Close

--= DReaMS oF JRSC =-- KingGreg86's Avatar

increased boost on JR super

Is it possible to increase the boost on the JR super charger?
    and if so what mods to the engine internals would i have to make to make it safe?

I think you have to buy a different pulley to boost the ...uh boost...on superchargers. Bigger pulley=spinning faster=more boost. Of course I could always be way off. Anybody else know for sure?

EDIT:ignore this post and read down one for the right answer
    Last edited by danoonez; 12-10-2003 at 12:01 AM.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    a bigger crank pulley, or a smaller s/c pulley will increase the compressor speed. I would think that any pulley off an eaton s/c will work and there are lots of eaton equipped vehicles out there. for example the xterra and frontier have the same engine/supercharger but the xterra top pulley is a 2 psi increase for the frontier (slightly smaller). a little investigation of diameters seems in order. Benz, pontiac, I think jaguar, nissan, ford, all use some eatons.

a smaller s/c pulley will increase the compressor speed
    you sir are absolutely correct, and here's why

v=wr
    where v=linear velocity; w=angular velocity (rotational velocity) and r=radius

v is the speed at which the belts are moving over the pulley so the rotational speed w=v/r. Since v is always the same, as r decreases, w increases, and vice versa. Sorry I didnt stop to think before i made my quick and wrong reply.

Good answer Mr. Oldschoolimport

Yeah I love physics.:p
    Last edited by danoonez; 12-10-2003 at 12:02 AM.

I heard that the crv crank pulley is slightly larger and might be good for about 2lbs of boost max...I'd think you'd be okay with just 2lbs extra...over that, I wouldn't do it, no way to cool down that charger unless you do some crazy modifications

opens the taps
    If you're looking at changing the s/c pulley, you'd need to ensure that it is able to be removed. A buddy with a GTP was looking at reducing the size of the s/c pulley, however, you have to change the whole shaft attahment to the blower as the pulley is "pressed" into place rather than simply bolted on.

Originally posted by Loudpedal
    If you're looking at changing the s/c pulley, you'd need to ensure that it is able to be removed. A buddy with a GTP was looking at reducing the size of the s/c pulley, however, you have to change the whole shaft attahment to the blower as the pulley is "pressed" into place rather than simply bolted on.
    yeap, it's a pain that's for sure.

Thread Information