Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anti-Lock

44 77.19%
  • Regular Braking

13 22.81%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Originally posted by irrational
    i just wish that the abs would be less sensitive. i have made my abs kick in with out warrant more than 5 times :m:
    when you say without warrant, how do you KNOW that the abs was really unnecessary?

It's easy to make the abs "less sensitive." Get better tires. the more traction you have, the less likely it is that ABS will trip.

I run 225/50/15 tires, and it's pretty rare that ABS kicks in during spirited driving. If you're running stock tires, then ABS will trip all the time, but it's not without reason - the stock tires SUCK and offer very little traction for braking.

ok maybe one out of the five times could have resulted in lock-up without abs. the thing is that i have good suspesnion and good rims and tires. i am dropped on progress springs with both the front and rear progress sways. i am rolling on 17x7 work emotions wrapped in nitto neo gen 215-45-17s.

Originally posted by chunky
    ...the more traction you have, the less likely it is that ABS will trip...
    isn't that counter to what abs is all about. even if you have better tires - if you have better (grippier;)) pads/lines/fluid, wouldn't it be easier for those pads/lines/fluid to to lock up the discs?

Originally posted by glw
    isn't that counter to what abs is all about. even if you have better tires - if you have better (grippier;)) pads/lines/fluid, wouldn't it be easier for those pads/lines/fluid to to lock up the discs?
    yes, it would be easier to lock up the wheels, even with grippier tires.

I'll put it this way, I could trip abs at 80mph with the yokohama avs es100's with my current brake setup.

but when driving, even if i need to brake at the last minute, the tires have enough traction to where I can slow the car down without tripping ABS.

Irrational: although you have 215mm wide tires, the nitto neo gen tires are far from what I would call a sticky tire. They are classified as an all season tire. a 205/50/15 azenis would probably give you more grip than those tires in a 215.

they may not be nearly as sticky as the azenzis but. they are worlds better than the stock tire. i would have gotten the azenzis if they came in the exact size that i wanted.

Angry ABS

ABS=Rice:p

Originally posted by glw
    I dont think you need to 'lock up' to trip abs, its when the wheels are spinning at vastly different speeds while you're braking. I dont know if thats the exact science of it, but it takes about a day of driving on stickier tires to see how a lack of traction= lots of ABS, and lots of traction= hardly ever use ABS.

a 205/50/15 azenis would probably give you more grip than those tires in a 215.
    The 205 Azenis have an uncommonly wide contact patch that is said to be equal to many 215s and 225s.

Originally posted by EP3ME
    ABS=Rice
    I think that's extreme. Think of the ITR, the CTR, the S2K, the NSX...

If anything, ABS will keep you from making flat spots on your expensive tires when you lock up. I dont think anyone here could do a braking-intensive course better in the EP without antilock brakes, especially in diverse gravel and wet conditions you typically find off-track...

Somebody prove me wrong, then teach me how to brake better than my ABS can.

Banned

Cool ABS

re: I think that's extreme. Think of the ITR, the CTR, the S2K, the NSX...

If anything, ABS will keep you from making flat spots on your expensive tires when you lock up. I dont think anyone here could do a braking-intensive course better in the EP without antilock brakes, especially in diverse gravel and wet conditions you typically find off-track...

Racing drivers have been proving you wrong for decades... none of them prefer abs to direct feel. I'm not saying that the average schmoe doesn't benefit from abs: I'm saying that experienced qualified drivers prefer to drive without!

well put miranda

Originally posted by BlasTech
    I dont think you need to 'lock up' to trip abs, its when the wheels are spinning at vastly different speeds while you're braking. I dont know if thats the exact science of it, but it takes about a day of driving on stickier tires to see how a lack of traction= lots of ABS, and lots of traction= hardly ever use ABS.

The 205 Azenis have an uncommonly wide contact patch that is said to be equal to many 215s and 225s.

I think that's extreme. Think of the ITR, the CTR, the S2K, the NSX...

actually, ABS will typically only step in to prevent impending lockup. Don't confuse this with traction control, which will in fact step in to compensate for wheels that are spinning at a different rate.

Every abs system is different, and a lot of abs systems do incorporate traction control functions (we have EBD, not true traction control, but it does apply increased intelligence to the action of the ABS system).

abs is awesome if you have r-compound tires. it's way easy to flat spot r-compound since the tread is so soft.

Re: ABS

Originally posted by Miranda
    Racing drivers have been proving you wrong for decades... none of them prefer abs to direct feel. I'm not saying that the average schmoe doesn't benefit from abs: I'm saying that experienced qualified drivers prefer to drive without!
    on the ep3, you'll almost never feel abs on a road course.

abs however is an issue for auto-x. but a majority of the auto-x drivers that I know who have ABS equipped cars prefer that to non-abs equipped cars.

Lockup is typically only a major concern at lower speeds. f1 drivers are typically going to fast to ever see abs in action if it was installed. the only reason why they say they do not prefer it is b/c they don't stand to benefit from it at all.

actually, ABS will typically only step in to prevent impending lockup. Don't confuse this with traction control, which will in fact step in to compensate for wheels that are spinning at a different rate.

Every abs system is different, and a lot of abs systems do incorporate traction control functions (we have EBD, not true traction control, but it does apply increased intelligence to the action of the ABS system).

abs is awesome if you have r-compound tires. it's way easy to flat spot r-compound since the tread is so soft.
    OK, thanks.

If there is a way to remove the ABS, I'll give it a fair try at an auto-x this year, but it has saved my ass on the streets a few times already.

ABS=Rice ooookkkaaayyyyy

Anyway, as for autox and abs...I've never had abs engage when I'm on the track...but then again, I'm not as good as blastech :D
    Actually, I take that back about the abs thing, it happened once when I lost total control...I guess it depends on the driver?

Originally posted by Peking
    I have had a few without anti-lock, all I have to say is I would take anti-lock anyday.
    True dat!

Plus, added safety and avoiding flat spots (lockups) with anti-lock brakes.
    Last edited by HondaMan; 01-07-2004 at 10:33 AM.

Originally posted by BlasTech
    OK, thanks.

If there is a way to remove the ABS, I'll give it a fair try at an auto-x this year, but it has saved my ass on the streets a few times already.
    I wouldn't bother. it's awesome on the street. and it doesn't intrude on the track.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information