Close

"TB Coolant Bypass"

What the hell is this? there's a member here with it (his name escapes me), and i was browsing Club RSX when I found the fastest N/A Base RSX with mods and he had that too.

Let me know guys, its driving me insane.

bypassing it is okay for summer, but for winter you may not want to.

Background: basically, you'd skip the TB coolant lines w/ this mod. Instead of the coolant going head -> tb -> back of IM, it just goes from the head to the back of the intake manifold. This would in theory lower the throttle body's temperatures and minimize heatsoak to the air charge, thus increasing power. The reason it's there is so the TB doesn't get stuck open in colder temps.

Plus: cooler air = more power, right?

Negatives: very very very minimal gains.

BUT, more importantly, there's the idle stability. On cold starts, for several minutes until the car warms up, the idle fluctuates like mad. If you've ever had your TPS or IACV go bad, where the idle jumps from around 1500 to 3000 RPM, you know how annoying it is. Even on somewhat-warm starts, this will happen. I presume that the closed-loop operation is somehow disrupted.

Thanks! :D Doesn't seem like a mod worth the effort! It was bothering me for a while because I didn't know what it was. Thanks again for the info!

my first car (93 MX3 v6 5sp) had the same symtoms. It would idle wildly and one day the throttle stuck all the way open.

I was basically racing and didnt even have to press the gas. I was just letting the fucking car run to 7K then hit the clutch and shift.....after I got home my parents knew I was fed up with it.

I NEVER want a car that doesnt idle properly again. EVER.

I then named the car Christine.

is there some kind of significance to this christine business?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

haha whats a modorator? estebones's Avatar
    is there some kind of significance to this christine business?
    Im guessing the novel/movie from way back in the days where this old car became possesed and stared killing people...god I feel old!
    this was a movie released a LOOONG time ago and its now cosidered a classic. at least by me! :D

--este

Originally posted by estebones
    Im guessing the novel/movie from way back in the days where this old car became possesed and stared killing people...god I feel old!
    this was a movie released a LOOONG time ago and its now cosidered a classic. at least by me! :D

--este
    LOL, I feel old too!

yall sohuldnt feel old.. i knew what he was talking about!!! (17 y.o.)

i guess im just not hip with it than....:o
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

ludikris
    the idle fluctuation is due to the thermovalve not being blocked. I've bypassed my t/b coolant passages and constructed a new gasket to block the thermovalve (on my Prelude) . It's 30

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ludikris
    [B]the idle fluctuation is due to the thermovalve not being blocked. I've bypassed my t/b coolant passages and constructed a new gasket to block the thermovalve (on my Prelude) . It's 30

ludikris
    I believe that they are refering to the EGR valve, but I'm not familiar enough with the EP Hatch gasket to be sure. It looks very much like the Gen5 gasket that I had, so I do think it's the EGR valve. Additionally, you'll have issues with passing emissions with the EGR valve blocked.
    Last edited by ludikris; 12-02-2003 at 12:48 PM.

Mine is bypassed. I live near Chicago. Car runs fun with zero fluctuation. Normal idle and seems to warm up normally. Drives like a gem once she's warm.

Thread Information