Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    sigh, which E? :) I am an E also ;-)

Alpine SPX-177A here

-=speck=-

What does he mean "E"?

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    Originally posted by HondaDOHC161822
    What does he mean "E"?
    my name is eric, speck is eric, esmith is eric, and we know another eric...4 of us...Speck is EIII im EII lol

as for the speakers, i am running boston acoustic pro in the front, boston acoustic z in the back :)

Will a 500/1 be goos for a 10w7??? if not what JL amp be suitable for the 10w7??

mmm.. homer simpson lips davidc81's Avatar
    Will a 500/1 be goos for a 10w7??? if not what JL amp be suitable for the 10w7??
    1000/1

personally though, if i was going to spend that kind of money, i would get a phoenix gold elite 12 and a ti1200.1

but if u wanna be like everyone else, the 10w7 and 1000/1 would be a good combo!

Originally posted by davidc81
    1000/1...but if u wanna be like everyone else, the 10w7 and 1000/1 would be a good combo!
    Wrong, the 10w7 is optimized using 500 watts. The 12w7 and 13w7 would be the only w7 series subs that you should be running the 1000/1 amp with.

Originally posted by fsugatorbait
    Wrong, the 10w7 is optimized using 500 watts. The 12w7 and 13w7 would be the only w7 series subs that you should be running the 1000/1 amp with.

That is correct, there is no reason to have that much watts...maybe a multiple chanel amp, but its always a good thing to use 1 amp for your subs only, then use another amp for your other speakers.

as for 'if you want to be like everyone else' thats stupid comment man...its known that JL subs work best with JL amps...a PG amp is not needed for a 10w7

Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
    That is correct, there is no reason to have that much watts...maybe a multiple chanel amp, but its always a good thing to use 1 amp for your subs only, then use another amp for your other speakers.

as for 'if you want to be like everyone else' thats stupid comment man...its known that JL subs work best with JL amps...a PG amp is not needed for a 10w7

a 1000/1 would give the user much more headroom for a 10w7. personally, i like to make sure my subs are getting as much power as possible. the 1000/1 would put the 10w7 just a bit above the "safe zone" and will probably gain 3dbs over the 500/1 (3dbs=twice as loud). if you're worried about blowing your sub, just watch your gains and you'll be alright. that sub will take 1000w without a sweat, i've seen it done many times, since everyone and their grandmother (and a large percentage of members on this site) runs jl subs. whatever happened to originality?

as far as 1 amp for your subs only, many sq compititions have been won with competitors using only 1 amp, usually a 4 or 3 channel. 2 channels for the front and the remaining 2 channels bridged to run a sub. phoenix gold has had a few sq winners using just their 4 channel ti500.4 amp and xtant as well using the 603x.

jl subs working best with jl amps? any amp putting out the recommended power at the proper impedance will work just as good as any jl amp. for compairisons sake, pg's ti1000.2 puts out 1000w from 2-4 ohms bridged, i'll bet money it will sound as good as a 1000/1 on a jl 10w7
    Last edited by davidc81; 01-08-2004 at 09:23 AM.

yeah but i dont think this person is going into competition, sure i could recommend alot of different things as well... not tryin to piss you off, sorry if i did...

I concur with David. You don't need to match the amps. JL is WAY overpriced for what they offer.

and, I had a 10W7 running off 500/1 and then later a DEI 1100d, the sound was MUCH clearer on the 1100d. Just remember Gain does NOT equal a volume knob!! Set it and forget it.

David: Yes, I am the same Speck on sounddomain.

-=speck=-

Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
    yeah but i dont think this person is going into competition, sure i could recommend alot of different things as well... not tryin to piss you off, sorry if i did...
    blacknred, dont worry about it, i cant get pissed off at another eastern pa guy! i just wanted the other members to know that he has many options and doesnt have to just stick with all jl. car audio is all just about opinions anyway, everyone thinks that some product is vastly superior to another, even though there have been no major changes to audio equipment and technology in probably the last 50 years (the move from tube amps to solid state). i bet your 12w3 probably sounds great off of a SONY amp. speck, guessed as much because your avatar is the same on both sites :D

I never once said YOU NEED TO MATCH....alot of people LIKE TO...

::Zips mouth shut, and leaves room:: bye bye

Originally posted by davidc81
    blacknred, dont worry about it, i cant get pissed off at another eastern pa guy! i just wanted the other members to know that he has many options and doesnt have to just stick with all jl. car audio is all just about opinions anyway, everyone thinks that some product is vastly superior to another, even though there have been no major changes to audio equipment and technology in probably the last 50 years (the move from tube amps to solid state). i bet your 12w3 probably sounds great off of a SONY amp. speck, guessed as much because your avatar is the same on both sites :D
    THANKS! :) I LOVE THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM, NO LITTLE JACKOFFS COME IN HERE! :)

BTWAY I HAVE A JL W6V2 :) NOT A 12W3 :):):)

Alright guys, I need some help... I just got back from Cound Blazers on Wiles road (by my house) and I told him what I wanted (Kenwood KDC-x869, JL 10W7 and JL 500/1)... He told me to go with the MTX Thunder 1500 10" and a MTX 1502D... He was going to give me the MTX sub and amp for $1200 but i can get it WAY CHEAPER online... What do you recommend?? JL or MTX??? Whichever one I get I am only goin to have one 10"... THANX

try a phoenix gold ti400.2 and a phoenix gold 10" titanium. you can get both online for around $450 and both are top of the line! for $1100, i would get a phoenix gold ti1000.1 and an elemental design 10a sub. in a ported box with that much power, that sub would probably sound like 2 12's!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information