Close

Just wondering if there are any members here that drive their Ep +100 miles a day?

Might be taking a new job about +70 miles one way, until I get settled in and get an apartment near. I was wondering how well the car handles the daily haul, milage, performance, comfort etc..... I

Thinking about preparing my car like this for heavy commuting....

1) Clear 3M mask for road debris & rock chip protection.

2) Going back to 15/60/195 Dunlop SP9000's for both all season
    performance and fuel savings. I have 15/55/205 Perellis currently

3) Changing oil to fully synthetic, likely Mobil 1 5/20

4) AEM Short ram intake.

5) Neuspeed or Borla Exhaust for efficiency and quietness.

-Ryan

once chunky wakes up he will be able to give you some insight on all that stuff...even as far as oil is...he has a post where he had it tested

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    mobil 1 is my choice of the slick stuff. the best price I have found is at Sams Club. it is the walmart version of costco. as far as the 100+ mile commute, I dont do 100 miles total for the week that I work(7days on 7days off). I fill my car up every other week:D I have heard that the 3m mask film is good. I really don't think that a little more height and a little less width will make that much difference in gas mileage. if you went to insight skinny tires, maybe. the cost of new tires vs. saving a few cents at the pump will probably be a wash at best. as far as the i/e is concerned, efficiency never hurt a thing, as long as you can stay out of the go pedal ;)
    good luck

yeah, definitely get the 3M mask... that should help you out a lot. i drove my ep 150 miles a day for 3 months over this past winter, and it did great, minus the chipped up front bumper. one of my foglights also got nailed with a rock and cracked. i don't think there is anyway around that one, though...

also, cruise control works wonders on commutes like that. i was getting about 30 or 31 mpg when i set my cruise for most of the trip, and i even have a injen cai.

Originally posted by ep pilot
    Thinking about preparing my car like this for heavy commuting....

1) Clear 3M mask for road debris & rock chip protection.

2) Going back to 15/60/195 Dunlop SP9000's for both all season
    performance and fuel savings. I have 15/55/205 Perellis currently

3) Changing oil to fully synthetic, likely Mobil 1 5/20

4) AEM Short ram intake.

5) Neuspeed or Borla Exhaust for efficiency and quietness.

-Ryan
    I drive 98 miles roundtrip, (recently 145 miles).
    The 3M mask would be good for the highway miles with fuggin 18wheelers all over the place. 195 is hella good choice over 205 as this change proved efficient for my 94 dx hatch. on my Si, I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 but cannot comment on diff since I replaced my OE fill after just 2.5k. I love that stuff though, engine revs very happily. I also use a SRI and it appears to have actually pushed my mileage up by about 25 for a tank. I will be installing my Evo today, but I am skeptical that the Neuspeed or Borla would provide quietness over OE, maybe fuel efficiency? sorry for the lack of answers, mainly a couple observations I've had.

I would recommend that you go with 87o since it does the job just perfectly for the cheapest price. I used 93o until my commute had to double, now nearly tripled. What else, oh yes, cruise at 70 and your ride with those mods will give you 345-360 miles per tank no problem...1 last thing, I thought CAI would be quieter than SRI? :D

around 110ish daily here since Dec of '02

1. use the cheapest gas you can find, 87,86 or even 85 if your in the mid west, our compression is low and the base timing is a total joke, 8ish degrees... anyone running 88 or greater in their A3 is blowing money down the drain.

2. oil change every 2K with cheap 10-30 GTX

3. stock muffler makes good power and flows just fine

4. my front bumper is way gone already....

120 miles

I have been doing 60 miles one way since june of this year. It is fine cruiser, lack of armrest really catches up with you. I do 60 miles in an hour, going from CT to NJ. As you can imagine I hit a few traffic spots, so the shifter is not in 5th all the time. And whatever time i lost in traffic i make up by going a little bit faster (80-85) than speed limit (65). Gas mileage is ok, i just changed the air filter and the mileage seemed to improve 25%.

ephatch member

Re: 120 miles

Originally posted by blueiedgod
    I have been doing 60 miles one way since june of this year. It is fine cruiser, lack of armrest really catches up with you. I do 60 miles in an hour, going from CT to NJ. As you can imagine I hit a few traffic spots, so the shifter is not in 5th all the time. And whatever time i lost in traffic i make up by going a little bit faster (80-85) than speed limit (65). Gas mileage is ok, i just changed the air filter and the mileage seemed to improve 25%.
    they do sell an armrest for the ep. if my memory serves correct though it was like over 100 bucks

I almost drive that amount daily. Not being able to drive for the next few months is the only good thing (saves miles). 24000 miles and counting.

I drive approx. 52 miles a day (work) and I get about 31 mpg and that's with ZERO mods. You shouldn't have a problem, I got mine in July of 2002 and been driving the same route 5-6 days a week. So far I've put almost 24,000 miles on the odometer.

ever since i got the midpipe i did notice better gas mileage on long trips... i've been making long trips to see my gf at school. before i was lucky to get 220-240 miles to a full tank. same kinda driving but i usually get anywhere from 260-320 miles to a full tank.

Thanks for all the great replies. I probably won't be changing the exhaust any. $500-700 doesn

Thread Information