Close

DIY: Shift Boot Cover Removal

I know this is VERY easy to some, but others keep asking this same question. So I went out and took some pictures and did alittle writing.

Time is KEY!!! Don't rush it. You're not trying to beat anyone. Also, be gentle, don't pull to hard, or else you'll pay for it.
    Enjoy

Last edited by raiyo; 02-19-2004 at 12:04 AM.

haha whats a modorator? estebones's Avatar
    ha ha I had been waiting for some one to post some thing like this for a while, I was affraid to ask... :D

thanks Raiyo!!

He is so right about taking your time. I was rushing it, and now I have to pay :( Also if you use a flat head to pry, wrap tape around it. So it will not scratch.

hey... i jus pop out the bottom, and run a screwdriver wrapped with a towel along the sides on up to pop out the top

Thumbs up

thanks a ton raiyo!!! instructions were to a "T" homey! now i dont have to be embarassed anymore of the wobbly boot with my aftermarket shift knob! WOBBLY BOOT = UNCOOLNESS :D :D

here's something else. i put in my short shift kit when it was hot as hell outside and i'm stupid so it took me a long time to do. my usdm rubber shift boot is all goofy looking now. it doesn't accordian right. i can't really remember, but i think i left the panel wiring connected while i was putting in the kit, and letting the assembly sit kind of hanging on the shifter in the heat effed up the boot. i'd suggest that if you are doing a short shift kit, go ahead and disconnect the panel after you pop it off the console while you put the kit in, it's definitely worth the extra effort.
    Last edited by camslash; 03-14-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raiyo
    I know this is VERY easy to some, but others keep asking this same question. So I went out and took some pictures and did alittle writing.

Time is KEY!!! Don't rush it. You're not trying to beat anyone. Also, be gentle, don't pull to hard, or else you'll pay for it.
    Enjoy

damn I need help, cuz I can't get the top out =[

Serial Driller
    there are two clips on those corners where the red circles are. Maybe you need to tug a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by parkjehhyun View Post
    shouldn't be too difficult. just take off the shifter, dig in the boot with your fingers and pry out the rest. it takes a little fidgeting and effort but only things holding it are some clips.
    Unfortunately since the site crash, everyone has to make sure their response is to a current post unless they're purposely resurrecting an old post. Your post today was to a post made 4 years ago......

Unfortunately the pics all pooped out

Thread Information