Close

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Creaking sounds

Originally posted by sleepin02si
    fa669883.mpeg
    strange that it won't play. I just tested it out and it works for me. I get the same file name, but as for the save as type, it's movie clip...which would mean mpeg to me...same for you? if you want, pm me your email and I'll send it to you in avi format.

02SilverSiHB you have PM

Originally posted by sleepin02si
    02SilverSiHB you have PM
    got it :D

Very VERYYYYYYYYYY imformative post, thanks a lot. I will go check this in the morning when I'm not lazy. :D

i have the same problem here also my car has about 26k miles should i take it to the dealer even if my car is lowered? what can we do to fix it? everytime i drive i feel like im about to break something

Originally posted by Makross
    i have the same problem here also my car has about 26k miles should i take it to the dealer even if my car is lowered? what can we do to fix it? everytime i drive i feel like im about to break something
    you can try, but I bet theyll just tell you to suck it up since you have your car lowered. I do think though that if the tie rods are brought back to stock, parrallel with the ground, then the sound will go away. Like I said, I didn't get the sound while turning the wheel when the car was jacked up, only when it pushed and pulled on it. I think it's just that when we lower the car, it's added stress on this part of the strut from our cars being lowered and not having the tie rods aligned correctly. Also those that have gone with full coilovers may eventually get this problem, maybe, if what I'm thinking is correct, the only reason they don't have the problem now is because the coilovers they bought are still new

I just got off the phone with the Honda Service Guy and he said that Techline would not let him continue working on my car if its not in stock form. He did say that Honda has been getting question about this problem and is looking into it, but hasn't found the fix yet. So he suggested that I wait about 3-4k miles and then check back with him at that time. He also said that when I take it in next time to take my upper front strut bar, lower front tie bar and 17" wheels off the car, so we don't have any problems with Techline. He also says that it is most likely not caused by any of these mods.

Hope this helps.

EKON:(

I've been emailing koni back and forth. They are telling me to measure the diameter of my stock strut housing to make sure it's 50mm...which I just checked and it is...because they make different inserts now for the 2002+ Civics. Supposedly Honda has been replacing stock struts due to some creaking sounds...get this...they've been replacing them with 55mm struts. No idea how the hell that helps the creaking sound for people that had 50mm struts. So the koni guy said that when people order koni inserts from them, to measure both sides...because some times people will get 50mm on one side and 55mm on the other. Freaking crazy. I'd be one pissed mofo if I found that out while trying to install them.

Hi all,

I started getting this creaking noise today and my car is NOT lowered at all. What do I do now, I hate going to the dealer...

FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    My honda tech told me this whole issue is due to a 1mm variance in the strut assembly's mounting position (a defect). Stock cars will have this problem too, but it's louder, more frequent and occours younger in life on a lowered car. At stock ride hight, it is just an annoyance, and honda is not doing anything to fix it. Lowered, it may cause rubbing issues that can lead to damage to the strut steering arm, the tie rod ends and the tie/steering rod. Basically the issue is the steering arm on the strut assembly is at too much of an angle to the tie rod and squeaks when turning the wheel. Lowering the car only steepens the angle.

I have the problem too and mine's BAD. Of course you would expect that with neuspeed race springs....

Eric

Originally posted by SBC31
    Hi all,

I started getting this creaking noise today and my car is NOT lowered at all. What do I do now, I hate going to the dealer...
    you may as well go to the dealer...this way, at least Honda will have a record of how many this is affecting

Creaking sound when accellerating. NEED HELP

I get this creaking sound when I accellerate from a stop. It sounds like it's coming from behind the dash area on the driver side. I hear it only when moving from a start at low rpms. If I start off at around 3000 rpm there is no sound. But around 1500 rpm I'll hear it. Since we have snow now, i find that i'll always hear the sound when the front tires slip when starting to move in the first gear.

Some threads say it's broken motor mounts. Can anyone post a picture of where I can visually check if this is the case?

The problem you describe is similar to mine. However, in my case it is not the motor mounts. See my most recent thread in this section. After two attempts, the dealership has not been able to correct the problem. Honda America are now involved, and I will be contacted in 3-5 days with a response. In the meantime, I have done research on my own, and have discovered that CTR owners are having the same problem. It seems that the problem lies in the steering rack, and in many cases Honda UK is ordering a steering rack replacement. BTW, my Si is not lowered. If yours is, you may want to put your OEM springs back on to avoid any warranty issues.

Originally posted by SBC31
    Hi all,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have the steering creak, and my car is also not lowered. Some Civic Type-R owners are also having this problem, and supposedly Honda UK has a technical service bulletin out for it. The fix in many cases is a new steering rack. Again, the symptoms are: creaking upon take-off or braking, but no creaks when car is cold. Once the engine compartment warms up, the creaking becomes louder and longer in duration and can often be heard anytime that I accelerate or brake. These symptoms are identical to those of the CTR owners. Correct me if I am wrong, but the '02-'03 Si and CTR have the same steering rack. I have contacted Honda America and will get a response in 3-5 days. I believe this problem is not "normal" and hope there is a fix because my car sounds like shit now. 24K miles on the odometer.

Redlight,
    Yes, it happens when I let out the clutch, and take off. If I launch very slowly when the car is cold (near freezing air temps), it may not make the noise. When the engine compartment is warm, it creaks every time. Sounds like a coffin opening in a scary movie. Yes, I can often feel it through the steering. I might add that many of the same CTR owners are also having their front struts replaced for noises. I'm starting to wonder if there is a design flaw with the '02-'03 Sis. Note that the '04 Si has a revised steering system. You are right on about doing your own trouble shooting.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information