Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goldline Springs CUT

I bought some goldline springs. They were nice but I wanted to go a little bit lower. I cut 1 coil off the front, and 2 coils in the rear. The front is a little stiff, but the rear still rides great. So if you want to go lower but can afford adjustables, do this. it makes the car look about 10 times better. later

Bad, bad, bad idea. If you really want cheap springs, go with Teins
    (or even better, Progress, hondawerx had them for $140 or so) or if
    you want an extreme drop, try Neuspeed.

By cutting the springs, you change their spring rates and it's just
    not a good idea. Hope you stay safe on the road out there with those
    things on your car...

dont expect your shocks to last 1/3 the time they normally would.

ephatch member
    ricers...

haha whats a modorator? estebones's Avatar
    that didnt sound like a smart thing to do :shockm:

ouch! bad idea

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    hmm, not only is cutting your springs a horrible idea, why did you cut your aftermarket springs? If you wanted a slammed car, and you were just going to hack the springs up, why not save some money and hack up your stockies?

WTF

WTF

Sell your car dude. Very unsafe.

hahaha i can't believe people still do this... but anyway... good luck and be safe... who knows how well those springs are gonna hold up... i'd put the stockies back asap.. i've heard too many horror stories... :p

Cutting springs isn't always bad. You could probably get away with cutting the OEM springs 1 or 1.5 coils. In fact, I'd probably do that before I bought aftermarket springs. But, I'm not sure I'd cut aftermarket springs -- they're already pretty short.

Springs are just a flexible bar coiled up. Cutting them shortens the bar, making it more stiff. I've done it many times on older cars that don't have aftermarket springs. It's not ideal, but it's almost always better than OEM, as long as you don't over-do it and it still seats properly.

what???

I dont know who you have talked to but the only horror stories I've heard is that your ride gets little more stiff. I'm not really into the whole race scene, im into show. The lower the better. I could'nt afford adjustables, so I hack away. By the way I only cut not even one coil in the front, and roughflty two in the back. Back still rides great. Im interested to hear what kind of horror stories you've heard. In fact I know a number of people who will cut some coils to get lower. And whats so "BAD, BAD, BAD", about it. Ya know all you hard core racers out there, I've heard alot of horror stories about turbos, supercharger, and NOS. But you guys still do it, and thats really dangerous. Anyways peace to all you who support all ep3 owners. Later

Re: what???

Originally posted by 02silverep3
    I dont know who you have talked to but the only horror stories I've heard is that your ride gets little more stiff. I'm not really into the whole race scene, im into show. The lower the better. I could'nt afford adjustables, so I hack away. By the way I only cut not even one coil in the front, and roughflty two in the back. Back still rides great. Im interested to hear what kind of horror stories you've heard. In fact I know a number of people who will cut some coils to get lower. And whats so "BAD, BAD, BAD", about it. Ya know all you hard core racers out there, I've heard alot of horror stories about turbos, supercharger, and NOS. But you guys still do it, and thats really dangerous. Anyways peace to all you who support all ep3 owners. Later

I'm guessing you haven't seen the video with the Honda Civic changing
    lanes (at maybe 80 or 90) and heading straight into a median/wall.
    There's hardly anything to suggest the car hit ice/something went
    amiss, other than it looks like it's really lowered (i.e. cut springs). I can find it if you want.

Cutting springs is sort of equivalent to installing nitrous, but without any tuning and making it all guesswork. You're venturing into the unknown by cutting the springs and if you do *any* sort of aggressive driving, I really think it's a bad idea. Especially when aftermarket springs (i.e. Neuspeed, 110; Tein, 130) are so cheap.

Someone explain to me how cutting linear springs on stock shocks is any different from getting lowering springs on stock shocks. This is a totally honest question, I want to know. I always thought that the problem was that anytime the shock is forced to operate at a ride height that is lower than what it was designed for, it will blow out much quicker. So if that's the case, what teh difference between lowering springs and a cut springs?

To the original poster, I think the *bad* thing about doing this is that when your shocks blow your car will be sort of unsafe, esp at higher speeds. If you ever see a car bouncing up and down while driving down the road - chances are that it's been lowered without proper shocks.

Banned
    Why is it that all the Silver EP's getted all riced out..lol. Near where i live there are 2 other silver EP's w/ altezza's, cut springs or heated springs, and all these people think its MY car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information