Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    HondaDOHC161822:

You already have one problem. You have limited yourself to 2 brands, one of which... well... sucks (MTX) in comparision to other brands. JL, again how many times do people have to say it, is overrated pricewise. The JL name got big and bigger and they learned that they could charge whatever they wanted to consumers. Yes, the products are good.. but for the money you spend? No.

You mentioned that you can "get it online for cheaper"; Well then, I challenge you to look up these brands:

RE XXX or HC
    Adire Audio Brahma
    Digital Designs
    Elemental Designs

I can list about 10 more companies that produce products at HALF or less the cost of a low end JL sub. PLUS most of these are HAND BUILT AND TESTED subs!!! You show me a competition SQ or SPL where someone with JL equipment has won against someone with "internet" brand equipment, you can't.

My recommendation:

Sub:
    Adire Audio Baby Brahma (10") $349
    Amp: Tsunami 1800T $350 (Affiliated with Elemental Designs)

With that setup, in a properly built ported and tuned box, I guarantee that that thing will make you ill.

-=speck=-

My recommendation:

Sub:
    Adire Audio Baby Brahma (10") $349
    Amp: Tsunami 1800T $350 (Affiliated with Elemental Designs)

With that setup, in a properly built ported and tuned box, I guarantee that that thing will make you ill.

-=speck=- [/B]

For $1200 you should be almost able to buy your entire system. A pretty nice one at that ;)

I was planing to go with the MTX Thunder 9500 10" ($266 Shipped) and the MTX 1501D Amp ($340 Shipped)... Thats what the guy recommended to me... Are they good, I really never cared for MTX but I have read some good reviews about the 9500... Should I get them??? Are they worth it???

davidc81 recommended the Phoenix Gold Titanium 10" Sub (which I would get 2 of) and the Pkeonix Gold Ti400.2... Is that a good choice... I am looking at them and then sound pretty nice, but i am new at the car audio thing so i dont know to much... sorry for all the questions... i just dont wantt o make a $2000 mistake...

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    Originally posted by HondaDOHC161822
    I was planing to go with the MTX Thunder 9500 10" ($266 Shipped) and the MTX 1501D Amp ($340 Shipped)... Thats what the guy recommended to me... Are they good, I really never cared for MTX but I have read some good reviews about the 9500... Should I get them??? Are they worth it???
    are you looking to do competition? or are you just looking for something that sounds ALOT better then stock stereo?

if you want something that will sound BETTER, go for the MTX they are pretty good...I would recomend them...

if you want something REALLY REALLY nice, thats when you should go with the pheonix gold stuff...it all depends on what flavor you want...

MTX products are GREAT dont get me wrong, but they arent in the same ballpark as PG is...

I am loking for something that sounds GREAT, so if i wanted to do competitions i would do good... so lets say i go with 2 Pheonix Gold Ti10 or Ti10d, whats the difference between them?? And what amp, preferably PG should I get???

MTX is not really something you want to compete with.

The diff between the 10 and the 10d is one is single voice coil and the D is dual.

-=speck=-

Which one do you recommend, and what amp should i use??

mmm.. homer simpson lips davidc81's Avatar

davidc81 says....

i need a little more information before i can make any good recommendations

1. how much money are you looking to spend
    2. what are you looking for out of a system? sound quality or loudness?
    3. what did you want to change around with your current system? do you want a new headunit, door speakers, amps, subs?
    4. are you going to install this stuff yourself?

remember, you can have a whole phoenix gold system, but if you have a shitty install, its going to sound like shit. mtx or jensen for that matter, in a properly designed system will sound better than a complete braxx/focal utopia that was just slapped together. since youre a noob to car audio, what i would recommend is go out to a GOOD local car audio store and see what they can do for you! oh, and dont be a cheapskate when it comes to wiring, most people overlook that aspect of their system, and they loose SQ because of it!

Re: davidc81 says....

Originally posted by davidc81
    i need a little more information before i can make any good recommendations

1. how much money are you looking to spend
    2. what are you looking for out of a system? sound quality or loudness?
    3. what did you want to change around with your current system? do you want a new headunit, door speakers, amps, subs?
    4. are you going to install this stuff yourself?
    My system in cureently stock... When I order my subs and amp I am going to order the Kenwood KDC-X869... Money really isnt a factor... I am looking for GREAT sound quality and I want it to THUMP... I am not going to install it becuz my knowledge is so limited (thats why I am here asking these questions)...

To add to David's comments, which are right on:

By a GOOD audio store, try to avoid the ones that sell only one brand of equipment, or only 2. In the VA area, I am finding more and more that local stores are doing just that. You may need to stop at several places.

-=speck=-

See the only problem wiht going to stores around here is that they OVER CHARGE like hell... I am gettin the Kenwood KDC-X869 for $380 shipped and the guy couldnt come close to the price... So what i want is to buy everything online and then take it to them to install...

That is a good idea, but you need to go to those stores to HEAR the products. :) Just don't mention to them that you aren't going to buy from them, they don't like that.

Trust me, I know about the prices, I needed a new DVD player and paid 2x the amount I should have... I am still beating myself for that one.

-=speck=-

mmm.. homer simpson lips davidc81's Avatar
    my dream system....

headunit: alpine iva-900
    components: phoenix gold titanium 3 way front, titanium 6.5" rear, titanium 6.5" in dash
    subwoofer: phoenix gold elite 12
    amps: 5 phoenix gold ti400.2 for comps (bridged, one amp to each channel ;)), phoenix gold ti1200.1 for sub
    accessories: 1 20 farad phoenix gold powercore, 5 phoenix gold ti 30 band eq, phoenix gold basscube ti, 200 amp alt, all zeropoint wiring.

my current system....

headunit: eclipse 5302
    components: focal 136k, nakamichi coaxials
    subwoofer: infinity 12" (soon to be replaced)
    amps: phoenix gold ti500 and ti600
    accessories: basscube ti, all pg wiring

now if you want something for under 2g's, i would recommend

headunit: alpine cda-7995 ($300 from crutchfield)
    components: 2 sets of phoenix gold tantrum 6.5" (less than $100/pair from sounddomain.com)
    sub: elemental 12a in a ported box ($300 direct from eD)
    amps: phoenix gold tantrum 600.4 ($330 off of SD) and tantrum 500.2 ($270 off of SD)
    acessories: save at least $200 for some good power, speaker, and interconnects wires.
    grand total: about $1500 and you'll be jammin!

Honestly... I dont know what to do, there really arent any places here that I can actually listen to the subs.... Besides Best Buy, Circuit City and Sound Advise.... Shy of going to the Swap Shop:( I think me and my boy are going to go to Sound Advise, talk to them and see what they come up with, then if i like it, i will buy it online and then have them install it... Im really not a fan of being ripped off...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information