DIY: Aluminum Shifter Bushings

Here is my DIY on the installion

Bought kit from CapYoda

Tools Needed:
    Long Rachet
    Short Rachet
    Long Socket Extension
    12mm Socket

1. Before doing anything, play around with your shifter and shift it into gears a few times so you'll have a before and after installion feel.

2. Unscrew the shift knob and pull the shift boot cover off. BE CAREFUL when removing the cover, you're not in a hurry. Take your time and don't damage the cover. Put a few fingers inside the shift boot and hold the sides and pull, the lower cover will pop out. Run your fingers on the side and proceed upwards to remove the cover.

3. Remove the 4 bolts that are holding up a gold metal plate. You'll need a 12mm socket to do so. You'll have to remove all 4 bolts before removing the bushings. Also remove the black tube that is holding up by a silver metal plate. That'll give you more room to work with.

4. After removing all four bolts then you start to remove the stock bushings. Push down on the middle of the bushing and the metal center will start to slide out. BE CAREFUL and not let any part of the bushings fall into the console. To remove the rubber part of the bushing, you'll have to push down in an angle and that will slide out.

5. Once all 4 metal/rubber bushings are out, you're ready to do install you Aluminum Shifter Bushings. Place one bushing onto the bolt with the raised edge facing down/leveled edge facing up. Then place one bushing underneath the gold metal plate with the bushing's raised edge facing up/leveled edge facing down. Hand tighten ENOUGH to only have the bolt stay in place. If you tighten it to much, you won't have room to work with. Repeat for the other 3 bolts. If you dropped any of the bushings into the console, recover it from the location in the pic below.

6. ALRIGHT, you're almost done. Tighten all 4 bolts to spec (Honda spec: 16 lbs.-ft). Put back the black tube into the silver metal plate. Give the shifter a few good shake/shift/etc and see if the gold metal plate moves. Double check your work and see if everything is in place where it should be. Connect back the hazard light plug and put back the shift boot cover/shift knob in place.

7. Now give the shifter a few shift. HOW DOES IT FEEL? Personally, it felt tighter when shifting into gear. Not a big of a difference from stock. Well spent $16 bucks.
    Last edited by raiyo; 02-18-2004 at 11:33 PM.

ahHHHH. i did my install and it was SOOO Hard. hahaha. i didn't take out the black tube which made it very hard to do the top right one hahaha.. that's a nice DIY raiyo. thumbs up for u!

ok thats great DIY. props to you.
    people werent sure about how to put those bushings in right way.i installed bushings as well. excellent mod for $16.
    to purchase bushings
    http://home.socal.rr.com/capyoda/civic.htm

some installation pictures
    capyoda's bushings

dash apart

stock bushings are out..

new bushings installed

:_bow:
    i had to take out whole dash and e brake console. since i could not find damn bushing that i dropped. i dont care. easy to take apart anyway:D
    Last edited by Civicvtec1ps; 11-02-2003 at 07:22 PM.

Just installed them myself. I paid $11 shipped through a group buy here on EPHatch. The same weekend I also did the sun-roof safety thing. Now it closes nice and easy. For all your DIY projects consult the Technical link on www.k-series.com. Your pic of the bushings on the screw might be a good idea to include in their DIY. Might wanna email it to them.

I got mine off ebay $11.00 shiped. Its a cool cheap mod that anyone can do. I did it on a cold ass day in my garage. this DIY is better than the RSX instructions that they came with. thanks.

Originally posted by blackout
    I got mine off ebay $11.00 shiped. Its a cool cheap mod that anyone can do. I did it on a cold ass day in my garage. this DIY is better than the RSX instructions that they came with. thanks.
    of course this DIY is better. Wanna know why? This DIY is off the HATCH and not some RSX crap, heheh. Glad you like the DIY.

are there more group buys that I just cant find? comptech Ice boxs for all maybe?

Tighten all 4 bolts to spec (Honda spec: 16 lbs.-ft).
    Can someone please tell me how to do this? Do you need a special tool to tighten the bolts?

thanks and pardon the newbiness.. :smilem:

Originally posted by tom3
    Can someone please tell me how to do this? Do you need a special tool to tighten the bolts?

thanks and pardon the newbiness.. :smilem:
    go to sears and buy torque wrench.

i didn't use a torque wrench. i just tightened them down tight. i should be cool right? anyway the install was pretty annoying. there isn't much room to work with and my hands are still bleeding. you have to be very careful not to drop anything. it took me about an hour to do everything. i like it.:D the rubber bushings are NEVER going back. if it was hard getting these aluminum things in i can only imagine how hard it would be to get the rubber ones back on. :D and thanks for the write up, it totally helped.!

opinions? how much of a difference do you feel?

to me.. the diff is so minimal.. the install is too much of a hassle, not worth it IMO. also, u dont need a torque wrench. any wrench will do. 16lbs.. u can do that with one finger. and i got alot of bruises and knicks on my hands as well...getting the metal sleeves were a biznitch to get out! and holding the underbushing b/w the two metal plates, while putting the bolt in, wtf! that's so tedious. but its done. took me under an hr..

Originally posted by BlackBullet02Si
    opinions? how much of a difference do you feel?
    The shifter should feel more stable and you should feel each gear engaging more than before
    very nice mod for price. install could be pain in the ass but its okay.

Originally posted by civic hatch boi
    getting the metal sleeves were a biznitch to get out! and holding the underbushing b/w the two metal plates, while putting the bolt in, wtf! that's so tedious. but its done. took me under an hr..
    DUDE! the bottom ones were the worst. especially the bottom right. the top ones had room to work with. i almost broke both my thumbs trying to pop the rubber bushings out of the bottom holes. :D :D :D and getting the aluminum bushings underneath without dropping one, holy fuck. that shit was a pain. like i said, these bushings are in FOR THE LIFE OF THE CAR. hopefully whoever gets the car from me later won't mind. :D

damn.. u guys weren't kidding when u said it's a pain to install. I broke 2 socket extension and a ratchet just trying to loosen the bolts! THey're in so damn tight!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information