Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ephatch member
    Originally posted by onesikek9
    as far as the windage tray yes it fits...iam just concerned about the silent shaft removed..iam kind of iffy...i know they do it on the h22 but on a k motor???with that stroke do you think it would be wise to remove it???i really want to know befor i finish building the motor...ow i got my pistons today and they look almost the same except that the skirt is a littl longer maybe 1 mm..but my main concern is that the piston crown is taller..will it hit the head??its maybe 1mm taller or more...and the wrist pin does not fit...the pistons are 11-5-1 what do you think they are in this motor with type s head>>>do you think i will have over 200 hp to the wheels??
    Balancing shafts do not affect the longevity of the engine. They are merely a device to smooth out the secondary crankshaft forces inherent in 4 cylinder inline engines.

The compression using the pistons you purchased in a K24 would be around 13.4:1. This is with the piston .005 in the hole.

A K24 at 13.4:1 with a Type-S head had better be in the 230-240whp range.

Is this for your street car? What rods are you using? What is the pin diameter? Does the pin not fit the rod or the piston?
    Last edited by Payntech; 02-13-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Payntech, I was wondering after you build your K24...what RPMs are you expecting to that that monster to safely? Since it has a long 99mm stroke compared to the K20's 86mm. Eagerly waiting to see your results..as I am fascinated with you sticking with the dual-rocker arm VTEC setup, this will give us A3 guys more room and ideas in the future w/o a headswap.

ephatch member
    Originally posted by DavidT
    Payntech, I was wondering after you build your K24...what RPMs are you expecting to that that monster to safely? Since it has a long 99mm stroke compared to the K20's 86mm. Eagerly waiting to see your results..as I am fascinated with you sticking with the dual-rocker arm VTEC setup, this will give us A3 guys more room and ideas in the future w/o a headswap.
    8000 rpm

Originally posted by Payntech
    Balancing shafts do not affect the longevity of the engine. They are merely a device to smooth out the secondary crankshaft forces inherent in 4 cylinder inline engines.

The compression using the pistons you purchased in a K24 would be around 12.6:1.

A K24 at 12.6:1 with a Type-S head had better be in the 230-240whp range.

Is this for your street car? What rods are you using? What is the pin diameter? Does the pin not fit the rod or the piston?
    smoothing out the 2nd order harmonic vibrations is good for bearings.

but I don't think it will matter much overall in terms of longevity. but the extra smoothness is nice, esp if you have motor mount inserts.

Hey, I like this thread. Please, keep us informed.

The compression using the pistons you purchased in a K24 would be around 12.6:1.

A K24 at 12.6:1 with a Type-S head had better be in the 230-240whp range.

ok here is the deal i just finish it today>>the pins do not fit the rods i had to get them honed..i will be puting the motor together on monday...hopefully i can have some pics for yall...this motor will be going in a 99 civic hatchback...daily driven...my other daily driver is a 210whp 89 civic with ls vtec 12-5-1 stock cams and manifold i will be putting back on the itbs soon...ow by the way iam almost done with the itbs for the type s head i will post picks soon...as soon as i figure out how to post them lol..

cant wait to see the results of the k24build! i was really suprised with the long stroke 99mm = about 3.9in thats a longer stroke than my big block v-8 (3.75)

ephatch member
    Please see correction to the compression ratio. I was in the middle of a few things and entered the wrong stroke. We have been working on some 95mm b-series lately.

Please see correction to the compression ratio. I was in the middle of a few things and entered the wrong stroke. We have been working on some 95mm b-series lately.
    dude are you sure the cr will be that high...lol i cant daily drive that...i dont thnik it will be that high i can only see it 12-1 at the most...i will cc it on monday...the cr hieght on the piston is 1.181..maybe you can give me better #S...

ephatch member
    Originally posted by onesikek9
    dude are you sure the cr will be that high...lol i cant daily drive that...i dont thnik it will be that high i can only see it 12-1 at the most...i will cc it on monday...the cr hieght on the piston is 1.181..maybe you can give me better #S...
    The taller pin hieght actually makes it worse. What is your piston to deck hieght? ~.000"?

If the pistons are 11.5:1 (8cc dome) on a K20A2 and you are running it on a K24, with no other change than the bore and stroke, it will be 13.4:1.

We have a piston that is 1.161" pin hieght (Stock K24; .020" piston to deck) and the dome is 3cc. This will give you about 11.7:1.

The taller pin hieght actually makes it worse. What is your piston to deck hieght? ~.000"?

If the pistons are 11.5:1 (8cc dome) on a K20A2 and you are running it on a K24, with no other change than the bore and stroke, it will be 13.4:1.

We have a piston that is 1.161" pin hieght (Stock K24; .020" piston to deck) and the dome is 3cc. This will give you about 11.7:1.
    how do i measure pin height???

ephatch member
    Measure from the deck of the piston (Not the top of the dome) to the centerline of of the pin boss.

I would put the piston in and measure the piston to deck hieght.

are you guys talking about the 11.5:1 type-r pistons? what static CR will those yield in a k20a3 head?

ephatch member
    Originally posted by chunky
    are you guys talking about the 11.5:1 type-r pistons? what static CR will those yield in a k20a3 head?
    Chunky,

The compression would not change in an A3 engine or head since everything is dimensionally the same. Although, if you put that piston in a K24 it would yield 13.4:1.

Chunky,

The compression would not change in an A3 engine or head since everything is dimensionally the same. Although, if you put that piston in a K24 it would yield 13.4:1.
    ahh. So if I understand you correctly the stock k20a3 pistons have the same pin hieght as the type-r pistons as well as identical combustion chamber shape/dimensions?

so the k24 has a different combustion chamber shape? or is the difference solely in the pin hieght?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information