Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ^^ yup thats the stuff.. Don't forget to post pics when you're done.

cool thanks i was kind of confused when i saw it was for body work
    and hummm this mods wont be done on the ep well not for now or if i win 25k (can) it will be made on an ep but since then ill practice on my little go-kart

The install looks good. I've often thought of refinishing the consule because there are a few flaws in it from the factory.

Whenever I get a new headunit, I'll be doing this for sure. Thanks for all the step-by-step info.

I'm trying to do the custom HU install right now. Its not so fun. You have to have a lot of patience. I'll post pics later tonight when I'm done.

did you also do the bottom shifter piece?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

Well its been two days since i started the custom head unit install and I'm still not done. I want to make it perfect but it is taking forever. You need PATIENCE to do this. I'm a perfectionist so I might end up buying a new replacement piece.

lol.. it took me a while too. Getting a new dash often crossed my mind while I was doing this. I plan on re doing this when it gets warm to get it perfect.

plainol2k2si I didn't use any bondo on the lower dash. I did however paint it to match the upper dash.

I love a clean look on a car and when I get a new headunit this looks like the ticket. Just wondering does any one make a flip face or removable face HU that when I have the HU off that it would all most look like there was not head unit in the car?

Originally posted by siver-SI
    I love a clean look on a car and when I get a new headunit this looks like the ticket. Just wondering does any one make a flip face or removable face HU that when I have the HU off that it would all most look like there was not head unit in the car?
    Kenwood makes the "D-Mask" receiver and JVC makes the "Kamelon" receiver.

Warning

Just to let you know I did a custom install a while back, befor an instal kit was out. I painted it red( you may still be able to find the tred. But any way, The problem that I ran into was that on hot days the paint and bondo would get hot and get soft. I ended up buying a new console ($178). This is just a heads up. But yours look much better than mine. I didnt have pocket.

Re: Warning

Originally posted by silver02
    Just to let you know I did a custom install a while back, befor an instal kit was out. I painted it red( you may still be able to find the tred. But any way, The problem that I ran into was that on hot days the paint and bondo would get hot and get soft. I ended up buying a new console ($178). This is just a heads up. But yours look much better than mine. I didnt have pocket.
    Really? I went through some hot days it it was ok. Did you use the same type of bondo? It could be the paint. From my past experience, if you use heavy coats of paint and do not let it complete dry between coats, it'll never completly dry and will become soft when heated up.
    My theory is that the the final coat dries before the initial coats. They don't dry because it's sealed in with the final layer. Therefore the moisture in the first coat of paint is trapped. You can usually scrap it off with a screw driver. I've seen my friend do this when painting his dash. So just remember to use light coats. Your first 2-3 coats should not completely cover the primer.

Just wanted to let you guys know I was removing the sticky on this. The pics are gone and I think it's had good exposure. :)

I can host the pics if that is a problem. Thanks for giving some good ideas there. I like the install idea of this and when I do a new HU I think I am going to try this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information