Close

ephatch member

who uses a pressure washer to wash their car?

Just wondering who usese a pressure washer to wash their car? Is it effective? Please share your experiences and info. Considering to getting one. Also which brands are good?

ummm i dont know where you would be able to buy one at but i do use a presureizer, i work at a honda dealership and they have filtered water and pressureized guns.

i dont know if useing a pressureized gun with filtered water, could be different with regular tap water??? any ways i think the pressureized gun washes the soap off faster and sprays bird crap or bug guts off the car better than water commin from a hose.

I say it would be a good investment, it'll make washing your car easier and funner!

I avoid using pressure washers. It strips your wax.

pressure washer

do not use a pressure washer to wash your car.... if you have a knick or chip it will make it grow ALOT

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar

Don't use em!

The high pressure of water pushes the dirt along the surface of your car, creating many fine scratches.

Take the time and do a nice gentle hand wash.

Pressure washers should be used for vinyl siding, not cars!

ephatch member
    I see thanks for the heads up.

yea, my aunt asked me to wash her altima with a pressure washer, man that thing seriosuly sucked compared to some good ol elbow grease. Also, why would you want to subject your car to that kind of abuse? just caress your car and have fun doing it. I have memorized the natural curves of the ep. Only if i could say the same for ANY girl. Ever...oh well.
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

i for one highly reccomend a pressure washer. just dont turn it on a thin jet or say goodbye to your paint. a pressure washer uses less water, makes the process quicker and i think does a better job. just put it on its widest setting to rinse the whole car down (maybe mix a little soap for a pre soak) use a regular sponge or brush to wash, and the pressure washer to rinse.

-Tom

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    I use the "rain" setting on my nozzle - very gentle but wide enough to clear the soap off :)

i use a spray gun that has adjustable pressure setting as well as adjustable spray setting. I use semi high pressure but as a spray never a stream

As long as you use one of the lower-pressure nozzles and keep the tip 8"-12" from the car, you should be fine.

2k2SiAutoXer's system sounds pretty good. use the pressure to soak and rinse, and use a normal car wash and mitt to wash the car.

The pressure alone shouldn't strip your wax. It's usually the harsh chemicals at most DIY places that strip the wax. If that happens, just wax it more often.

It can really be helpful for getting crap off of your undercarraige too.

As for brands, looks for ones with Honda engines. My parents got one from Home Depot or Lowes that is really nice. It's not made by Honda, but the engine is by Honda.

Originally posted by SmoothOperator
    I avoid using pressure washers. It strips your wax.
    and eventually your clearcoat...

-Mike

I use pressure washer.

hi pressure

I also use hi pressure to wash my car and every other car I have ever owned, including a few with chipped paint, and have never experienced a problem due to hi pressure.

Thread Information