Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anti-Lock

44 77.19%
  • Regular Braking

13 22.81%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimario View Post
    So, to amend your statement, ABS stops cars faster for 99.5% of drivers and not everyone then?
    Sure. But driving on the street, I'd say the number is closer to 100%.

That's not to say, there aren't some. Yet, I think everyone is better off not disabling it. I went back and re-read your post. I could see that on a track you might not want it. And to be frank, it's more fun to slide a little. It's that getting to know your car thing. But that's a controlled environment.

Now, some kid, who just thinks there better than the machine, that disables ABS, probably needs it. Especially in rain or snow. Plus a lot of people don't keep up on maintenance of the car. Thinking their tires have the grip, but they're worn. I mean, ABS isn't going to save you from driving like a butthead, or make the deer not jump in front of you, but it doesn't hurt. I think it's human nature to jam on the thing that stops the car in the emergency situation. So I'm very pro ABS.

So I can say with a high degree of confidence, that ABS stops the car quicker.
    Last edited by Drew1d; 12-13-2010 at 10:47 PM.

The issue on track with this particular ABS system is that its a simple 3 channel setup. Meaning the two front wheels have their own circuit, where the rear two share one.

What that means to you and me is that when you trail brake that inside rear wheel gets light and can easily start to skid (or dog leg and lock up). The ABS, being a simple 3 channel, ends up blocking out both rear tires once one of them starts to slip.... which reduces your braking at the rear end & reducing the effectiveness and usefulness of trail braking all together.

So, if you are complaining about ABS on track this is more then likely what you are experiencing.

As far as being able to stop faster with out it... that to me is irrelevant, as the real question is consistency, especially on the street. You may be able to out brake ABS in a controlled environment, but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to repeat that level of control when its an emergency; less so if its in a low grip situation.

For me, I disable ABS for track and autocross because it gives me better control of the car, not because it may allow me to slow the car faster. On the street, I enable ABS, because you never know when you have to slam on the brakes. Also, if you get in an accident and they find your ABS was disabled... you better hope you were not the cause of the accident, or even partially at fault....

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1d View Post
    So I can say with a high degree of confidence, that ABS stops the car quicker.
    Yet you admit that in a completely controlled environment where a machine could depress the pedal with the optimal pressure, it would always stop shorter without ABS. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    The issue on track with this particular ABS system is that its a simple 3 channel setup. Meaning the two front wheels have their own circuit, where the rear two share one.

What that means to you and me is that when you trail brake that inside rear wheel gets light and can easily start to skid (or dog leg and lock up). The ABS, being a simple 3 channel, ends up blocking out both rear tires once one of them starts to slip.... which reduces your braking at the rear end & reducing the effectiveness and usefulness of trail braking all together.

So, if you are complaining about ABS on track this is more then likely what you are experiencing.
    Thanks for the info, makes perfect sense.

Would you mind sharing how to disable ABS without compromising other systems in the vehicle and retaining the ability to turn it on again? I haven't been able to find a straight answer to that question.

Yet you admit that in a completely controlled environment where a machine could depress the pedal with the optimal pressure, it would always stop shorter without ABS. OK.
    So in a man vs. machine contest, man would have a chance at winning. I like the idea of that. But it's an exception, not a rule.

Would you mind sharing how to disable ABS without compromising other systems in the vehicle and retaining the ability to turn it on again? I haven't been able to find a straight answer to that question.
    Easy, Pull the ABS Fuse form the engine compartments fuse box. Thats all I ever did.

Alright, thanks.

i've always preferred my brakes on my old civics

no abs is just how i like it

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information