Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGt?

EGt?

Can anyone explaine how an egt gauge would be better than a A/F gauge, and how it works.

ephatch member
    well in some bost aplications, egt are better b/c they are more acurate. a/f will read rich on soem kits out there b/c the ecu is set to be running rich.

i drive an rx7.
    thats what i heard. ive also heard that the af guages are flat out just inaccurate in some cases.

The purpose of a EGT guage is so you don't melt a cyclinder. Since the EGT probe is located closer to the exhaust ports than the O2 sensors, you will get a more accurate reading. Since engines under boost produce greater cyclinder temps. It is essential that you have a good EGT guage to keep form having a burnt valve or melted piston.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Vertigo
    The purpose of a EGT guage is so you don't melt a cyclinder. Since the EGT probe is located closer to the exhaust ports than the O2 sensors, you will get a more accurate reading. Since engines under boost produce greater cyclinder temps. It is essential that you have a good EGT guage to keep form having a burnt valve or melted piston.

Right-o

Steve
    I accept and embrace the ricer in me...

2016 DGM STi

thanks guys!:D

Originally posted by US_Si

Right-o

Steve
    Gee...Thanks for your vote of confidence Steve!

The best way to use an EGT gauge is for a reference tool. Dyno the car with wideband A/F and get it tuned properly. Once tuned properly and safely view the egt temps at cruising speed (highway light throttle) and at WOT. (wide open throttle) Those numbers become your baseline safe threshhold. example: 600c. is where your egt reads at wot on your boosted EP3 and one day you see the egt's suddenly bump to 650-675. Alarm in your head goes off and says hey... stop boosting the car and bring the car back to the tuner to verify whats wrong. Of course that's after you make sure you look the car over for blatently obvious mechanical issues like sudden increased boost level etc...

Originally posted by dw735
    well in some bost aplications, egt are better b/c they are more acurate. a/f will read rich on soem kits out there b/c the ecu is set to be running rich.
    opinion: dont get the apexi egt electric gauge

On the contrary I have had 4 different Apex's EL and EL2 EGT gauges in 4 different cars and they work perfectly every time. I love em.

Originally posted by SFPracing
    On the contrary I have had 4 different Apex's EL and EL2 EGT gauges in 4 different cars and they work perfectly every time. I love em.
    i only used the egt gauge on mi ep and i had a "bad" experince, but its kinda also cause of the person who installed it they did a "bird shiet weld" does apexi make two different ones? i had the el that was electric? mechanical ones???

the egt only comes in elec. with peak hold/memory/warning...

The EL was the old one
    the EL2 is the new one and has a control box like the DEFI's

so all egt'z come in electric? i thought automeeter comes in mechanical and electric?

FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    Autometer has one that "looks" analog. I was looking into buying it soon. it is fully digital behind the scenes with a analog face to it. But is is about as analog as an Autometer tach with memory functions... In otherwords - not analog at all - if you know what I mean ;)

Eric

i got megan racing EGT and im currently hooking it up can i drill the hole right after the downpipe cuz in the diagram it shows in the header but im boosting so....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information