Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ephatch member
    thanks for all the very intuitive information .. It definetly gives me something to think about..I am going to definetly considering some 16's now.. i just like the look of a bigger tire.. and really wonder statistically.. how much of a difference it really makes..

Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz
    I am going to definetly considering some 16's now.. i just like the look of a bigger tire.. and really wonder statistically.. how much of a difference it really makes..
    Statistically, you are 93% more likely to prefer smaller wheels and bigger tires. The ratio of people who regret buying bigger wheels to people who regret buying smaller wheels is 27.3:1. The statistics are on your side. :D

If you plan on drag racing at a track, competitively, get the smaller wheels. If you're not going to race, just get whatever you like and don't sweat the details.

Originally posted by Burgh
    If you plan on drag racing at a track, competitively, get the smaller wheels. If you're not going to race, just get whatever you like and don't sweat the details.
    I agree. If you are racing = smaller wheel. If you don't race and you just want your car to look sweet to your taste = do whatever you want.

You guys are implying you won't notice the difference from behind the wheel unless you're on a racetrack and that's just not true. Every time you accelerate or go over a bump, you feel big wheels with low-profile tires. And your chances of bending a rim go up the thinner your sidewalls are.

I'm not saying 17"+ wheels are always a bad decision, but saying racing is the only reason to go smaller is misleading. I never race, but chose 15" Superleggeras because of the benefits of ride comfort, acceleration, and the reduced load on the suspension in EVERY DAY DRIVING. Plus, they look far better than oversized tuner knockoff rims, IMHO.
    Last edited by bobdobbs; 10-14-2003 at 01:26 PM.

Originally posted by bobdobbs
    You guys are implying you won't notice the difference from behind the wheel unless you're on a racetrack and that's just not true.
    Sorry if I came off sounding that way but that's not what I meant to convey. I was basically saying that if you're not a dragracer you don't care AS much about losing that 0.xx seconds in the 1/4. Sure, you'll feel your fatass 17"s in daily driving too, not just racing. But if you're not doing it for competition then the looks of a 17" may be worth taking that hit in performance. I'll never put 17s on my car cuz it'll make me slower and even less competitive than I already am. :D But if I wasn't in it for the competition, I probably wouldn't care.

Originally posted by Burgh
    But if I wasn't in it for the competition, I probably wouldn't care.
    I bet you would. :D

I put 17" ATS Planets on my old '00 Saab 9-3 and the performance difference from the stock 15s was annoyingly noticeable. Once I was going up a pretty steep hill and it felt like I was driving through molasses. You end up thinking, "Damn, I spent all this money on these wheels and tires and now my car is slower!" They looked better (than stock) but you can't see them while driving. :D

I bet you would. :D
    Ok, you got me, I would care. :D I don't put a dime into making my car look good but that's just me. I guess I should say that some other people wouldn't care about the slight loss in performance.

Maybe it's just me, but cosmetic mods that make your car look fast, but actually slow it down is at least partially the definition of "Rice". ;)

Maybe it's just me, but cosmetic mods that make your car look fast, but actually slow it down is at least partially the definition of "Rice". ;)
    i'll agree with that to a certain extent, but only if the cosmetic mod is way over the top. simply putting 17s on your car doesn't make you "rice," but 17" chromed-out spinning wheels is.

Originally posted by Tenacious G
    i'll agree with that to a certain extent, but only if the cosmetic mod is way over the top. simply putting 17s on your car doesn't make you "rice," but 17" chromed-out spinning wheels is.
    The other part of the definition is denial. I.e., it's always the OTHER guy who's a ricer. :D

Everyone here is talking about how the 17's would affect the accelleration and strip times, but won't 17's give the car better handling because of the stiffer sidewalls? I'm not too sure if its the sidewalls but I always heard handling would be increased with bigger tires, smack me right guys

ehh...ill just stick with stock rims...and maybe powdercoat them white =o)...FOR NOW muahahah
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

ha, you guys are funny...

check out GRM's wheel test (autocross in a civic) at http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/plustest.html

17's turned faster lap times and were top choice by most drivers...

That test is seriously flawed since they didn't keep tire size constant as wheel size changed. The widest tires were on the largest wheels and they concluded the wheel size was the reason the lap times were the best. Not too convincing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information