Close

i drive an rx7.

how does one do carbon fiber and fiberglass molding?

wellllll.? i took a trip to ace hardware and picked up some resin, fiberglass and a respirator and some other assorted crap and i was wondering if anyone can give ANY pointers on how to make moldings and assorted bodyparts, or maybe something i need that i forgot?

ANY help will be appreciated!!

Good luck!

i drive an rx7.
    well i got a huge sheet of fiberglass cloth, im gonna dick around with it and play with shapes.. i just laid out my first 12"x2" strip to see how strong it is. im realizing im going to need clay and release wax soon tho. what im really curious about is lightweight fabrication and such.. well i kno someone will help me someday

im with you id like to do something with fiberglass myself

wish someone out there would tell us how. instead of paying out the ass to have it done by someone else.

Here ya go! Order the Vid's and good luck!
    http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm

Originally posted by ATRIOT
    Here ya go! Order the Vid's and good luck!
    http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm
    Thats a expensive hobby.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    one of my friends builds fiberglass items out of sweatshirt material and soaks it in resin. you can staple the cloth to boards or whatever and build seamless speaker boxes. the sweatshirt cloth can be used as the only layer, but I would recommend over-laying real fiberglass. also, only get the weaved fiberglass, not the shredded glass sheets. the weaved fiberglass looks like white carbon fiber. it is much stronger than the shredded sheeting.

Select Products makes the best stuff for fiberglass and ABS work!
    Expensive but good.

ephatch member
    I make carbon and fiberglass stuff a living so if you have questions you can PM me if you like

Im in the Marines and i work w/ fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber and other composites on a daily basis. When i work w/ these we have a 2 part kit to use w/ them, and you have a specific ratio you must use. If you dont get the ratio right, and you mix it hot, you can burn the resin and then ruin your project, and if you mix it w/ not enough part a or b, then it wont cure right and your project is ruined. but when you get it right, it makes for a real strong finish. Im not sure if the kits you buy in the hardware store are anything like the ones i use, but im sure i can give you some advice about it, so pm me and ill be glad to help.

ephatch member
    it all depends on the materials you are using and they type of resin you are using as well to get the right mixing ratio. You really can't burn your resin. You can mix things too hot and warp your molds and if you mix too hat you will create air bubbles as well. Make sure you got the right epoxy because some are for adheasive and others is for laminating and that is what you need, the laminating. If you need materials shot me a PM cause I have hundreds of yards of different types of carbon and fiberglass I could sell yeah pretty cheap. You are going to want to learn with fiberglass first because that is realativly cheap. Be picky with your materials. You go cheap and generic and your product will show it!

i drive an rx7.
    yea ive been practicing with fiberglass for now

Originally posted by rs_1101
    yea ive been practicing with fiberglass for now
    this saturday, i'm gonna attempt to make custom fiberglass sub enclosure. gonna try to make the enclosure to look clean with only one 12" alpine type r sub and one small amp. lol. i'll post up pics when i'm done

Thread Information