Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY: USDM Shift Boot to JDM Style

You guys heard it right. Convert your exsisting USDM Shift Boot to JDM Style.

The only difference is from both boots is the chrome ring. When you're using the USDM Shift Boot on an aftermarket shift knob, it looks funny. Do a search, you'll find tons, heheh. As for the JDM Shift Boot, everything just looks better with an aftermarket knob. My solution here is to be the best of both worlds. Save some bucks and have that JDM feel. Not to mention, you could switch back to your OEM Shift Knob on hot days so your knob won't burn your palm.

The price of the fix is "almost" free. I used the OEM Shifter Bushings and did some cutting. For those who changed your OEM Shifter Bushings to Aluminum, it's a free mod. The boot stays up (a pretty tight fit) and won't go down, so no need for a washer to keep the thing up.

How To:
    Cut the top portion of the rubber bushing, leaving the flat end and neck intack. Stick the bushing into the chrome ring, cut side down. You'll have to put some force, it won't go down easy. The bushing won't go in flush. Now take it back out. On the side of the bushing, there will be some crease/cut from the teeth from the chrome ring. Use a knife and notch out some of the bushing in that area. Stick the bushing back in. Repeat till everything is flush.

Check out my DIY "Aluminum Shifter Bushings" post in the "How To" section to find out where the shifter bushings come from.

If anyone got questions, leave me a note here or PM me.

Last edited by raiyo; 06-25-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Thumbs up

Looks good bro thanks for the tip.

wheres the bushing from?

Originally posted by showtymers619
    wheres the bushing from?
    I used the OEM Shifter Bushings and did some cutting. For those who changed your OEM Shifter Bushings to Aluminum, it's a free mod. The boot stays up and won't go down, so no need for a washer to keep the thing up. Check out my "Aluminum Shifter Bushings" in the "How To" section on the whereabout of the bushings.
    Last edited by raiyo; 06-25-2004 at 03:31 PM.

i just unhooked the chrome ring and flipped it upside down. :D

good thing i didnt throw mines away =OP

Mountain bike god
    anything i can do if i still have my stock bushings in? besides buying new bushings.

Originally posted by 2.25CrushBent
    anything i can do if i still have my stock bushings in? besides buying new bushings.
    there are other ways to make the boot stay up, search a bit. It deals with flipping the clip upside down i think

Here you go, building on top of raiyo's idea: click me :D

Originally posted by raiyo
    there are other ways to make the boot stay up, search a bit. It deals with flipping the clip upside down i think

Mountain bike god
    although i'll still need the bushings :'( . heh looks like i'll have to shell out $15 to buy new bushings cause no way in hell am i paying $50 for a shift boot.

Well, to add to this, I just used the bottom part of the attena balls....just cut it off and shove it in there...now my spoon shift knob looks decent with the crome piece on bottom :D

Quote Originally Posted by krazichinaman
    Well, to add to this, I just used the bottom part of the attena balls....just cut it off and shove it in there...now my spoon shift knob looks decent with the crome piece on bottom :D
    pics would be nice.

This can be done by purchasing the Acura Shifter Adapter, which is designed to do just this, cost $6.99. It can be found on http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org then choose RSX, any year, any trim model, go to Accessories-Interior. It is the very first part listed, NO. 204231

EH2 driver at heart!!! 2pointslowEP3's Avatar
    not bad!

Can someone upload some pics? EPHATCH HAULOCAUST SUCKED!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information