Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Type Si-R

Question Installing a shift knob...

Hey, wazzup? I'm kinda new here and wanted to know the best way to remove the shift knob. I've haven't really gotten to do my projects yet and I wouldn't mind someone telling me the easiest way to do this. I know it's just twisting off the shift knob but is it just that or is there a technique without using tools/pliers?

Thanks

TheRoxorcist
    usually just twist it counter clockwise with your hand. no pliers necessary.

Ritteri
    Yeah it unscrews literally.

ephatch member
    yup, i'll 3rd that one.jus unscrew it like any other shift knob ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The shift knob , that silver ring, below the black know, well there are clips holding that know into that silver Ring..

You must stick a small screw driver, flat head (if memory servers,) and release the clip in the front (top) of the knob and bottem pop that clip, ... or are they on the side?

Ok my tecxh advice sucks, but first u msut release that silver o ring from the knob, then twist away,

I installed a pretty phat razo shift knob and used a tool to shave down the inside of the silver o ring to make it slide in perfect, looks phat.

I'll try to post pics.

ephatch member
    yeah post pics

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Originally posted by sniperSI
    The shift knob , that silver ring, below the black know, well there are clips holding that know into that silver Ring..

You must stick a small screw driver, flat head (if memory servers,) and release the clip in the front (top) of the knob and bottem pop that clip, ... or are they on the side?

Ok my tecxh advice sucks, but first u msut release that silver o ring from the knob, then twist away,

I installed a pretty phat razo shift knob and used a tool to shave down the inside of the silver o ring to make it slide in perfect, looks phat.

I'll try to post pics.
    no you don't have to use a damn screw driver....just hold onto the silver thing and turn. It comes right off. you'll break the plastic tabs if you do that.

now it depends on the shift knob you get, but most likey you will have to get a washer that is about 1/4" think to keep the silver tab up to it won't look rediculous. I'll post some pics of mine in a minute. I keep saying I will, nows the time I guess.

pics

Here's a pic of my shift knob. Like I said, to uninstall the stock one...just twist/turn the silver thing (counter clockwise I think, you'll know). It comes right off. Then unscrew the shift knob counter clock wise.

Now if you get an aftermarket shift knob, it most likey won't come with the two plastic clips the stock shift knob comes with. Since it won't come with these, the silver thing will just be dangling under the new shift knob. I had to find a way to get the silver thing to stay higher up on the shifter. So I got this metal washer that was used for my old rear tie bar on my 97 civic. It had an opening just big enough to fit, so it could slide on the shift knob and stop short of going all the way down. It was about 1/4" to 1/2" thick in heighth....therefore keeping the silver thing up high enough so it is flush with my shift knob. Any kind of washer will work...it's really going to be up to what kind of shift knob you have...in relation to the thinkness you will need....unless you can find a better way

Arrow no no no no no

no..all u guyz r makin it more complicated than it actually is... i take my off every DAY...whenever im bored! lolz...(dont ask y... i just do...i do it to my girlfriendz Civic EX too...) what u gotta do iz...

Hold the silver thing right under the actual knob wit ur thumb and ur pointer finger...

Then kinda wiggle it back and forth and the clips should pop out of place... DO NOT....i repeat DO NOT TURN ur shift knob or the silver trim piece at ALL before uncliping the trim piece and moving it out of the way...

Good Luck!!

-Mike

Re: no no no no no

Originally posted by Si4U2NV
    no..all u guyz r makin it more complicated than it actually is... i take my off every DAY...whenever im bored! lolz...(dont ask y... i just do...i do it to my girlfriendz Civic EX too...) what u gotta do iz...

Hold the silver thing right under the actual knob wit ur thumb and ur pointer finger...

Then kinda wiggle it back and forth and the clips should pop out of place... DO NOT....i repeat DO NOT TURN ur shift knob or the silver trim piece at ALL before uncliping the trim piece and moving it out of the way...

Good Luck!!

-Mike
    ? okay, well when I turn it, it come right off. If I turn it back the other way it goes right back on. I can do all day long and it doesn't screw anything up. I'm right and you're wrong :D

whoa chill out..

damn buddy...chill out... just cuz ur way workz too doesnt mean im rong... gettin kinda defensive there huh?!?! im sure therez more than one way to do it... as long as it getz done itz all good...

-Mike

Dur...I was kidding!

damn buddy...chill out... just cuz ur way workz too doesnt mean im rong... gettin kinda defensive there huh?!?! im sure therez more than one way to do it... as long as it getz done itz all good...

-Mike
    I was joking, didn't you see the big smile?

hehe sorriez!

lolz... sorriez...idunno y i took that as vulgar...i thought it was an IM RIGHT AND YOURE RONG GRIN...lolz itz all good...

:D ;) :) :p

Re: hehe sorriez!

lolz... sorriez...idunno y i took that as vulgar...i thought it was an IM RIGHT AND YOURE RONG GRIN...lolz itz all good...

:D ;) :) :p
    :D I think it's just the way I word things :) I should make some kind of saying in my sig so people know I'm kidding, I get this stuff all the time :(
    Oh, I'm right you're wrong :D

hehe

cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information