Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anti-Lock

44 77.19%
  • Regular Braking

13 22.81%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by dj addicted
    all I have to say is try and stop really fast while in the rain... you will appreciate the ABS
    Thats why I appreciate it..

Abs = less work & thinking for you

Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by EP3ME
    Is it really that easy... does that creat any other problems?
    i think it's even easier - iirc there are two fuses you pull and abs is dead. i'll check the helms and let you know.

edit:
    the fuses involved are:
    under hood #7(15A), 8(20A), 10(40A), 19(80A), 20(40A)
    under dash #10(7.5A), 11(7.5A)

it looks like pulling under hood #8 and 10 will do the job. it will undoubtedly throw a code, but who cares right?

you may need to pull under dash #11, too - not really sure what that one does (it goes to the abs modular control unit without explanation).

other fuses:

under hood #7 is for the brake indicator in the cluster - so don't pull that one.

under hood #19 and 20 feed the ignition switch and the under dash fuse block so it's probably best to just leave them alone.

under dash #10 is for the abs indicator in the cluster - so you may want to pull this one, too - if you pull the others and don't want the light on.

i haven't done this yet, but was considering trying it at the next autox...
    Last edited by glw; 12-30-2003 at 05:44 PM.

Cool Thanks man...

Thank you sir!!! I await...

ephatch member
    with the stock rubber and brakes ABS will kick in all the time, upgrade those item and you'll find ABS will only kick in when you really need it.

opens the taps
    In the past I always hated ABS as I thought that I posessed enough skill to modulate my brakes in any situation. I'm now pro-ABS.

A trip in the mountains of Quebec in a VW Golf without ABS with the passenger side tires continiously being driven on ice illustrated the fact that ABS is indeed a requirement should you have tires on surfaces of differential adhesion. You could be the most skilled driver in the world, however, without ABS you will never be able to brake the left or right side wheels independent of one another.

I got home safely, but my ass could have made a diamond out of a piece of coal.

Conduire au Quebec l'hiver c'est toujours excitant et c'est un defi.

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar
    ABS = Good thing.

Nobody's "mad drivin' skillz" can possibly match the performance of sophisticated ABS brakes.

Especially in our car, because the Electronic Braking Distribution works through the ABS. This allows each wheel to have different amounts of brake pressure.

At best, I would consider a dash mounted switch to turn ABS off for fun, but that's about it.

Originally posted by SiR Medic
    ABS = Good thing.

Nobody's "mad drivin' skillz" can possibly match the performance of sophisticated ABS brakes.

Especially in our car, because the Electronic Braking Distribution works through the ABS. This allows each wheel to have different amounts of brake pressure.

At best, I would consider a dash mounted switch to turn ABS off for fun, but that's about it.
    i, too, think that abs is a good thing... but during my autox runs it seemed that the threshold for abs was too low. abs would kick in and screw things up. now that i've gotten new rotors, pads, lines, fluid - i don't think i even hit abs anymore. i may try it myself, just for kicks though.

i like to have full control of the vehicle. i would prefer not to have anitlock but that is just me.

edit : glw is right about the abs being a little to sensitive. i think that it comes on prematurely.

ABS seems to work fine for me.

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar
    no abs + shock = death

anything that can prevent death because of human error is preferable.

all i know is when i brake moderatley while cornering the shit goes off and it makes me mad. is it safer to ABS? yes. do i care? no. if you wanna be safe than you should drive safely. most people drive beyond their limits.

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar
    Originally posted by irrational
    all i know is when i brake moderatley while cornering the shit goes off and it makes me mad. is it safer to ABS? yes. do i care? no. if you wanna be safe than you should drive safely. most people drive beyond their limits.
    abs isn't really for road racing or anything like that. for instance, imagine being beside a big flat bed trailer full of large metal drums full of something. The things fall of the truck and head straight for you. The natural human response in shock is to dodge the stuff while simultaneously braking. In those situations when turning and braking while under stress and full of adrenaline, it is easy to surpass the limits of traction of the tire. Driving safely will not prevent the unpreventable.

Originally posted by tony speed
    abs isn't really for road racing or anything like that. for instance, imagine being beside a big flat bed trailer full of large metal drums full of something. The things fall of the truck and head straight for you. The natural human response in shock is to dodge the stuff while simultaneously braking. In those situations when turning and braking while under stress and full of adrenaline, it is easy to surpass the limits of traction of the tire. Driving safely will not prevent the unpreventable.
    Agreed, also Tony your pm box is full. Check out this thread... http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...threadid=26985

Jon

irrational, your tires might be the cause of that issue. My ABS kicks on all the time with stock tires, and hardly ever at all with Azenis.

weird. i have upgraded wheels and tires. i have 21-45-17nitto neo gens on some 17x7 work emotions. i commonly run about 40 psi front and rear if that means anything.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information