Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Civicvtec1ps - how do i take apart my dash??? i lost a fuckin bushing and i cant find the little bastard

dont copy my text, fucker downhil's Avatar
    installed mine. not a very hard install. im kinda wondering how some of you guys manage day to day life?! the 4 bolts were not tight like some other people are complaining about. put the top bushing on the bolt and hold the lower bushing under the plate and skewer the whole thing with your other hand. capyoda's instructions say to put the bushings on the opposite way that raiyo showed. flat sides sandwiching the plate. (dont know why)

it is honestly harder to take off the stock airbox and install a short ram intake. if you had issues with this install please turn in your man card. :D ;)

Talking

well it was kinda a BITCH to get the screws lose... then it was a walk in the park if you have moded your car BY YOUR SELF before... but as for me... one of the screws went bald and had to leave the top left one intact and replace the rest... yeah pain in the ass... hope i see some difference with just three of them in

anyone else trying to do this mod... make sure you have a good socket or take the top console off too!!!! and that annoying metal bar and the black cable

AND most importantly BE REALLY PATIENT AND DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

bloody fingers may occur

bloody fingers ?
    i got bloody knuckles from the metal part above our console.
    and yah some of the nuts were harder to get of than others.

Tips on dropped Bushings

Install was more difficult than I first thought. Bloodied my thumb and knuckles a couple of times trying to loosen the top bolts.

Some tips on how not to drop the bushing (which is VERY easy to drop in the cramped shifter area):

1. Tie dental floss around the bottom bushing (1-1.5 feet in length). The knot should NOT be too tight. Once you have the bottom bushing in place, untie the floss and pull it out slowly. Be sure to apply pressure by pushing down on the bracket while pulling the floss out so that they do not slip down and drop. Now screw the bolt w/top bushing loosely together. Repeat w/the remaining 3 bottom bushings. I ended dropping the bushing 3 times, but the floss held and saved the trouble of step 2:

2. If you do drop the bushing, try popping loose the cigarette lighter cover. There is a little tray sitting right behind this cover, and I found my bottom bushings sitting there waiting for me to rescue them. To pop loose the tray, I just squeezed the sides a little, and pulled out. You can then unhook the lighter harness for easier access.

How does the shifter feel after this install? I thought that aluminum would be too hard of a material. I thought that I should be looking for poly bushings.

No, it's not too hard at all. Everyone will have their own level of satisfaction based on what they expect from these bushings. For me, I thought there's an improved overall feel although just a little. It's worth the little bit of money and trouble, but if you decide not to, you're not missing out too much (again, just my opinion).

I'm sure had I installed a short shift adapter, the feel would be even better. That's next for sure.

Originally posted by ficksated0311I know there are a few post regarding this already but my two cents, so I just got the aluminum shifter bushings in thanks to some help from Civicvtec1ps and for the money spent on them, its well worth it. ...Time for the shame-less plug...If your driveing a Civ without em your missin out. I would definitely drop the $16(usd) on them...seriously its only $16...cheeper than takein your girl out for a night ;)
    Installation was very easy 2nd time.
    Worth $16.

Got mine in in less than 10 minutes....didn't drop a single one. I had some crazy tools for the job though

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Racer
    Got mine in in less than 10 minutes....didn't drop a single one. I had some crazy tools for the job though
    I helped with these bushings again last night, didn't drop anything either... Third time I've done this install and I still don't see why its soooo hard for some people... Its easy if you use all 5 fingers on each hand. ;)

So Greg, what other goodies did you get that you havnt told us about? :D

Thats cool Tai and I did some installs too, but its on a secret car...

Well, I finally got it done...doing the bushings wasnt hard it was tearing apart the dash that was...I also did my deck while i had the darn thing torn apart...as for the difference...its just a lil bit more smooth and the play isnt there as much...nice nice mod for 15$

Thumbs down

just got done and took it for a ride, all i can say is .... dam i lost 16 bucks
    thumbs down from me, dint feel any difrence instal was a pain

Just installed my bushings. I noticed a difference on the 1st to 2nd powershift. It used to make this weird noise, almost like a loud whine - the whine is gone now. Good for me LOL.

I do have one suggestion which helped me out, and hope it helps everyone else. To hold the bottom bushings in place, I snuck the bushing in slowly and while doing that I took a flat head screw driver, and held it in place long enough for me to take the other bushing and bolt and put it through the bottom bushing and then thread it. A lot easier than trying to force my two hands into the console.

Total install time - 20 minutes.

Thanks for the write up, Raiyo!!

Dan

Installed mine with no problems. Didn't loose any. All went together rather easy. I do have a question thou...
    Do the bushing, the rasied part, is that width suppose to match the hole diameter on the gold plate? Mine were smaller. Just curious, I know the bolt holds it all in place. It just seems that things would be more snug if that raised bit was the same diameter.

Update about whine - my buddy said when he hears me come down the street, quick like, from first to second - he says it sounds like I pull it out of gear before the clutch disengages...I keep forgetting I'm not in a mustang any more. LOL. I just have to remember it takes a little longer for the honda to engage those gears. LOL

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information