Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    ephatch member

K24A1/K20A1 NA build

We have decided that the first path to take is the NA route. We are morphing a K24A1 with a K20A1.

We have torn the engine down more and here are a few pictures. To say the least, Honda engineers never cease to amaze me. Even their corporate mule motor has racing technology all through it.

The outer bore wall is thicker on the major and minor thrust to increase strength. The bottom of the block has a kick-out area build into it for windage. I also noticed that the block has the provisions for oil squirters but they are not machined. The bore is 87mm with a 99mm stroke (2353cc), rod length is 5.980" (RS-1.53), and the deck height is approximately 9.105".

The small end of the rod is bushed making the piston a full floater and the piston skirts are coated from the factory. The rods are a little scary looking.

The piston is strutted from the factory with a 1.2mm top ring, 1.2mm second ring, and a 2mm oil ring. The piston only weighs about 315g, which is extremely light for a stock piece.

We are having custom pistons made (11.5:1 compression) and am looking into using TSX rods. We will be using as many K20A1 parts as we can.

I will keep this thread going as I have new pictures and/or info.

Thanks,

Those piston walls do look alot thicker than the A3 for sure as you mentioned, I wonder if there is a block guard built for this yet?
    Nice pics.

Good work, keep us updated, and nice pics.

that's a sweet project you've got going. i hear the K24 responds well to mods, so it'd be interesting to see what the K20A head does for it. any ballpark numbers you're shooting for?

EDIT: i forgot to ask ... where you were able to pick up the K20A head?
    Last edited by Tenacious G; 01-06-2004 at 10:15 PM.

What's the K24 bore X stroke?

How about the K20's?

And the B16?

I'm still really skeptical about the K24's stroke. I'm sure it's a good motor but with a stroke like that it'd be dangerous at 8k even when built. With all the money you're putting into that motor, you could build a K20A or K20A2 to do 10k on a daily basis with good reliability and insane upper RPM power. I think the K24 will honestly limit the A2 head's ability to make good performancem even with TSX rods. But you never know, if over all torque/hp is what you're after than the K24 will do the job just fine. Good luck ;)

Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
    I wonder if there is a block guard built for this yet?
    Nice pics.
    I believe i saw one on Raceeng.com. It said for K20. There all the same.
    Originally posted by Rey
    What's the K24 bore X stroke?
    87 mm bore, 99 mm stroke.

David T- i totally agree with you. With such a long stroke and taking the engine into the upper rpms, you can run into the problem of piston speed. Too many rpms for too long can blow the head right off the block. I'd much rather have a build K20a, but a good K24 would be a hell of a stump puller. Just look at the Hasport EP3 K24/a2 head and jrsc = 293hp and 230 ft/lbs torque.

So a truck tire hit the front of my car, broke the radiator and it overheated ( I wasn't driving ). Honda won't fix and my insurance was supspended at the time !

My engine is blown and I found a K24 from a CRV for a pretty good price. I was going to do just the complete swap. I know I will get some tourqe but my question is are the Intake Manifolds different? Will the stock k20a3 Intake Manifold fit the k24 head?

Everything else should just plug in correct?

If there is something important that I need to know please let me know!

P.S. if anyone thinks that it would be easier to replace my stock head and that would fix the problem and u have a stock A3 head and you want to sell it for a cheap price, by all means email me at StayinSideways@aol.com or IM me at o2Hatch on AIM

Mugen02Hatch: ask B18CXr ... he's done a K24 swap. he has a pretty detailed thread about motor mounts and such.

Originally posted by Tenacious G
    Mugen02Hatch: ask B18CXr ... he's done a K24 swap. he has a pretty detailed thread about motor mounts and such.
    Sik24 also did a straight CRV swap and makes good numbers. I believe he is using the stock CRV head and intake.

ephatch member

Update - Pistons/Rods

We just got the pistons in today here is a look. They have a 3cc dome and should net 11.7:1 compression. They are now in stock.

Here is a side shot.

The rods should be done in the next week or so. Here is an example of a Subaru EJ20 rod that we had made.

We are also going to build the engine using the stock K24 head and some cams we are working on. I am hoping to crest 190 whp without running the type-S/R head/valvetrain, although the ultimate goal would be to break 200whp.

:shockm:
    11.7:1 compression
    Keep us updated.

Good luck with that head...after all the work you have done to date and the planning to stay N/A I would have thought you were going to use the K20A2 head. IMO your just prolonging the agony until you swap that head! You can grind/fabricate cams till the cows come home, still won't compare to the stock A2 head and true v-tec.;)

what kinda prices are you asking for the pistons?

what kinda prices are you asking for the pistons?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information