while back, and have read through several of the similar threads that can be found on this site. In fact a service rep at my dealership had already told me that the strut would be replaced, and had ordered the part. While I was waiting for it she "left" Honda, and the new service rep wants the Canada rep to see the car before they do any work...

I have printed off several of the thread responses, indicating the problem and how the other dealerships dealt with the problem:

REPLACED STRUT(S)
    yup that is how it's repaired properly, make sure they replace it as a whole assembly too - spring & strut, not just struts. On my car it was just the driver side making the noise, the passenger one has been fine.

I've got Eibach prokits on it now which my Honda dealer installed for me. I do get a spring tension kind of noise first thing in the morning some days as I pull out of my garage, but it only happens once and goes away, and it doesnt happen every day. I think that's just the Eibach springs moving a bit after being parked ( my garage has a funny slope to it), which isn't a big deal. Other than that everything has been fine.

Joey

This is a known issue on the UK EP3 as well.

We have had lots of people on www.civictype-r.co.uk that have had either their front shock assemblies replaced or their entire steering racks.

Hope this helps?

EvoStu.

well i was getting the noise heavily with my 17" rims on it but now that i put the stock SI rims back on it i havent really heard it, so it makes me worry that theyll call me a fukkin liar, but im still gonna sak them to give it a check out..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information