Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool I installed the Short Ram Intake I got off of ebay

Overall I'm pleased. It isn't as loud as the stock home made one I had. I'm not exactly sure why, but I like it.
    I haven't noticed any bogging out like I did with the homemade one. There are only a couple of things I don't like, and I'll post them one by one.

First the intake piping on this new one, doesn't increase as it leads to the filter, like the stock one does. Whether or not this really matters, I don't know. I'm not sure if it's like this with other intake..i.e. injen, aem.

Second, the fitting was exactly as good as I had hoped. The breather tube wouldn't align correctly with it, as you can see in the pic below. The tube that leads from the intake to connect to the breather tube, is at an angle and is too long. Nothing a few minor butting can't solve

not a complaint, but something I noticed. The intake filter sits really low and comes close, very close to touching what ever that is in the pic

And lastly, again no complaint, just something I noticed. The kit came with two blue extensions for connecting the intake to the throttle body. why, I don't know, I only used one. The filter fits right on the intake tube without the extension. Then the blue tube was supplied for the coolant line. I didn't use it, as it was actually too big and I feared that it may leak, so I just used the stock one.

by the way, sorry for the small pics. ephatch's server doesn't want to allow me to load up bigger pics, so I had to change the size. And imagestation still appears to be down.

I noticed that the intake has no problem with fitting to the breather hose in this pic from the company that sells it. I think it's because the intake pipping is actually sitting at an angle in relation to the throttle body. I tried that and it would work, except I don't want my intake not sitting flush with the throttle body

Any improvement in power and response? Also in that 3rd picture where it is sitting close aren't those the peices that move when you push the clutch in? Or when you move the shifter. If it is you might want to have someone push the clutch and maybe move the shifter and see if it gets any closer or even hits. Just a thought.

Originally posted by sicivic2002
    Any improvement in power and response? Also in that 3rd picture where it is sitting close aren't those the peices that move when you push the clutch in? Or when you move the shifter. If it is you might want to have someone push the clutch and maybe move the shifter and see if it gets any closer or even hits. Just a thought.
    defintely a power increase so far. As for that cable, it comes close, but even if it touch, it wouldn't cause a problem, I think once I modify the breather hose, it won't be as close.

bahhhhhh, garbage! (:D )

the stock home brewed intake is much better IMO, on my AV6 i bought the same flimsy cheasy intake IT SUCKED total donkey nuts but i only paid 27 shipped for it :). i still think you should have stuck with the stock'r.but oh well.

the design of the stock one acts like a velocity stack, speeding up the flow of air into the throttle body due to its tapered design. I like the oem piece for this reason.
    what you have is a homemade intake with a chrome pipe IMO.. and you paid 40+dollars for it. but hey im happy you are happy, so we are all happy right ! :) --good luck with your new one keep us updated on how you like it when it starts getting dull LOL:p ...

oh FYI i have never experinced this bog off the line with my home brewed intake, what did you mean by it bogged?

esphatch
    Hmm... yes I will agree with the fact that you would of been better off with a stock intake and just sealing off the resonator ports. You are dealing with 2 90degree bends to suck air from the BACK of the engine well... anybody else see the irony?
    Sorry, just my 2 cents.

btw the closer you get to the back of the engine the closer you get to the header which is the hottest exposed part in the engine bay!. id rather use the stock tube and keep it pretty close up front. even GRM used a modified stock intake and got REAL hrspwr. out of it ...--:)

Canuck
    well if you can get it to sit like its shown in the advertising pics it shouldnt be too bad. Actually the air in the far right hand side of the engine bay isn't that hot, the side that faces the header is warmer, the side that faces the wheel well is quite cool. That's what I noticed with my Tyhoon intake. My Typhoon intake is 2.75 inches all the way through, it doesn't taper either. Anyone know if the Injen intake tapers and what size piping it uses ?.

nikkotyper
    I would go with a tapered intake.
    Tapered intakes generate more flow velocity than constant diameter designs. Thus, they iprove low-end torque better and we can notice them better in everyday driving.

What is the diameter of our throttle body?

The throttle body diameter dictates the ideal intake diameter.
    So, it seems the best intake would be if it started about 0.5-1.0 inches above ideal intake diameter and then taper down to the ideal intake diameter at the throttle body.

i think you made a good choice by buying a real intake and getting rid of the home made one. It looks good to me. Dont be cheap

Looks good...probably the most bang for the buck you can get. However, I still like my Typhoon a lot! :)

BTW, I agree totally with JSIR...the header is not that close to the header on that side of the engine and there is lots of open air flow with the huge stock air box removed. Thus, I really doubt it gets warm enough to rob much power, if any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information