Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Made my first Mod!

No big deal really, but I switched out the stock rear speakers for a pair of Rockford-Fosgate 6 1/2's. I still had to drill an extra hole in them to get them to fit. What a big difference they make. I haven't had the patience to attempt the fronts yet. I don't want to deal with taking the door panel's off.

Kewl, have any pics of them installed (with the speaker covers off, of course).

Last edited by I-4Si; 09-09-2002 at 12:16 PM.

iHeartOxycotin
    i hear ya, these speakers aren't the best things are they? any how i'm glad you have some extra cash to get some sound quality in that si, have fun with it. :D

SLOlife
    I replaced my speakers as well, it does make a pretty lage difference.

Did you bust up laughing like I did when I pulled out the factory speaker, the magnet was a joke, and not even a double cone!

I had read that they were small, but that was ridiculous. The RF are so much bigger. In this case, bigger is better.:D

I got some nice 6.5" alpines for the back, but they don't fit :-( and i'm scared to drill holes.

The RF had plenty of mounting holes, but I could only get two to match up which is why I had to get the drill.

SLOlife
    I put in some Polk speakers. The speaker did not line up with the factory holes. What I did was to mount the top screw in the speaker. Then using some of the clips that came with the speakers (the clip that you slide over the edge after you drill a hole and the screw screws in to) broke them in half so all I had was a small metal square with a hole in it. The speaker fit with one screw in the top location, but the 2 other holes were outside of the whole speaker. I was able to use the clips as little clamps using the factory screws and holes, they put pressure on the speaker ring. Worked great no rattles and no drilling of the car.

I think it should make sense but let me know, I dont think this method will work if the speaker doesn't have a large edge to it or i the surrounds go to the edge (infinity for example).

ephatch member
    Originally posted by SLOlife
    I put in some Polk speakers. The speaker did not line up with the factory holes. What I did was to mount the top screw in the speaker. Then using some of the clips that came with the speakers (the clip that you slide over the edge after you drill a hole and the screw screws in to) broke them in half so all I had was a small metal square with a hole in it. The speaker fit with one screw in the top location, but the 2 other holes were outside of the whole speaker. I was able to use the clips as little clamps using the factory screws and holes, they put pressure on the speaker ring. Worked great no rattles and no drilling of the car.

I think it should make sense but let me know, I dont think this method will work if the speaker doesn't have a large edge to it or i the surrounds go to the edge (infinity for example).
    Good idea. I pulled a couple of sonys out of my last car... now i gotta dig up that damn extra parts kit that came with them. I hope I saved it, otherwise it's off to lowes. If I get everything to fit and it doesn't look too fuggin rigged, I'll take some pics.

SLOlife
    Glad I can be of some help.

Can you take a picture of the oe speaker as well, I think once people see that there will be a mad rush for some new speakers.

ephatch member
    what i should do is take a picture of it on a scale... the thing is a friggin paper plate. (i got in there a coupla days ago to switch it out, but i ran outta time so i had to put the paper plate back in, now I cringe everytime the bass hits :()

ephatch member
    installed some speakers today using SLO's suggestion...

Here's the installed speaker. As you can see, I screwed the metal tabs into the factory holes, then bent them around the speaker to clamp it into place.

my speaker cover wouldn't go back on because the mid/tweeter combo stuck out too far, so i had to grind down the inside of the cover with my dremel.

And last but not least, the oem speaker in all of its glory. notice that smaller circle in the middle? that is the magnet, about 3/4" deep and 1 1/2" in diamter.... pretty impressive.

Last edited by X 2KS2K; 09-14-2002 at 02:47 PM.

Thread Information