Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Creaking sounds

Angry creaking steering rack

Yet another problem with my 02 Si. This one is the creaking steering rack. The creaking sound only occurs when launching straight ahead or coming to a complete stop. It is rarely heard when the car is in motion or when the wheel is turned left or right. The fix according to the good CTR owners at civictype-r.co.uk is a new steering rack. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Si or SiR? My dealer tried a new left strut assembly, but all that did was screw up the handling and steering balance - a new left strut and 24,000 mile old right strut combo just don't work well together. Once again I turn to ephatch for help.

check the suspension forum... the thread title is>>> ***aftermarket tie rods**** i have the same problem =( our damn tie rods are too long and when u lower ur car they angle and rub each other..something like that''''

ephatch member
    The front end of my car would make creaking sounds when I would slowly drive forward or backup while turning the wheel. The dealer replaced the steering rack.It seemed ok for a while, I suppose. Now the front end makes creaking noises again and some other strange noises. I went back to the dealer and they now said that this is normal.

Now what?
    Last edited by RedLight_Si; 11-30-2003 at 01:14 AM.

Hmm, my car is starting to do this too. At first I thought it was my sway bar coming loose and the bar moving around causing the bushings to creak. I check all the bolts and everything was tight.

So the only option we have is to replace the steering rack?

JBS02 is your car riding stock? My car is stock height with 17" wheels, and it does the same thing. I'm going to the dealer on Wedensday to get it fixed(hopefully). I'll let you guy know what they tell me.

I hope its something simple, because this is my only car.

EKON:(

my steering rack is creaking like no other!! i cant stand it. its only when i accel from a dead stop till like the end of 2nd gear.. i took it o honda.. they had it for a day and a half and said it was aftermarket springs.....

Tell them thats bullshit, because I'm on stock springs. Refer them to the thread.
    Last edited by EKON; 12-01-2003 at 05:04 PM.

I have the same prob, I think my creaking is from the tie rod ends....but I don't think having a modified car will do many good at the honda dealer

MOTOR MOUNTS

Seriously, check them. The noise to me best sounds like something breaking in the vicinity of the dashboard. Ecspecially if you hear it while accelerating. I hear creaking noises:

Under acceleration

IF I engine brake (done rarely)

If I go over bumps.

I just noticed today: sometimes the left side creaks, sometimes the right side creaks. Depends where the engine is moving. 3 broken mounts, and this is what you hear.

Just a thought, don't want to hijack a thread.

well i took my car to honda a while back...and my mechanic said it was the bearing in the strut (honda mechanic is really cool guy) and he used a instrument (that doctors use ..stetascope???) he said your tie rods are causing this sound because when u dropped your car it went from this ------ tooo this V ...and its rubbing at the angle...he actually tried ordering me a new steering rack and when the part came in the boss at honda caught him about to install it in my car and he already knew he was busted because my car is lowered and my suspension warrenty is voided so yep i feel bad for him trying to help me out (he no longer works as a mechanic and now works in the service department :( ) he said he got even in deeper shit when they couldnt close the deal (dont know what this meant but i felt bad for him and bought him breakfast...he told me to raise my car back up and the sound will go away...but i dont wanna go through all the trouble raising it back up because when my hub assemble fell out it was a hasssel to get back in 6 whole damn hours so yea im sorta scared now to mess with my suspension..if i am showstoppers is going to do it not that damn garage stuff...well to sum it all back up he spray wd40 where my steering rack meets and the sound went away it comes back from time to time so i just leave a can of wd40 in my car and i spray it whenever i hear it...(big hassel) im saving up for tein basics and raising my car a little or hopefullly someone will make aftermarket tie rods for our car or an adapter to shorten them...

Originally posted by team ERA 5
    well i took my car to honda a while back...and my mechanic said it was the bearing in the strut (honda mechanic is really cool guy) and he used a instrument (that doctors use ..stetascope???) he said your tie rods are causing this sound because when u dropped your car it went from this ------ tooo this V ...and its rubbing at the angle...he actually tried ordering me a new steering rack and when the part came in the boss at honda caught him about to install it in my car and he already knew he was busted because my car is lowered and my suspension warrenty is voided so yep i feel bad for him trying to help me out (he no longer works as a mechanic and now works in the service department :( ) he said he got even in deeper shit when they couldnt close the deal (dont know what this meant but i felt bad for him and bought him breakfast...he told me to raise my car back up and the sound will go away...but i dont wanna go through all the trouble raising it back up because when my hub assemble fell out it was a hasssel to get back in 6 whole damn hours so yea im sorta scared now to mess with my suspension..if i am showstoppers is going to do it not that damn garage stuff...well to sum it all back up he spray wd40 where my steering rack meets and the sound went away it comes back from time to time so i just leave a can of wd40 in my car and i spray it whenever i hear it...(big hassel) im saving up for tein basics and raising my car a little or hopefullly someone will make aftermarket tie rods for our car or an adapter to shorten them...
    I can never get any type of lube in there..this is what you are talking about lubing right?

you some how manage to get some of it in where the bolt goes into the hole of the strut?

ohhh...so thats how its making noise and creaking and stuff...could you bend the little strut part up a little to straighten it out?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

02SilverSiHB

honda didnt lube up the boot nor the hole where the boot sits...honda lubed up the middle part where it dips down...

02SilverSiHB i see that you have access to a digital camera...i was wondering if u could take a picture of the back end of our engines where the header is and ill show u what they sprayed wd40 on...thanks...

Originally posted by team ERA 5
    02SilverSiHB i see that you have access to a digital camera...i was wondering if u could take a picture of the back end of our engines where the header is and ill show u what they sprayed wd40 on...thanks...
    cool, I'll do that when I get home for lunch today.

So they didn't spray the bolts to the struts but something else...hhhmmmm

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information