Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anti-Lock

44 77.19%
  • Regular Braking

13 22.81%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Try going with 37 for a week, then 35.

i think during trail braking abs could be troublesome if abs kicks in before lockup really occurs. if abs kicks in before lockup you loose the ability to continue braking normally on your own - and once abs kicks in it doesn't seem to want to let go...

ps: i was on aftermarket tires during my stated experience, but now that i upgraded my brakes - i don't even think abs comes on anymore...

Cool Don't be insulted...

Here's the thing... the average driver wouldn't have a clue about the difference between ABS and regular braking. The better your feel, the less the need for ABS. The ugly modulation you feel while ABS is kicking in is a clear demonstration of technology and its' inability to keep up with human reflexes and technical prowess. I'm sorry but, if you are in favour of ABS you are just another old lady plodding along in my motherf#*cking way!!! Get real, pony up for lessons and learn how to drive properly.

ephatch member
    at one time i had a 91 chevy lumina without ABS....

trust me, ide rather have the ABS anyday!

distance

abs has shorter stopping distances than "pumping" with all the time and energy we put into are cars to make them work better, i don't get the point of taking of something that makes the car work better. just look at the numbers, with pumping you are forced to let off all of your braking just because one wheel locks up, abs allows you to stop better and more efficently on or off the track, besides who hits the brake in a corner, everyone knows you brake first then turn whether its a civic si, dodge viper, motorcycle, or formula one car.

For a while, I was really torn about not going with a CRX for autocross. Recently, I had the opportunity to run the same course in a 2000lb 91 CRX-Si that had new street brakes installed, back to back with my Si and its stock brake setup.

My only comment about driving the CRX: "I cant get this car to stop!" It was like it had no brakes at all.

Im totally spoiled by ABS, and learned my driving style (Yes, I've taken classes) with ABS. I dont think I could become expert enough to get along without it competitively in auto-x, or as safely on the street.

opens the taps
    Deep snow is the only driving condition that cars with "regular" brakes can typically stop in a shorter distance than an ABS equipped car. I think it was Car and Driver that determined this in instrumented testing. They found that the built up snow in front of a locked wheel benefitted by reducing stopping distances, which will never occur in an ABS equipped car.

Obviously, and arguably the main benefit from ABS is not a reduced stopping distance, but the ability to steer when the brakes are hammered.

Cool re: n8dawgsnu

...not necessarily true about braking first and then turning. Ascari is commonly held to be the forefather of "trailbraking" which is used extensively in racing to pitch the car; particularly in order to combat understeer. Mario Andretti was known to 'pitch the car' into corners by braking slightly while turning in on a regular basis!!! Incidently, he won the world drivers' championship in '78.

If you own an EP3 and haven't beefed up your rear sway bar, you should know all too well about understeer. Solution: buy the Mugen rear sway bar or, learn how to trailbrake.

Almost running into the back of this a$$hole who slammed on their brakes in front of me this morning triggered led to hard braking which my ABS and I sure as hell am glad that it did. Although I over reacted because he was far enough in front of me, it still scared me thus the panic and the slamming of the brakes. Shows I can react though, ehh?

I am pro ABS (my first car with it)
    The Original Noob with Boobs

Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
    Almost running into the back of this a$$hole who slammed on their brakes in front of me this morning triggered led to hard braking which my ABS and I sure as hell am glad that it did. Although I over reacted because he was far enough in front of me, it still scared me thus the panic and the slamming of the brakes. Shows I can react though, ehh?

I am pro ABS (my first car with it)
    your avatar freaks me out :D

Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
    Hey thanks...I got really tired of having the EP front on my avatar because I felt like it didn't distinguish me. You know, cuz like you can immediately spot a Bobdobbs, ZerothreeSi, TypeX or TrippZ post by their avatar pics so I kinda wanted to be noticed.
    :D
    I thought it was cute/weird/funny
    Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 01-02-2004 at 11:24 AM.
    The Original Noob with Boobs

I hate our ABS

it engages way too early while brakeing, in my old delSol (S base model w/rear drums!) the brakes had a much better feel, abs is for non-drivers threshold brakeing is for pros

if anyone knows how to disable it please share

Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
    yup me too
    abs only because it has saved my ass twice in the rain! my old honda had drums in the back and i agree they do feel better but i have slid pretty far in that car too.

Re: Don't be insulted...

Originally posted by EP3ME
    Here's the thing... the average driver wouldn't have a clue about the difference between ABS and regular braking. The better your feel, the less the need for ABS. The ugly modulation you feel while ABS is kicking in is a clear demonstration of technology and its' inability to keep up with human reflexes and technical prowess. I'm sorry but, if you are in favour of ABS you are just another old lady plodding along in my motherf#*cking way!!! Get real, pony up for lessons and learn how to drive properly.
    what braking upgrades do you have installed on your car?
    what kind of tires?
    what kind of track experience do you have?

I'm just trying to understand why you're so opposed to ABS. If you properly treshold brake, you will almost never feel the ABS trip in the ep3. A lot of times< bumpy pavement will cause the abs to trip and for good reason - you have less traction availible for stopping over bumpy pavement. On the street, ABS is awesome to have. On the track, ABS is awesome to have.

If you haven't upgraded the stock braking setup, and if you haven't gotten some sticky tires, I suggest you do those things first before you pass final judgement on ABS in the ep3. A lot of people complain that the abs defeats the ability to use trail braking to start the car rotating through a turn, but I haven't found that to be the case at all, further more, If i'm coming around a turn on the street, and I have to stomp on the brakes, my car rotates. If i come around a turn hard, and stomp on the brakes, the ABS won't save my car from spinning out.

All abs really does is help you to steer the car while braking over less than ideal surfaces (bumpy pavement, wet pavement, sandy pavement, etc.)

Also, electronic braking systems are relatively common in professional racing. It's very difficult to police the electronics and it's far too easy to bend the rules on what is and isn't allowed.

i just wish that the abs would be less sensitive. i have made my abs kick in with out warrant more than 5 times :m:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information