Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Creaking sounds

Okay, hope these pics help you explain what you are trying to say, I think I know now what is you're saying. I take it they pulled those rubber things back and sprayed the lube in them?

Also, I noticed that the left one (my passenger side) rubber piece is lighter in color as if more worn? Or maybe it's just me, because the driver side (right on in picture) looks dark black. I notice that when I make right hand turns that the sound is more constant and sounds like it comes from the lighter colored one.

Oh and pappaljf, my motor mounts are fine and the sound I get happens even at a dead stop with the motor shut off.

I still think it's my tie rod ends that go to the strut. I tried spraying grease and at the center area, and nothing worked. I opened the windows so I could reach in from outside and turn the wheel, the sound is definitely coming from the passenger side strut where the tie rod goes in, so I guess my problem is different. It never makes the sound except when I turn the wheel to the right for right hand turns

they lubed that part.....when it come back i just spray a grip on that section

they lubed that part.....when it come back i just spray a grip on that section

kreeking

my 2 cents. My car used to kreek after lowering it 2.5 in. didnt think much about it because everyone said it would. they said it had something to do with the upper strut mount. well after buying the KW struts and upper mount is stopped (lowered 2.75 in.). and its not just the Si, my wife has an Element that is stock ride hight and it dose it all the time. unfortunetly the KW upper mount wont fit OEM struts

Re: kreeking

Originally posted by silver02
    my 2 cents. My car used to kreek after lowering it 2.5 in. didnt think much about it because everyone said it would. they said it had something to do with the upper strut mount. well after buying the KW struts and upper mount is stopped (lowered 2.75 in.). and its not just the Si, my wife has an Element that is stock ride hight and it dose it all the time. unfortunetly the KW upper mount wont fit OEM struts
    well,mine isn't the upper mounts nore that area team era showed. I think I'm going to get my digi vid cam and have someone turn the wheel while I tape it so you guys can hear and see where I'm saying it's coming from. The sound is definitely from my passenger side tie rod end...my friend agrees also.

okay, here's a vid, tell me if this is the same sound you guys get. And I know it's coming from the tie rod end at the passenger side. If I put the camera on the other side to listen, like the driver side, it sounds like the sound is away from the camera, try it in the center at the middle of the steering rack and the same thing...it's on my passenger side as I took the vid:
    Right click save target as
    by the way, car/rims are dirty as shit, I know :D
    Last edited by 02SilverSiHB; 12-02-2003 at 04:17 PM.

yeap! that's the same sound i get.... mostly after i exit from driving highway.. then when im slow, it makes that sound. i hate it.

Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
    okay, here's a vid, tell me if this is the same sound you guys get. And I know it's coming from the tie rod end at the passenger side. If I put the camera on the other side to listen, like the driver side, it sounds like the sound is away from the camera, try it in the center at the middle of the steering rack and the same thing...it's on my passenger side as I took the vid:
    Damn, that shits loud .... I had it too... worse in rain then dry days --- anyway, after installing the mugen suspension, the sounds have almost entirely stopped. Its definitely not strut bearings...

What format is the file in? Winamp won't play it, Windows Media 9.0 won't play it.

after you d/l it.. just change the .mps to .mpg.. and it'll work on ur media player :)

Originally posted by sleepin02si
    What format is the file in? Winamp won't play it, Windows Media 9.0 won't play it.
    It's mpeg II format. better than mpeg I, gives better resolution imo. My windows media player plays it, I have the most up to date on. When I right click on the mpeg itself and choose properties, it says mpe file. so either try playing it with something else or renaming it to mpeg and see if that works.

trk, you're right...I found that it's the strut itself making this sound. Kind of weird, but, it's definitely the strut. Now I have koni inserts, so that could be why. I took the tie rod end out of the strut and it still made the sound, I was so pissed. I also noticed that my tie rod end boot was torn, not too bad, but a little. When I saw that I thought for sure I found the problem.

So with the tie rod out of the strut, I moved the strut around and it still made the noise while I had the car jacked up and moved it real hard back and forth...not in the motion to turn the wheel, but back and forth while I stood to the side of the car facing the wheel well. I pushed in and out and it made that sound. So I put my hand on certain areas of the strut hoping to find where it was coming from and the sound came strongly from the perch area. The spring wasn't moving around, so it wasn't the spring. I knew what it was, but didn't want to admit it :D

So I put my hand on the piston of the koni and I could feel it again while moving the strut. So I fucked around with it and I really do believe it's the koni insert scratching inside the stock strut. Not sure why this side and not the other, could just be stress from autocrossing and the koni insert being stressed to a point it presses agains the inside and makes this sound. I made sure the koni insert wasn't tightened down real well to insure it wasn't just loose. So that's it, nothing mechanically wrong, just happens to be the koni insert. As for those that may get the same sound, but on stock struts, it could very well be something entirely different, just sounds the same.
    Oh well I guess....wish I hadn't bought these damn konis now. I'm going to email them about this, but I don't think they will help me on this issue.

It's mpeg II format. better than mpeg I, gives better resolution imo. My windows media player plays it, I have the most up to date on. When I right click on the mpeg itself and choose properties, it says mpe file. so either try playing it with something else or renaming it to mpeg and see if that works.
    That didn't work. It came in as .mpg. Changed it to .mpeg, didn't work. I just dl'd wmp 9.0 yesterday, as well as the codecs, from microsoft. I don't get it.:( :(

Originally posted by sleepin02si
    That didn't work. It came in as .mpg. Changed it to .mpeg, didn't work. I just dl'd wmp 9.0 yesterday, as well as the codecs, from microsoft. I don't get it.:( :(
    that is weird, so you right clicked save target as correct? when you do that, what does it want to save it as?

fa669883.mpeg

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information