Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Can these be used with the buddy club SS?

Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    Can these be used with the buddy club SS?
    i dont see why you wouldent be able to

Über Geek
    This was my very first mod to my car.

i cant see the pictures i think they need to be rehosted

Quote Originally Posted by SIck03 View Post
    i cant see the pictures i think they need to be rehosted
    or try this
    http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=563696

Just got done with my install, a couple of notes:

1:Shifter Base bushings; the bottom right, on my car at least, was the biggest PITA. Had to carve the upper lip of the old rubber bushing off with a knife and some pliers just to get enough clearance to push the metal cylinder/bushing out. Ugh. Finally got it, horray!

2:Shifter Cable bushings; if you're still rockin the stock airbox, like me, that sucker is coming the fuck out, so be prepared for that. I had a feeling, and sure enough, no way to get to the big bushing w/o bringing out the airbox, and the intake hose that runs from the grill/radiator to the airbox.
    Also, getting the new CorSport bushings on to the connection post that comes from the tranny is a friggin nightmare. The shifter cables, obviously, are really stiff, and therefore don't bend enough to allow you to angle the new bushing straight on to the post. I had to whack those puppies on there with a mallet...scary! All's well though, that polyurethane (or whatever the hell they're made of) is tough shit!
    Finally, the write up for the cable bushings on CorSport's site mentions not re-using the old washers, but on the vertically oriented (smaller) cable, I did re-use the white plastic washer...without it, there was still about 1/16" of clearance, and the whole connection had that room to slide back and forth...to me, that defeats the purpose of this mod, so on went the plastic washer, and now everything's nice and tight.

Now for the test drive.

Update:
    Just test drove with new Shifter Base/Cable bushing, and FTMFW!!!
    Seriously, I was pretty surprised by how solid the shifts now feel, as compared to before. Completely tight, through every gear.
    Definitely worth the time and effort, IMHO.
    Last edited by BeaterEP; 08-09-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Test Drive Results

if you snake a wire through the factory bushings and hold both ends before trying to remove them, you don't have to be so careful about dropping them.

Any way we could get the photos put back up in the original post?

i was wondering? just change my shifter base bushings and they fell better but once in gear there's still some give. would the shifter cable bushing get rid of that or is this the best there gonna feel?
    Last edited by tqk; 12-21-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    [QUOTE=tqk;828353]i was wondering? just change my shifter base bushings and they fell better but once in gear there's still some give. would the shifter cable bushing get rid of that or is this the best there gonna feel?[/

i'm curious about this too. i'm gettin the bushings for christmas though so i'll let you know how it feels afterwards

There's still a tiny bit of wobble when you're in gear, no matter how many bushing you throw at it

I, personally, have never driven a car that didn't have some play in the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Just got done with my install, a couple of notes:

1:Shifter Base bushings; the bottom right, on my car at least, was the biggest PITA. Had to carve the upper lip of the old rubber bushing off with a knife and some pliers just to get enough clearance to push the metal cylinder/bushing out. Ugh. Finally got it, horray!

2:Shifter Cable bushings; if you're still rockin the stock airbox, like me, that sucker is coming the fuck out, so be prepared for that. I had a feeling, and sure enough, no way to get to the big bushing w/o bringing out the airbox, and the intake hose that runs from the grill/radiator to the airbox.
    Also, getting the new CorSport bushings on to the connection post that comes from the tranny is a friggin nightmare. The shifter cables, obviously, are really stiff, and therefore don't bend enough to allow you to angle the new bushing straight on to the post. I had to whack those puppies on there with a mallet...scary! All's well though, that polyurethane (or whatever the hell they're made of) is tough shit!
    Finally, the write up for the cable bushings on CorSport's site mentions not re-using the old washers, but on the vertically oriented (smaller) cable, I did re-use the white plastic washer...without it, there was still about 1/16" of clearance, and the whole connection had that room to slide back and forth...to me, that defeats the purpose of this mod, so on went the plastic washer, and now everything's nice and tight.

Now for the test drive.

Update:
    Just test drove with new Shifter Base/Cable bushing, and FTMFW!!!
    Seriously, I was pretty surprised by how solid the shifts now feel, as compared to before. Completely tight, through every gear.
    Definitely worth the time and effort, IMHO.
    thats funny i had the SAME fuckin problems. the bottom right bushing coming out. and i havd to pull out my airbox to. and still had play so i used the white spacer as well. i also used to have a problem when i shifted hard. occasionally i would miss 3rd gear. but ive had no problems since the bushing install.
    Last edited by 27rocks; 12-11-2008 at 01:49 AM.

I've had the shifter cable bushings in since I installed the 6 speed and it was a nice upgrade as mine looked visually worn out.

I just put the base bushings i've had in a drawer in yesterday and it made a world of difference. I have the BCSS and the trick to getting the old shit out is to use a flathead to push out the plastic surround from the metal plug looking things and use needle nose pliers to pull out the metal. VERY SIMPLE. Then from there just force the plastic off from one side to the other with the flat head screwdriver. I didn't even take the entire shifter out. Just did it while it was in the dash and was VERY CAREFUL not to drop the new metal bushings down into the blackhole of a dash.

These bushings are awesome! I wonder why you guys had trouble installing them or removing the old one. Here is what I did and I think it's the easiest way.

Shifter Base Bushing
    1- Remove the hold rubber bushing by doing this:
    A- With a longnose grab the center "O" ring with one side of the grip between the rubber and the ring and the other in the middle of the "O" and just pull it out
    B- With the same longnose, grab one side of the rubber bushing with one side of the grip between the rubber and the metal casing of the shifter and put the other side in the middle of the bushing. Then Squeeze it, turn it (force turn it) and pull it of = Easiest way

2- To install the new bushing without losing a piece, just sqeeze some scott towel under the shifter bracket all around where you'll put the bushing and just let it drop there, then put the top one and screw it a little to hold it in place. Repeat for the 4 of them.

Tranny Bushing
    1- Well get yourself a knife/cutter/exacto with an OLFA Blade or whatever that can cut rubber like butter and have fun destroying the rubber bushing. It's not like you'll put it back there anyway ;)
    2- When putting the new one in, put it in first then put the cable "lock" in (or vice versa, don't remember but there is a way to make it fit like butter)

Just had to share...

Yup. Easiest way to go with the base bushings

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information