Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
    oh yeay, I knew that, I was mainly saying that for the just in case it's too loud type of day

darn...then you could have sold it back to me :D
    Considering how much difference in in-car noise I've lost and how well the custom midpipe works for the cost, I'd consider selling it back to you. It seems kind of silly us shipping it back and forth, but if you're game I'd sell it back to you.

Well man, you never know, sometimes dynos can be flukey. Do you have a 1/4 track near you at all? not sure if you do, that way you could maybe have tested the before an after results with the hondata and all.
    I have no doubt that the 1/4 miles times would be good conpared to stock. That 900 additional rpms helps us from having to shift into 4th. It also helps the 0-60 times since we don't have to shift into 3rd. That is the part I absolutely LOVE about the reflash. I've never been to the strip, so I might have poor to moderate 1/4 mile times.

But that is sad you don't feel much of a difference at part throttle..not that this could really matter that much, but just curious, what octane are you using?
    In California, I'm forced to run 91 octane. Not much else is readily available where I live.

Originally posted by Quicksilver
    Considering how much difference in in-car noise I've lost and how well the custom midpipe works for the cost, I'd consider selling it back to you. It seems kind of silly us shipping it back and forth, but if you're game I'd sell it back to you.
    you got a pm

Originally posted by Dunrick
    There is just no way hondata is making you lose that much power. Just doesn't make sense. 17" rims, even though 1 lb. lighter, are still slower than the stock 15" - 2" in size is a big difference, its probably about 6 lb's in wheel weight. Its post like this I hate, because it makes me want to get an a2, but at the same time, they are needed and good posts. I wish ya good luck. Sucks that you should have to pay for all those dynos. Ephatch.com should pitch in for ya.

Seriously, try another dyno place. Thats all I can think of. It just doesn't seem right that hondata is robbing you of 10 whp.
    After shooting e-mails back and forth with Doug and various people's input on this thread, I'm willing to say that I too do not believe that it's the reflash that's showing the poor results. I'm willing to chalk it up to either 1) a lemon of an engine 2) people thrashed it for the 25 miles before I bought it or 3) it's the rotational mass issue.

After talking to a few performance mechanics, I would consider a swap too. The Type-S head is supposed to be a really well designed unit. But I'd probably go with a 2.4l block with A2 head. If I had the gumption and the knowledge, I'd seriously consider it. But with other car platforms out there that have better stock results and greater NA growth room, I'd just as soon get a new car with a full warranty to fall back on if there are problems.

Don't sweat the cost of the dyno. $40 for three runs is a great price, and the owner's got me covered for my next runs for free. I'm just trying to help continue the research that people like Myeverlovinsir and JSIR were doing when I first got here. It's people like them that should be thanked and rewarded for all their hard work, numerous dyno expenses, and dedication to the platform. Those guys are hard core compared to me. I'm more of an enthusiast.

Awww thanks!:blushm: :blushm: :m:

ephatch member

Dyno testing

If you are really looking for a good scientific test on any dyno, you really need to change the exhaust and run it the same day. Air corrections do not take all of the variables out of the equation.

The problem that you were seeing in your opening statement is that the differences in the dynos is not a percentage. We have an AWD Mustang dyno and I will never tell anyone that the power on a Dynojet will "always" be higher as stated on many boards. You were running on a Dyno Dynamics which also is different than the other dynos. To really get a true indication, you need to run on the same dyno and preferably on the same day.

I just dyno'd our 03 Si and we are ready to start doing some testing. I will try and post our baseline on friday.

I am looking for suggestions for what people would like to see for products on this car, I am thinking that they need cams.

Thanks,

Cool Solution!!!

Buy a Murcielago man!!!:D

I would like to see what a Hondata Gasket and a Ice Box can do all by them selves. It seems everyone had anouther mod done to the car when they install these parts.

The heatshield is worth the maximum of 5hp if anything at all, this part is subject to heat soak only at a reduced rate. The Ice box is less than a CAI in all respects, only saving grace is its ability to hide from the Cold Air, and water hazardous minds.

HNY
    I would like to see what a Hondata Gasket and a Ice Box can do all by them selves.

