Close

ephatch member

automatic and standard..

If they made the Si in automatic would it beat the standard?

Me and my friend are debating which one is faster.. automatic base car vs the same car with standard. Does it depend on the car? Or is the standard always going to win with equal drivers. If someone can help me answer this, it would be much help. Thanks :D

Well, you can take the example of the SS Auto vs. the standard base rsx. The SS always shifts lower in the rpm range because it's limited by the tranny. An auto tranny would not beat a competent stick driver.
    Using the auto tranny only, and not using the SS is a worse bet against the standard.;)

I will say no, since you can push an manual farther than an automatic (auto will shift before redline, and takes longer to engage the next gear).

ephatch member
    If you really, really, really, really, really want to, you can turn your si into an automatic. Just steal a tranny from a wrecked accord or crv or element.

mt > auto

Assuming the gear ratios were exactly the same, the Manual should always still win.

Why?

The automatic transmission is often referred to as a 'slushbox', because there is not a physical connection between the engine and the wheels. Power gets from the engine to the gears by spinning a turbine in fluid that creates a vortex in the fluid which in turn causes another turnbine-like peice to spin that is connected to the gears.

There is naturally some power lost in the liquid's 'slippage', while in a manual transmission more of the energy is applied directly from the engine to the driveline, because the clutch is a physical connection, instead of a 'liquid' connection.

Now there is a new kind of auotmatic called CVT, that is like two opposing cones with band stretched between them. If you can move the two cones laterally and twist them just enough to always keep the band from rolling off the pointed ends, you have a continuously variable ratio you can adjust without ever disconnecting the engine from the driveline.

Right now it takes some serious money to make a CVT handle alot of power for very long. But these CVT transmissions are getting samrter and stronger every year...

Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
    mt > auto

CVT's have been around for a long time but have just recently improved greatly over earlier designs.

Depends on the car. Look at the Supra TT. The Auto tranny is better than the manual.

opens the taps
    An automatic may beat a manual car to a certain speed due to the number of shifts required to reach that speed. But I'd say 9 times outa 10 the manual is gonna take it.

Banned
    Originally posted by OziD
    Depends on the car.
    I agree with OziD!

Originally posted by 02HatchSI
    I agree with OziD!
    I think the same applies for the corvettes, but I would prefer a manual over an auto any day.

AT is always heavier than MT.

Thread Information