If I read your initial post corectly, your first dyno was done at a different place than with the hondata and exhaust. If this is true, that is where the problem is. Ive been at many different dyno shops and none are exactly the same. As long as they are the same brand, they will be close, but there will always be differences. Thats why you should stay with the same dyno shop to get accurate baseline and improvement numbers.

Modacar

A bit off topic, but: I work like a block away from Modacar. I saw a silver ep3 in their shop a little while ago. Have they done work on your car as well?

Re: Modacar

Originally posted by g_kristian80
    A bit off topic, but: I work like a block away from Modacar. I saw a silver ep3 in their shop a little while ago. Have they done work on your car as well?
    Unless the car was out front for about an hour or was on the dyno, then no. I've done almost all of the installs myself.

Originally posted by SiK24
    If I read your initial post corectly, your first dyno was done at a different place than with the hondata and exhaust. If this is true, that is where the problem is. Ive been at many different dyno shops and none are exactly the same. As long as they are the same brand, they will be close, but there will always be differences. Thats why you should stay with the same dyno shop to get accurate baseline and improvement numbers.
    I agree with you. In my mind I've thrown away the previous results. I suspect that the AWD Dyno Dynamics "Great dyno equalizer", as they put it, is not as accurate as they would have me believe. 145whp is still low for I/H/E, Hondata, and the intake gasket. Others with the same were getting around 150whp. I was really disappointed I didn't get at least to that number.

I do feel it was well worth the money to dyno the crush bent mid-pipe vs. the Comptech exhaust. The noise was too "boomy" for me and the gains appeared minimal on the dyno. Now that I've sold the exhaust back to 02SilverSiHB, both he and I are happy. He's got his exhaust back and I got to "test drive" it for a while. :D

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to go with an all-out NA engine (Type S head, possibly with K24 bottom), Jackson Racing supercharger, go for a better starting car platform (no Murcielago though), or just live with it for now. My wallet says "Stay where you are for now".

the initial 153.2 hp and 127.4 tq with I/H/midpipe and heatshield gasket seemed a tad bit high since ~145 whp seems to be the average for I/H/E bolt-ons on the A3.

i also would blame the variance on the differing dynos. i'm guessing weather wasn't too much of a factor since it's always pretty mild and cool in northern california.

i'm new.....i dont really get the first post?????can someone make this simple??
    what is the stock hp and tq on our car (2002 SIR)????
    what did he install???
    what is the gain???

actually i was going to buy short ram injen intake/ dc header/ and 2"25 midpipe.i have 5 zigen muffler already. i wanna know how many hp will give me and how many tq to my 2002 sir if i installed them???

please i need help on this. i dont wanna waste money.......for something that dont work well.

Originally posted by speedking604
    i'm new.....i dont really get the first post?????can someone make this simple??
    what is the stock hp and tq on our car (2002 SIR)????
    what did he install???
    what is the gain???

actually i was going to buy short ram injen intake/ dc header/ and 2"25 midpipe.i have 5 zigen muffler already. i wanna know how many hp will give me and how many tq to my 2002 sir if i installed them???

please i need help on this. i dont wanna waste money.......for something that dont work well.
    when you ask how much power the A3 has stock, there are two answers. it's 160 hp at the crank, but a dyno measures hp at the wheel, which in stock form usually falls between 135-140 whp (wheel horsepower).

quicksilver's inital dyno was with AEM CAI, DC header, crush bent mid-pipe and Hondata intake gasket manifold ... which produced the 153 whp and 127 wtq on a dyno dynamics system.

he later added a comptech exhaust (gets rid of the custom midpipe) and the hondata reflashed ECU ... but only saw 145 whp and 125 wtq on a dynojet.

here's what we've learned from other posts. a short ram intake may help with throttle response, but power gains will be minimal because you'll be taking in hot air from the engine bay. the DC header's design will give you some low-end. a 2.25" midpipe will free up a little power by helping to move exhaust gases a little more freely. the stock exhaust flows very well, but there's a split between those who think the exhaust only provides looks and sound or if there actually is a power gain to be had.

standard I/H/E usually gets the car to about 150ish whp from what i've seen.

someone correct me if i missed something

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information